Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how to go from iphone to blackberry?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default how to go from iphone to blackberry?
    Hi guys,

Can you please help me out?

I've been having way too many problems with my iPhone 3g. Till date (bought 2 weeks after it launched) I had the phone replaced twice. I do not like the iphone and I would NOT like this to be the main focus of the thread.

Long story short, I would like to give the Blackberry a try. More specifically, I want to purchase the new Blackberry Storm (unlocked).

My question is: how do I transfer from the iPhone 3g to the Blackberry?

I am looking to stay with the same carrier (ATT).

(1) Is this entire process as simple as switching the sim card from the iPhone to the Blackberry?

(2) Am I going to incur any sort of penalty for doing so? Note that I am NOT buying the Blackberry from ATT. I am buying it elsewhere.

(3) The iphone 3g has its own specific data plan, etc. Will I have to call ATT and tell them about using the blackberry? Will I be able to downgrade from the iphone-specific plan? Does the blackberry require its own kind of plan?

(4) Is my email, internet, etc. all going to work on the Blackberry?

I highly appreciate all the answers in advance. Thank you!
    Last edited by iCrave; 11-05-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks

Q 1 & 3) I believe that the iPhone comes with the normal unlimited 3g package, as opposed to an iPhone-specific package as it was with the first iPhone. So I'm assuming it'll cross over just fine.

On all the other points, you'd really be better of asking AT&T, I know they may seem like the enemy, but I doubt they care what you do as long as you're still on contract.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrsidewayzz's Avatar
    Thanks

(1) Is this entire process as simple as switching the sim card from the iPhone to the Blackberry?

(A) it can be that simple, call AT&T and go thru them so you can have insurance on your blackberry. thats the smartest thing imo.

(2) Am I going to incur any sort of penalty for doing so? Note that I am NOT buying the Blackberry from ATT. I am buying it elsewhere.

(A) i dont think you would have any penalty for the simple fact that youre a paying customer who isnt cancelling his account. they should work with you. you can always sell your 3G and make the money to buy your blackberry + profit.

(3) The iphone 3g has its own specific data plan, etc. Will I have to call ATT and tell them about using the blackberry? Will I be able to downgrade from the iphone-specific plan? Does the blackberry require its own kind of plan?

(A) the blackberry storm is running on the 3G network so the internet should be the same, unless like t-mobile, the blackberry has its own internet plan. again, call and ask AT&T about that.

(4) Is my email, internet, etc. all going to work on the Blackberry?
    (A) thats what blackberry is for. email and internet in the professional world. of course it will work...

everyone has their opinion and experiences with the iphone. hopefully you have a better experience with the blackberry storm. just stay away from the G1!!!!

hope i helped.
    mrsidewayzz
    iPhone 2G 16GB, iPod Classic 120GB
    MacBook 13.3" 2.0ghz 250GB 2GB
    YNSA, USN

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You will be paying the same for any 3G smartphone as you would for the iPhone on ATT.

If you bought the iPhone 3G at the discounted price, you will not be able to get the BB phone at discounted price so you will need to pay retail.

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

The Storm is a Verizon (CDMA) product it will not work on ATT or a GSM network.
    Unless you go with a Vodafone which is now going for about $1000.00, with no guarantee.

That would be nutz

I also think I heard that there are issues with a unlocked version working on ATT.
    BEWARE!
    Last edited by n0m0n; 11-06-2008 at 09:17 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the prompt reponses everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    The Storm is a Verizon (CDMA) product it will not work on ATT or a GSM network.
    Unless you go with a Vodafone which is now going for about $1000.00, with no guarantee.

That would be nutz

I also think I heard that there are issues with a unlocked version working on ATT.
    BEWARE!
    ..that is false on all accounts

First of all, there are going to be two Blackberry storms. One is the 9530 (the Verizon model) and the 9500 (GSM-only model).

Second, the "Verizon" model can actually be used for any GSM carrier, as long as the phone is unlocked. It is dual capable of both CDMA and GSM. Yes, the Verizon model has a sim card slot. This has already been verified.

Third, the Vodafone Blackberry Storm 9500 is actually selling for $699 new/unlocked (Blackberry Storm 9500 Vodafone (unlocked) at MobileCityOnline.com) and the Verizon Storm 9530 for $599 (Blackberry 9530 Storm Smartphone for Verizon at MobileCityOnline.com)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrsidewayzz's Avatar
    Thanks

u can easily get $600 for your 3G. put it on ebay.
    mrsidewayzz
    iPhone 2G 16GB, iPod Classic 120GB
    MacBook 13.3" 2.0ghz 250GB 2GB
    YNSA, USN

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iCrave View Post
    Thanks for the prompt reponses everyone.

..that is false on all accounts

First of all, there are going to be two Blackberry storms. One is the 9530 (the Verizon model) and the 9500 (GSM-only model).

Second, the "Verizon" model can actually be used for any GSM carrier, as long as the phone is unlocked. It is dual capable of both CDMA and GSM. Yes, the Verizon model has a sim card slot. This has already been verified.

Third, the Vodafone Blackberry Storm 9500 is actually selling for $699 new/unlocked (Blackberry Storm 9500 Vodafone (unlocked) at MobileCityOnline.com) and the Verizon Storm 9530 for $599 (Blackberry 9530 Storm Smartphone for Verizon at MobileCityOnline.com)
    WOW sounds like you should be working there instead of me ...
    Maybe I shouldn't pick up my check tomorrow!
    The 1000. is via eBay becuase you said you wanted a ATT version, which doesnt fully work.
    But you will find that out for yourself
    Have fun!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

not sure where you pulled that from, but i never said that i wanted the "att" version.
    point is, both the gsm-only 9500 storm and the cdma/gsm 9530 storm will work on att once unlocked.
    so, i can get the verizon version of storm and it will work with ATT when unlocked.
    above i linked an established website that sells the storm (both 9500 and 9530) for well under $1000 ($599 and $699), so why on earth would anyone ever pay $1000 on eBay?
    i'm trying to follow your logic, but it just doesn't make any sense.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Make sure you don't get the verizon verion... I think the GSM 3G band is not supported with ATT but the vodafone version is... In other words the verizon version will work on the ATT network just not the ATT 3G network.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings