Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I want to break free from this cycle of replacing my iphone 3G!

To make you feel better, i'm the same.

I haven't replaced mine yet, but I dropped it and it has two tiny little marks on the back. Almost can't see them.

Every time I have my phone out, it bothers me.

i think i'll just leave this here...

[ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3733813548895662946]i_must_be_emo[/ame]
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vincentpjimenez View Post
    This is going to be my 5th iphone 3g being replaced! for the past 4 months since the iphone 3g's release in july, i have had 4 iphone 3gs already! all white 16gb, and the reason i kept on replacing was becasue of the stupid hhairline cracks on the back!!! I want to break free from this vicous cycle of buying and selling and replacing another iphone once it begins to get the cracks!!! im sick of this phone and i dont want to replace my iphone every month!! im losing $100 just by selling and buying another iphone! What other phones out there can i use that can replace the iphone 3g's capabilities. i know of htc touch hhd or sony ericsson xperia... i basically want something like an iphone... and i know its gona be a pain in the *** to sync my music without itunes!!! Oh Apple!!! why did u make such an inferior product! i was so happy with the 1st gen iphone that for 5 months it looked brand new!! and now this!! hell no... im not gona replace my iphone every month just for some stupid crack!! i wana break free!!!
    Here ya go if this makes you feel any better.. check out this site...

Apple sued over hairline cracks in iPhone 3G | The Toybox | ZDNet.com

Banned
    Thanks

^^ lol are u serious your phone is under your homeowners policy?
    Thats some crazy ****.. I never knew you could do that with a cell phone.. infact.. Im going to have to look into that.

I wonder how it would affect my rates if I lost my phone 7 or 8 times...

That could be a 4k profit easy on ebay if I were to sell my 'misplaced'ones. LOL!

of course Im only kidding.. insurance fraud is a stupid thing and its actually why insurance rates are so high.

When you pay so much money for a PHONE, it's understandable that you'd want a perfect piece.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carrbone View Post
    ^^ lol are u serious your phone is under your homeowners policy?
    Thats some crazy ****.. I never knew you could do that with a cell phone.. infact.. Im going to have to look into that.

I wonder how it would affect my rates if I lost my phone 7 or 8 times...

That could be a 4k profit easy on ebay if I were to sell my 'misplaced'ones. LOL!

of course Im only kidding.. insurance fraud is a stupid thing and its actually why insurance rates are so high.
    Yup my iphone is on my home owners... it covers it if you drop it, run it over, swim with it, more or less it will cover what Apple won't.... but it will not cover software issues.....

And it doesn't cost much at all as I stated...

Let me know what you find out from your home owners.... they will want the serial number from the phone also as mine wanted it from my phone..... for $24.00 a year you can't beat it....

allright... Heres a philosophical question for all of you... How long should an object last before it starts showing signs of wear?

In other words: how long would you like to use your phone before it starts to show? You put it in your pocket with keys, you handle it everyday, you bump it, you jostle it, sometimes you even (gasp) make phone calls on it. Guess what? I have earings in both ears! That means unless i am wearing my headset i am in danger of scratching the screen! Oh my! Hardware/software issues are one thing, but c'mon, your whining about insignificant cosmetics!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post
    allright... Heres a philosophical question for all of you... How long should an object last before it starts showing signs of wear?

In other words: how long would you like to use your phone before it starts to show? You put it in your pocket with keys, you handle it everyday, you bump it, you jostle it, sometimes you even (gasp) make phone calls on it. Guess what? I have earings in both ears! That means unless i am wearing my headset i am in danger of scratching the screen! Oh my! Hardware/software issues are one thing, but c'mon, your whining about insignificant cosmetics!
    I could own my iphones forever with NO signs of wear because I take care of them right...... as for the cracks he is complaining about..... that is a problem from Apple..... and why should he not complain about it if he has taken care of his phone? Apple made the iphone to be appealing and pretty and stylish.... they didn't intend to make it look that way and then to crack....

Some people treat the phone like just any other phone and some don't..... but I take VERY good care of my Apple products.... and they should last a long long time.... but c'mon why would you want a phone that has insignificant cosmetics? Especially if you did not do it and you knew it was a problem with the product?
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 11-15-2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Adding wording.....

all righty. Allow me to use use some old saying to make a point.

Rope me once, shame on you...

Rope me Twice, Shame on me...

Meaning that you've been burned already with the "white phone crack issue". So fine a couple of days go by and you realize that maybe something was kinda crappy, so you return it for a new one...

But then it happens again... And again... And again....

You starting to see a pattern here... Maybe... that the white phone has an issue and perhaps you should get...

THE BLACK ONE???

But no, you have to have the white one.

Okay fine, but gosh darnit by now you probably realize that it is well documented and acknowledged by the COMPANY WHO PRODUCES THE PHONE that the white phone is prone to cracks...

But that's okay, cause maybe my white phone wont be that way...

At that point it becomes something called "Buyer Beware".

After maybe by the second or even third time of returning, you think that the point would have been gotten, but apparently not. Now we just become gluttons for punishment, to damn stubborn to get it through our spoiled thick skulls that maybe instead of going back over and over to get the white phone that maybe we should get the black phone.

But no.

So now we just complain about that Apple is cramming their sub-standard product down our throats. Well who forced you to buy it? Did Steve Jobs hold a gun to your head and say BUY IT NOW???

Clearly not, but you know, I like the status of the white phone, and to hell whether or not it sux, I need a status symbol of the white freaking phone.

Hell, I don't even need the status of the white phone, i just need the status of the iPhone cause i feel cool to own one.

So I am just going to continue to get it over and over again and continue with the same problem over and over again, in hopes that one day I can have the Magical White phone that wont crack.

Of course, pretty much everyone who owns a white phone has cracks on...

If the phone was so bad, then a logical and reasonable person, would do something crazy like say...

Get a different brand.

Get a Blackberry, get a Diamond, get an Android, but for goodness sake if this thing is causing you that much pain then stop going back and getting the same thing over and over again.

Its like dating a really cute chick, but finding out that their personality is that of a rattlesnake.

Sure she's cute, but I can't stand to talk to her, but I'm gonna stay with her cause she's cute.

That's sheer stupidity.

Another expression goes along the lines of: Insanity is doing the same action over and over again and expecting different results.

So to wrap up...

The white phone has a known cosmetic defect.

Every body on the planet including the manufacturer acknowledges this.

There isn't a single person in the world who doesn't know this...

(honestly I asked)

Why would you buy the white phone and expect it to be any different?

Why would you buy the white phone, and constantly return it and expect it to be any different?

Why would you buy the white phone, constantly return it, and continue to get the white phone expecting that the new one is going to be any different?

Did Apple change the paint? The type of plastic? ANYTHING as far as the structure of the white phone? No. It's still plastic, coming from the same mold, using the same plastic and paint.

Have I returned and iPhone? Yes, it was for a bad headphone jack which is related to hardware. They gave me a new one. However if the same issue had happened two days later, then i would have returned it and been done with it.

But what is interesting to note in this particular case, is that the people who are noticing cracks probably don't keep them in any type of protective case.

I say because most people who do keep their phones in some type of casing usually don't take them out often. I myself and the 2 other people I know who have iPhone never take them out of the case except maybe once every blue moon to clean them.

But for the most part, I leave it it it's nifty little black silicone case that I got at the att store.

And even if I happen to take it to clean some of the dust and smudges and pocket lint that has surely accumulated, and I notice that heaven forbid there is a crack, I wont really be that bothered. It's like complaining that my car engine is a bit dirty from being driven. I don't stare at it all day.

I leave you all with this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzG_oHDLZdc"]YouTube - When spoiled rich girls dont get the correct color car for..[/ame]

***end rant***
    Last edited by boe_dye; 11-15-2008 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks

all righty. Allow me to use use some old saying to make a point.

Rope me once, shame on you...

