+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Noob taking the plunge, how do I start?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello everyone, first time poster and a recent lurker. I have found this website to be so informative and I have learned a lot about how to jailbreak, upgrade and
    Thanks

Question Noob taking the plunge, how do I start?
    Hello everyone, first time poster and a recent lurker. I have found this website to be so informative and I have learned a lot about how to jailbreak, upgrade and be able to use the Iphone on the T-mobile network which I have been a customer of for several years now.

I'm thinking about finally getting an Iphone and going through the process of converting it to use with T-Mobile. However, I have a few questions about attaining a new Iphone.

1. What's the cheapest way to buy a new Iphone? Going to the AT&T store buying it, getting their service for a month then cancelling? Is that the most popular way T-mobile Iphone users did it?

I have seen expensive unlocked Iphones on the net for sale. $690 is a little out of my price range right now but I am willing to go that route if it's the most hassle free way.

I'm just trying to find the cheapest, easiest way to get a new Iphone and jailbreaking it myself.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This really depends on if you want a 3G iPhone or if you are fine with a regular iPhone.

I have a 2G iPhone and this is what I did.

I paid $300 for my iPhone, I bought it off Craigslist.
    Used WinPwn to unlock/activate/jailbreak it with 2.0.2 Firmware.
    I called T-Mobile and added the $5.99 T-Zones
    Used Cydia to download the BigBoss T-Zone Hack..
    Changed the Cellular Network APN to epc.tmobile.com

I've compared the speeds to my friend's 2G iPhone that is on AT&T with their iPhone Data Package and mine is the same, sometimes faster, than his..

If you want a 3G iPhone, you can't software unlock it, so you need a SIM mod like TurboSIM. As far as I know (I haven't researched the 3G iPhone too much, so you might wanna research it yourself), you can only use EDGE on the 3G iPhone.

I wouldn't recommend going to AT&T and signing up and cancelling. It might effect your credit.

You are probably better off buying a 2G iPhone off Craigslist (I say craigslist cause you can see your iPhone before you buy it) and doing software unlock and use T-Zones.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply!

After checking out craigslist, this is what I found from a local seller. Let me know what you think.

I have one 8GB 2G iPhone In The Box
    Brand New!
    Professionally Un-Locked!
    VIP Pimped

Unlimited Warranty
    Unlimited Firmware Updates

1000 Wallpapers
    500 RingTones
    300 Video RingTones
    500 Games
    300 System Themes
    250 Customize Themes
    250 System Sounds
    120 Apps
    Videos
    Much Much More!!!

Comes With:
    Box
    Wall Charger
    USB/Sync Cable
    Dock

Unlimited Firmware Updates
    Unlimited Warranty

$400 or Trade or Best Offer!!!

Brand New 8GB 2G iPhone In The Box Unlocked Pimped Out

I called and spoke with the seller on the phone. He mentioned the city where we live won't get 3G speeds until early next year so he said getting a 3G Iphone is basicly useless since I won't be able to take full advantage of the 3G Iphone capabilities.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

$400 is kinda steep for a 2G 8GB iPhone...

I'd say a $350 max spend limit is the best bet.

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

dont pay more than 350$ for an 8gb also remember that an unlocked phone doesn't mean it will stay unlocked if you update it you will have to re unlock it your self.
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Thanks

Thanks ryan206. After checking out craiglist a little futher. I came across a 16g 3G Iphone for $400!! It's a replacement from AT&T for the original one he broke and the seller decided to sell it instead.

My couzin was able to inspect it in person and is mailing me the phone tommorrow.

Now to do a little more research on how to unlock a 3G Iphone and use it with Tmobile. Any suggestions on a good starting point guys?

Thanks for all the help!