Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Am I the only one who hates iTunes?

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abspatel View Post
    What? A thousand lulz at you calling iTunes a far superior media player. For music, yea, maybe...cough, cough, winamp, cough. To organize your music, with out a doubt THE BEST.

But overall, HELL NO. It takes about 20 seconds to fully load on my laptop, Windows Media Player 5 seconds, and VLC pretty much instant. Also why do I need 5 separate services running int he background to make iTunes run 'smoothly'?

And how about the fact that about 75% of it's Windows based users can't play video on it because it turns their PC into timebomb, using up every scrap of resource to play a quicktime file making your PC want to grow arms so it can punch you in the face repeatedly whilst begging you to KILL ITUNES before it blows up. But the same movie plays just fine using the Quicktime player.

K-Lite codec pack + WMP > iTunes when it comes to being a true Media Player.

You may have indicated that this is an APPLE forum, but it's also an iPhone forum, and I'll bet you that the majority of iPhone users have PC's.
    i honestly have had not one problem with it on my mac or my pc
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko
    It always amuses me that Windows users expect every other company out there to conform to Windows standards. Ah Bill, what a substandard world you've created, and even convincing your users to have substandard expectations.

Through iTunes I have been downloading Album Artwork, getting Podcasts and using smart playlists for years, and I've never been asked for my credit card number. Not sure what world you're living in. And movies... feed your Divx movies into iTunes, right-click on them and select "Convert Selection for iPhone". Simple as that.

You should really investigate what features a program has before flaming it.
    As a Mac user, you've probably just taken what's given to you. It's what Apple is all about. On Windows, we have variety.

I'm not trying to flame you, but it's just irritating when Mac people lick Apple's feet at the mention of any problem relating to their products. Apple is not a perfect company. As a matter of fact, it seems to be managed with a general air of bloated ego. They rarely listen to customers.

If Apple stuff is supposed to "just work", then ask me why I have to SIT AND WAIT to SWITCH TABS on iTunes. Even better, can you explain why, even though I repeatedly tell QuickTime to leave my computer alone, it takes over the playback of every media file on my computer and browser?

Even if iTunes WERE a properly developed application, any decent company would allow a user his or her own choice in what app is used to work with the device on a computer. But of course not. Because we're Apple, and our users are far too stupid to make their own choices. Let's just lock everything down to hell, and force whatever we give them down their throats.

And for your information, unless a song's metadata exactly matches the iTunes offering, it won't let you pull album data. So it's basically saying "Either buy another DRM-shitted-down copy from our store or spend a few days renaming your entire library to match ours. Then you get your album art."

Don't always rush to Apple's defense. It makes plenty of mistakes, and the fact that you and so many others are always blind to their errors just makes them more comfortable about creating substandard products.

[/rant]

To the OP, yes, you're absolutely right, iTunes is bloated, has nothing going for it that makes it stand out, and a lot of the stuff on it is meant to not-so-subtly push you towards buying something. I wish Winamp could sync iPhones, I would uninstall iTunes right now if it could.

I really don't know why Apple doesn't get sued for anti-competitive tactics. EVERYTHING on the iPhone has to be done through iTunes. It'd be fine if iTunes was a passable app, but it really isn't.
    Last edited by _ducky; 11-12-2008 at 01:36 AM.

Thanks

Simple drag and drop, that's all I want. I hate this playlist nonsense. I'm not saying eliminate iTunes as a conduit trough which you put stuff into your iPhone, I'm just asking for an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by _ducky View Post
    As a Mac user, you've probably just taken what's given to you. It's what Apple is all about. On Windows, we have variety.

I'm not trying to flame you, but it's just irritating when Mac people lick Apple's feet at the mention of any problem relating to their products. Apple is not a perfect company. As a matter of fact, it seems to be managed with a general air of bloated ego. They rarely listen to customers.

If Apple stuff is supposed to "just work", then ask me why I have to SIT AND WAIT to SWITCH TABS on iTunes. Even better, can you explain why, even though I repeatedly tell QuickTime to leave my computer alone, it takes over the playback of every media file on my computer and browser?

Even if iTunes WERE a properly developed application, any decent company would allow a user his or her own choice in what app is used to work with the device on a computer. But of course not. Because we're Apple, and our users are far too stupid to make their own choices. Let's just lock everything down to hell, and force whatever we give them down their throats.

And for your information, unless a song's metadata exactly matches the iTunes offering, it won't let you pull album data. So it's basically saying "Either buy another DRM-shitted-down copy from our store or spend a few days renaming your entire library to match ours. Then you get your album art."

Don't always rush to Apple's defense. It makes plenty of mistakes, and the fact that you and so many others are always blind to their errors just makes them more comfortable about creating substandard products.

[/rant]

To the OP, yes, you're absolutely right, iTunes is bloated, has nothing going for it that makes it stand out, and a lot of the stuff on it is meant to not-so-subtly push you towards buying something. I wish Winamp could sync iPhones, I would uninstall iTunes right now if it could.

I really don't know why Apple doesn't get sued for anti-competitive tactics. EVERYTHING on the iPhone has to be done through iTunes. It'd be fine if iTunes was a passable app, but it really isn't.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrsidewayzz's Avatar
    Thanks

I have no issue with iTunes or apple products, just find you a video converter and don't buy iTunes stuff. LOL.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    Simple drag and drop, that's all I want. I hate this playlist nonsense. I'm not saying eliminate iTunes as a conduit trough which you put stuff into your iPhone, I'm just asking for an alternative.
    You'd rather have drag and drop as opposed to just clicking a few times and having your top 2000 songs on there?
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Windows users have no idea how awesome iTunes is on a MAC. Let me paint the scene for you.......

You own an APPLE iPhone. You connect it to your APPLE computer. Your APPLE iTunes comes up and pulls your photos out of APPLE iPhoto and syncs what you want over to your APPLE phone. Then it grabs your tasks, schedules, address book, phone numbers, contacts, alarms, todo's, and a plethora of other information from APPLE iCal. Then it checks back with your APPLE Safari browser and syncs your bookmarks to match your computer.

So in short...... the problem, is you. Trying to run an Apple program on a windows machine is like trying to stick a Ford transmission in a Chevy.

You don't really have a choice if you have a windows machine, but the title of this thread should be "Am I the only WINDOWS user that hates iTunes".
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    You'd rather have drag and drop as opposed to just clicking a few times and having your top 2000 songs on there?
    I don't have 2000 songs on my phone therefore, yes, I would rather drag my songs in. (Don't try to interpret this as me speaking for everyone, this is just my opinion.)

Thanks

I used drag and drop until I got a 16gb....... things change then. You just let it make you a playlist at that point. Pulling from 250gb of music and making a playlist for 14gb of transfer in little songs.... yeah autosync works at that point.

When I had an 8gb, No problem. After you put the apps on, It only holds like 12 songs

PS- for the record if I had a windows machine personally I'd likely buy a blackberry or G1 and just give up. I feel your pain.

On a Mac though..... OOOOHHH it's nice.
    Last edited by one1; 11-12-2008 at 04:45 PM.

iTunes isnt my favorite program to use, but as long as I can buy/import songs, and keep my iPhone synced up nicely, Im good to go. No real complaints here from a Windows user...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    no your not.it stinks.
    MEDIA MONKEY all the way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by driffty View Post
    no your not.it stinks.
    MEDIA MONKEY all the way
    AH HA! I've been telling everyone all along a monkey could do this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faxmonkey View Post
    I love my iPhone, don't get me wrong -- but I just absolutely cannot stand iTunes. It's feature-poor, heavily-bloated, and has a bad UI. Every feature seems calculated specifically to help Apple find a way to get their hands in your pocket.

Plenty of other players can download Album art, get Podcasts, or use "smart" playlists. Why is Apple the only one who requires you to have a credit card on file with them in order to do so? Does that seem a bit ridiculous to anyone else? Is it really necessary that Apple know who I am before sending me some Abulm Art or making a playlist for me?

And what about video conversion? It's bad enough that ipods/iphones are one of the few players on the market that don't support hard-drive mode and MUST be synced via iTunes, but how does Apple justify not support conversions between some of the most standardized formats in the industry? Great, it'll convert one resolution of quicktime into another. Now why can't it convert my DivX? Every other media player on the market comes with software that will convert DivX into whatever format that player supports. Apple is the only exception (actually, most players these days will just play DivX with no transcoding necessary).

Am I the only one that suspects that Apple intentionally denies this core functionality in a crass attempt to get you to simply buy iTunes store versions of your music/videos in order to avoid the hassle of buying/using a third party conversion software?

I could rant for days, but suffice to say that iTunes just really burns my butter. I don't know what I'd do without my iPhone but I just can't imagine how iTunes could have been made by the same company -- or even how it could have been made on the same planet.

Am I the only one? Really?
    I'm with you 100%. I cannot stand itunes... if not for my phone, it wouldn't even be on my computer.

For osx it's great, but windows not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Windows users have no idea how awesome iTunes is on a MAC. Let me paint the scene for you.......

You own an APPLE iPhone. You connect it to your APPLE computer. Your APPLE iTunes comes up and pulls your photos out of APPLE iPhoto and syncs what you want over to your APPLE phone. Then it grabs your tasks, schedules, address book, phone numbers, contacts, alarms, todo's, and a plethora of other information from APPLE iCal. Then it checks back with your APPLE Safari browser and syncs your bookmarks to match your computer.

So in short...... the problem, is you. Trying to run an Apple program on a windows machine is like trying to stick a Ford transmission in a Chevy.

You don't really have a choice if you have a windows machine, but the title of this thread should be "Am I the only WINDOWS user that hates iTunes".
    So what you're saying is, unless we become "APPLE" fabulous fanboy zombies, we dare not complain about an Apple product or application? Very convenient.

It's not "an Apple program running on a Windows machine" at all. If it's running on Windows, it's a Windows program. A pathetic excuse for one, in this case, perhaps, but still.

It doesn't matter what platform it's running on. They've written a crappy app. Not everyone enjoys living and breathing Apple, and for those people, there should be alternatives.

Oh, and by the way, do you realize how much you restrict yourself? You live your entire computing life by Apple, and that's exactly the way they want it. They love your complete dependence upon them for everything. Of course things work fine when one company has designed your entire computing experience. But oh, wait, what if you want to customize and get a different application on a Mac? Oh, that's right, you can go screw yourself, because you're stuck with what you've got. Apple's trying this same strategy on Windows. It won't work.
    Last edited by _ducky; 11-13-2008 at 03:46 PM.

im sure this would be totally illegal but i wish something like lime wire could make an add on with the ability to sync to a wide variety of phones and mp3 players that way you could download the music and then sync it from there instead of having to import...but im prolly just dreaming...

Thanks

lol, windowz fan boyz in the house. please, please, please dont hate on apple or apple users.

i use apple, a mac mini desktop and an advent 4211 with os x on it. a grand total of about 700 on hardware and my mac mini runs better for me than my home 600 desktop and my little macbook runs like a dream.

my friend also has the advent 4211, with xp on it.

we tried connecting both laptops to a 38" hd tv, and guess what, in os x it just recognised it straight away and worked, giving a range of outputs to flick through. in xp, had to fiddle with settings intel video driver and stuff, took ages and still couldnt get the output as good quality as os x.

os x just works.

if you say we are restricted, everything i did on windows i have managed to find an alternative for in os x. even if i couldnt, i could just bootcamp windows onto it if i had to. could you do this on your pc so that itunes ran properly?

i thought the same and had the same points as you fanboys, it wasnt until i actually used a mac, and owned a mac that i realised the truth. im sure you will see the light someday. you can always come back and edit your post afterwards.

and surely by buying and owning an iphone you are declaring that apple pwns windows? even if its only at a mobile level, you agree that apple pwn windows?

oh yeah, just a last note, how much is your ANTI-VIRUS software annually?
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

^calling other people fanboys.. Haha.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    ^calling other people fanboys.. Haha.
    sorry, just re-read it. haha, im a converted apple fanboy i guess
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by _ducky View Post
    So what you're saying is, unless we become "APPLE" fabulous fanboy zombies, we dare not complain about an Apple product or application? Very convenient.

It's not "an Apple program running on a Windows machine" at all. If it's running on Windows, it's a Windows program. A pathetic excuse for one, in this case, perhaps, but still.

It doesn't matter what platform it's running on. They've written a crappy app. Not everyone enjoys living and breathing Apple, and for those people, there should be alternatives.

Oh, and by the way, do you realize how much you restrict yourself? You live your entire computing life by Apple, and that's exactly the way they want it. They love your complete dependence upon them for everything. Of course things work fine when one company has designed your entire computing experience. But oh, wait, what if you want to customize and get a different application on a Mac? Oh, that's right, you can go screw yourself, because you're stuck with what you've got. Apple's trying this same strategy on Windows. It won't work.
    FAIL

.......me=
    WIN
    Last edited by one1; 11-14-2008 at 09:25 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    lol, windowz fan boyz in the house. please, please, please dont hate on apple or apple users.

i use apple, a mac mini desktop and an advent 4211 with os x on it. a grand total of about 700 on hardware and my mac mini runs better for me than my home 600 desktop and my little macbook runs like a dream.

my friend also has the advent 4211, with xp on it.

we tried connecting both laptops to a 38" hd tv, and guess what, in os x it just recognised it straight away and worked, giving a range of outputs to flick through. in xp, had to fiddle with settings intel video driver and stuff, took ages and still couldnt get the output as good quality as os x.

os x just works.

if you say we are restricted, everything i did on windows i have managed to find an alternative for in os x. even if i couldnt, i could just bootcamp windows onto it if i had to. could you do this on your pc so that itunes ran properly?

i thought the same and had the same points as you fanboys, it wasnt until i actually used a mac, and owned a mac that i realised the truth. im sure you will see the light someday. you can always come back and edit your post afterwards.

and surely by buying and owning an iphone you are declaring that apple pwns windows? even if its only at a mobile level, you agree that apple pwn windows?

oh yeah, just a last note, how much is your ANTI-VIRUS software annually?
    eh, it's all personal preference. I dual boot os and vista on my pc, so I do use both. In all honesty though, I only really use osx for email and music (or pretty much anything phone related) but other than that, I don't find it all that useful/interesting. It's a great OS, don't get me wrong, but it's almost too simple.

Maybe it's all the years of tinkering with PC hardware/software that turns me off the most. It's the same with cars, stock is boring... I'd rather wrench on it if for nothing more than the enjoyment of doing so.

to each their own

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast