+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What apps cause battery drain in 2.1?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have a 3G and I feel like my battery is draining faster than my 2G... if anything I thought it would last longer. Just checking the time from the
    Thanks

Default What apps cause battery drain in 2.1?
    I have a 3G and I feel like my battery is draining faster than my 2G... if anything I thought it would last longer. Just checking the time from the lock screen a few times(maybe 5-12 times over a period of an hour) seems like it will be already loose 1%-2% of battery.
    I was talking on the phone, a 5 min coversation cost me 4% battery, at that rate I would be at zero after a 2 hour call... and the iphone is supposed to support up to 10 hours of talk time with 3G off.
    Im at work for 8 hours and starting from a full charge, just using the phone to check the time, very limited internet browsing on edge and texting here and there I leave at the end of the day with around 50% battery. I think thats a bit much, but maybe not.
    I going to charge my phone and not use it all night and see how much battery power it loses while sleeping.

Anyways, here is what I have installed
    --CYDIA APPS--
    ABRecentCleanup BossPrefs Toggle
    AppShare
    BossPrefs
    Cycorder
    Erica Utilities
    5 icon Dock
    Flashlight
    Intelliscreen
    Katras Weather HD(installed but not turned on in winterboard)
    MewSeek
    Mobile Substrate
    Mobile Finder
    Open SSH
    Orbz(added a clock & date widget to homescreen)
    PwnPlayer
    Quickgold
    SBSettings
    SwirlyMMS
    Winterboard

are any of these apps known to drain a lot of power?

from a full charge, after 6 hours and 57 mins of standby, my phone is not at 93%. Is that normal drain? I ask because I could swear that I never lost anything overnight while in standby with my 2G... maybe 1% or 2% if anything.
    Last edited by reznor9; 11-11-2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

All apps drain power.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    All apps drain power.
    even while the phone is sleeping?
    and as I understand it, some run in the background and use more battery than others, and some only use battery when they are actually being used.
    Maybe Im over reacting, Im not sure how most peoples batteries are holding up, but looking at the stats that apple gives it seems mine isn't up to par.
    ---------------------------------------------
    This is quoted off the apples iphone tech specs:
    talk time:
    Up to 5 hours on 3G
    Up to 10 hours on 2G

Standby time: Up to 300 hours

Internet use:
    Up to 5 hours on 3G
    Up to 6 hours on Wi-Fi

Video playback: Up to 7 hours
    Audio playback: Up to 24 hours
    -----------------------------------
    Im now at 91% after 8hours and 52 mins on standby... thats almost 10% of my battery after 9 hours of standby... at that rate of battery drain at most optimistically I would get 100 hours of standby time... thats 200 hours shy of what the apple site says.

If I find that no one has any answers or ideas then I will eventually try a fresh restore using it without installing anything, just to compare the battery usage, but Id hate to be without all my apps. Not sure if I have the patience to install just one app a day to troubleshoot it. Thats why Im asking here, incase someone else with this problem has done the work for me already...
    Last edited by reznor9; 11-11-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaxRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd like to know this, too

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

When the phone is sleeping, unless it has the app running in the background (via backgrounder) nothing is going to drain power because nothing is running.
    When I say NOTHING I mean no third party apps
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-11-2008 at 02:46 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaxRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, just found out via BigBosses very helpful guide

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Any app that wont close completly off Cydia like MewSeek can cause drain.

The biggest saving of battery I found was removing my Push email account and gmail account from the Mail app. I did it this weekend and havent charged my iPhone since Sunday morning and have used about 70-100 minutes of talk time on it and 500 texts since then. Battery was down to about 40% by the time I got home today.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRabbit View Post
    Yeah, just found out via BigBosses very helpful guide
    This is BY FAR the best explanation for slow down and battery drain I've ever seen. All your questions will be answered.

Thanks

81% after 16 hours and 21 mins...
    being generous I would say at this rate I would get now about 80-85 hours standby... which is lower than my speculated 100 hours.
    According to BigBoss' Blog Entry, the only thing really hitting me on battery should be intelliscreen(and he didnt even seem to sure of it in his entry).. Yesterday I removed intelliscreen and went the day without it and really saw no improvement in battery. I also removed the Katras Weather HD(well I unactivated it in winterboard so it wouldnt be constantly refreshing every hour) and still not a noticable change. Only thing I can think of is winterboard itself or quickgold(although BigBoss claims these have a very small footprint that use memory but shouldnt effect speed or battery at all). And I really dont want to uninstall either.
    Last edited by reznor9; 11-11-2008 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks

Well since no one has anything new to offer on the subject, I just did a fresh restore/jailbreak with quickpwn. The only app that I have installed is BigBoss' SBsettings so that I can enable the numeric battery.

Ill let you all know if my battery consumption changes. Hopefully it will. And I will add a different app every day to monitor the changes.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    Well since no one has anything new to offer on the subject, I just did a fresh restore/jailbreak with quickpwn. The only app that I have installed is BigBoss' SBsettings so that I can enable the numeric battery.

Ill let you all know if my battery consumption changes. Hopefully it will. And I will add a different app every day to monitor the changes.
    Please let us know. I'm very curious as well. By the way, if you have location services turned on, turn it off. I've found that the battery drians more with location services on by a fairly noticeably amount.

Thanks

doesnt appear to be a noticable difference so far. I am at 15 mins of usage, 6 hours and 10 mins of standby and battery at 94%.. if you look at my first post it appears to be the same. So I guess this is the norm on my phone?
    SBSettings either drains it or maybe I have to do a drain cycle... I'll try that today and see.

UPDATE: Although I cant say much for the battery consumption, I will say that without winterboard my iPhone is faster than I remember it ever being. I loved winterboard, but now that I have been without it for a day, I cant see myself going back unless they optimize everything because now my apps load fast... camera doesnt take 5-10 seconds to load, safari doesnt crash as much and the phone just functions better all around. Props to Saurik for making his great apps but winterboard is too taxing on performance.
    Last edited by reznor9; 11-13-2008 at 11:07 AM.