+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stolen iPhone

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So my iPhone was stolen and I called AT&T to report it.I had them do a search for the IMEI to see if it was being used on another account,and
    Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Stolen iPhone
    So my iPhone was stolen and I called AT&T to report it.I had them do a search for the IMEI to see if it was being used on another account,and sure enough it is..The messed up thing is that they wont disable the IMEI so it can't be used.That's NOT RIGHT AT ALL.they said the only thing they can turn off is the SIM card.

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS how i can get the IMEI turned off so they cant use the phone?
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

Thanks

why not just report the imea to your local police department, shouldve installed one of those trackers for the iphone...is there a way they can tell you what phone number is being used with that imei?
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    why not just report the imea to your local police department, shouldve installed one of those trackers for the iphone...is there a way they can tell you what phone number is being used with that imei?
    No they wont tell me what # is on the account.and I would rather have the phone shut off on them..I think its really messed up that AT&T wont do anything about it
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

My iPhone is a Part of Me BarcaMagic's Avatar
    Thanks

that is some bs on att&t side . i would call back i go crazy on them , maybe then they will do something.

Thanks

Im going to try it again Im kinda hoping a tech will read this and be able to help me out
    Steroids are yummy

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Which was the app(s) that you could install to track/help the police track your iPhone?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Ok, if this happened to me....you WOULD see me on the news for going ape-sheez on the AT&T reps at the store.

Thanks

Wait, so can't they see which cell it's on and track the location for you?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

They can see whos sim is in the phone and what account the sim belongs too

Thanks

But they probably wouldn't tell you that, that's for the po-lice.

Banned
    Thanks

it jus goes to show you they dont give a crap about us... I mean WTF KIND OF COMPANY DOESNT EVEN OFFER INSURANCE ON THE PHONE?!?!?

Sprint would blacklist the IMEI and tell us to call their insurance company, pay 50$ and have a new phone to us in less then 24 hours.

Shame on you att-

Edit Poseidon: Calm down with the language (I deleted the first 2 lines of your post)
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 11-10-2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: added F*** bombs.. Im a NYer -we curse alot.

Thanks

That sucks. But there is nothing they will do. Before I bought my iPhone I asked what happens if it gets stolen, if I could disable it and they gave me the same speech. Just the sim card. Even with Tmobile they wont do anything. My sister in law is a manager of Tmobile and even if her phone is stolen she can look up the IMEI(even though she says they are not supposed to) and see who's account the phone is now under, but she can not disable it. She will send them a text message though saying to return it to the tmobile store or she will have them arrested(just bluffing of course). Gets it back every time. LOL .. oh the power of fear

Thanks

Why is AT&T's response so surprising to everybody? Of course they won't do anything!! Why would they? Who's to say that you didn't sell the phone to that person?? Or give it to them as a gift? Maybe you were feeling really generous with a stranger and just gave them your iPhone!! Maybe it fell out of your pocket and somebody found it. How would you ever prove that it was actually stolen? It's not like there aren't tons of iPhones for sale on Craigslist, ebay, etc.

I'm not saying that it doesn't suck losing your iPhone... of course it does! But getting mad because AT&T won't do anything about it not only pointless, but unfair to AT&T. AT&T sells phones and plans. It is not their responsibility (or business) to keep track of and recover stolen / lost phones.
    If my post was helpful to you, hit the thanks button!

Thanks

Your story haunts me! I dnt wanna jailbreak cos of battery life, but cos of the tracker I might have to. Sorry about ur phone mate

Thanks

Maybe disabling the SIM is a ploy to get them to return it to the store so they can sieze it.

Of course, that would be what they SHOULD do...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

that sux dude. i would call the police, file a report and let them know all the details like, the fact that att knows who is using the phone, and other particulates that should lead the police to the person who has the phone.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by se23 View Post
    Your story haunts me! I dnt wanna jailbreak cos of battery life
    jailbreaking doesn't effect battery life, some apps u install effect battery life.

Thanks

i just wanted the IMEI put on the black list so it could not be used but I guess they cant do that
    Steroids are yummy

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrsidewayzz's Avatar
    Thanks

im going to put a phone lock on my iphone now. if i lose it, i hope its no way for them to use it since im on t-mobile. =\
    mrsidewayzz
    iPhone 2G 16GB, iPod Classic 120GB
    MacBook 13.3" 2.0ghz 250GB 2GB
    YNSA, USN

Thanks

If you report it to the police they can get a search warrant and at&t will then give them the phone # and who it belongs to and the billing address. Then you may get the phone back or pay your insurance deductible and get a new phone. I have seen someone go through this before it works like that in washington at least. Good luck

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Police in Washington actually would obtain and execute a search warrant over a stolen iPhone? I'm impressed, may be there's not much crime to fight or traffic to control in Washington. Also, what insurance would pay for a stolen iPhone? I assume home owner insurance? Last time I asked a SF police Sgt about looking for stuff stolen from me, he basically told me that the stolen properties have to almost land on their lap then they would notify me, no one is going to go look for my stuff.