Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Large Backup Files

Default Large Backup Files
    I just used Disk Inventory X to try and figure out where all my hard drive space is going because I don't have a whole lot left. Well, it brought me to the /user/library/application support/mobile sync/backup folder, which happens to currently be 3.61 GB! That seems to be a bit large for just iPhone backups.

Within that folder are 11 folders with random letters and numbers at the names and within those folders are the backup files. Are any of these folders safe to delete? Do I really need all 11 of these folders? I really need some hard drive space back and these backups seem to be a bit much.

Can anyone provide me with info on these? Thanks!
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^^You could always delete the entire folder and then re-sync your iphone to save just the current. I mean, do you have more than one backup in there?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Can you have more than one backup now in iTunes? I used to be able to, but as of 8.0(which I am on now) it only allows me to have one.

thanks for the help. i ended up deleting all of the folders except for the latest one. i then synced... and it simply updated that folder with the current info from my iphone.

i'm back in business with one backup (instead of 11!) and more hard drive space free.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I just tried to browse to the path that the OP posted, but I cannot locate it. Is there another path?