Rope me Twice, Shame on me...

Meaning that you've been burned already with the "white phone crack issue". So fine a couple of days go by and you realize that maybe something was kinda crappy, so you return it for a new one...

But then it happens again... And again... And again....

You starting to see a pattern here... Maybe... that the white phone has an issue and perhaps you should get...

THE BLACK ONE???

But no, you have to have the white one.

Okay fine, but gosh darnit by now you probably realize that it is well documented and acknowledged by the COMPANY WHO PRODUCES THE PHONE that the white phone is prone to cracks...

But that's okay, cause maybe my white phone wont be that way...

At that point it becomes something called "Buyer Beware".

After maybe by the second or even third time of returning, you think that the point would have been gotten, but apparently not. Now we just become gluttons for punishment, to damn stubborn to get it through our spoiled thick skulls that maybe instead of going back over and over to get the white phone that maybe we should get the black phone.

But no.

So now we just complain about that Apple is cramming their sub-standard product down our throats. Well who forced you to buy it? Did Steve Jobs hold a gun to your head and say BUY IT NOW???

Clearly not, but you know, I like the status of the white phone, and to hell whether or not it sux, I need a status symbol of the white freaking phone.

Hell, I don't even need the status of the white phone, i just need the status of the iPhone cause i feel cool to own one.

So I am just going to continue to get it over and over again and continue with the same problem over and over again, in hopes that one day I can have the Magical White phone that wont crack.

Of course, pretty much everyone who owns a white phone has cracks on...

If the phone was so bad, then a logical and reasonable person, would do something crazy like say...

Get a different brand.

Get a Blackberry, get a Diamond, get an Android, but for goodness sake if this thing is causing you that much pain then stop going back and getting the same thing over and over again.

Its like dating a really cute chick, but finding out that their personality is that of a rattlesnake.

Sure she's cute, but I can't stand to talk to her, but I'm gonna stay with her cause she's cute.

That's sheer stupidity.

Another expression goes along the lines of: Insanity is doing the same action over and over again and expecting different results.

So to wrap up...

The white phone has a known cosmetic defect.

Every body on the planet including the manufacturer acknowledges this.

There isn't a single person in the world who doesn't know this...

(honestly I asked)

Why would you buy the white phone and expect it to be any different?

Why would you buy the white phone, and constantly return it and expect it to be any different?

Why would you buy the white phone, constantly return it, and continue to get the white phone expecting that the new one is going to be any different?

Did Apple change the paint? The type of plastic? ANYTHING as far as the structure of the white phone? No. It's still plastic, coming from the same mold, using the same plastic and paint.

Have I returned and iPhone? Yes, it was for a bad headphone jack which is related to hardware. They gave me a new one. However if the same issue had happened two days later, then i would have returned it and been done with it.

But what is interesting to note in this particular case, is that the people who are noticing cracks probably don't keep them in any type of protective case.

I say because most people who do keep their phones in some type of casing usually don't take them out often. I myself and the 2 other people I know who have iPhone never take them out of the case except maybe once every blue moon to clean them.

But for the most part, I leave it it it's nifty little black silicone case that I got at the att store.

And even if I happen to take it to clean some of the dust and smudges and pocket lint that has surely accumulated, and I notice that heaven forbid there is a crack, I wont really be that bothered. It's like complaining that my car engine is a bit dirty from being driven. I don't stare at it all day.

I leave you all with this:

YouTube - When spoiled rich girls dont get the correct color car for..

***end rant***
    White phone = 16 gig...... and if you wanted or needed more space that is why white phone.... no status needed.... just more space..... and I am sure if he could get the black one 16 gig he would have..... and remember NOT ALL white phones crack...... and I also keep my phones in cases as well....

you can get a black 16 gig iphone.

Both my friends have black 16 gig iphones.

it's the 8 gig that only comes in black...

at least that is according to apples web site:

Apple - iPhone - Technical Specifications

left column, second box down underneath "Technical Specifications"

and while you might be correct in saying "NOT all white phones crack"...

At least in the original posters case... They do.
    Last edited by boe_dye; 11-15-2008 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Well this thread is to try to help people out that are having this problem..... as far as the black one... I bought mine when it first came out and the black was only in 8 gig.... so I did not know there was a 16 gig now...

Here is a thread on Apples forum site.... even the black phones have the problem as well.... some of these stories are crazy what Apple said or did.... just like the person that started this thread.... pretty funny that Apple removed a previous thread about it and someone started a new one again on their site....

Apple - Support - Discussions - iPhone 3G - Cracks in Plastic Housing ...

Here's a link to where you can see that the black ones crack as well....

http://gallery.me.com/langpap#100042...or=black&sel=5

So the moral of the story is for Apple to fix this problem period in my eyes....
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 11-15-2008 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Added Link

fair enough on all counts.

i do remember something that when they first came out the 16 gig was only in white.

In the black phones case, those cracks are barely noticeable. I can sort of see them, but again not really so I can see how they are noticeable in the white phone.

Clearly then it is a flaw in the manufacturing process.

But that still falls under the other point. We are aware of this issue. We all know that they casing sux.

This argument of course is only valid for us cause we are "in the know", and not necessarily from people off the street.

Thanks

Well I think its pretty bad if your phone does crack and Apple doesn't replace it if you have taken care of it that is..... Apple would know if you took care of it or not because of the chrome on it.... and also I think its pretty bad that if your phone did crack that when they give you a new one it has cracks in it as well new out of the box... what the heck? And they think you should accept it?

because i am not totally heartless to the situation and disappointment that may come with some crackage (ooh a new word!) i did some searching, and came up with this:

Silver Metal Back Cover Housing+LCD Flim For iPhone 3G - eBay (item 120333781528 end time Dec-13-08 17:58:48 PST)

Now the wording and the pictures don't exactly add up cause the pics show a 1st gen, but the description says it's for a 3g.

I'm almost certain that it's not an overlay, but instead a complete housing replacement.

If anyone has any ideas on this, share yon knowledge!

Thanks

because i am not totally heartless to the situation and disappointment that may come with some crackage (ooh a new word!) i did some searching, and came up with this:

Silver Metal Back Cover Housing+LCD Flim For iPhone 3G - eBay (item 120333781528 end time Dec-13-08 17:58:48 PST)

Now the wording and the pictures don't exactly add up cause the pics show a 1st gen, but the description says it's for a 3g.

I'm almost certain that it's not an overlay, but instead a complete housing replacement.

If anyone has any ideas on this, share yon knowledge!
    This is pretty interesting..... we should email this guy and ask him about this and see what he says.....

done and done, i asked if it was an overlay or a back casing replacement. I also asked how it attaches just in case.

Oh, and i asked the type of metal used (steel, aluminum, brass, tin. Etc).

Once/if i get a responce i shall post my findings.

Thanks

i queued up on day of release and got a 16gb black 3g and the white wasnt available initially. remember this is a worldwide community guys.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

hmm, then perhaps my memory is false. In all honesty i wasn't paying too much attention because at that point I wasn't interested in getting one yet.

Although, I wonder if it is a regional type of thing.

Here is an article dated June of 08 saying that the white phone was a limited edition 16 gig phone.

White 16 gig iPhone - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)

and over here at endgadget they have an article from after release comparing the two.

Black iPhone 3G vs. white iPhone 3G... fight! - Engadget Mobile

This is so stupid to be bringing this up a month later, however ebay never informed me that I had gotten a reply from the fellow who was selling the casing that I mentioned about above.

So without further ado, and a freaking month later I have an answer:

According to the ebay seller, the casings mentioned above are made out of aluminum and are a complete rear housing replacement for the 3g iPhone.

Here is the link again, and I would say that this could be a very nice viable solution to the so-called cracked back problem regarding the 3g iphones

My only real concern would be loss of signal due to the aluminum.

So, who want's to buy it first to tell us how well it works?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast