+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can Apple/Vodafone Tell???

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey everyone, Just out of interest, can apple or vodafone tell what 'type' of phones are connected to their network through the edge signal?? For example can they track down
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Can Apple/Vodafone Tell???
    Hey everyone,

Just out of interest, can apple or vodafone tell what 'type' of phones are connected to their network through the edge signal?? For example can they track down a lost iphone through the edge signal to confirm the iphone's i.d. etc??

By the way, the phone i have doesnt have data enabled and no i didnt steal anything... just wondering if the phone does get stolen if they can find out if the phone is still operational somewhere in the country..

Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If you have EDGE Activated you can install iLocalis (it tracks lost/stolen phones, but EDGE has to be activated by the user who has it).

If you can pull strings in Vodafone, they can tell you which tower your phone is using (using the SIM's IMSI, but again YOUR SIM, not the one who stole it, because you wont know his IMSI), but its illegal for them to track mobiles that way, atleast in my country)

Green Apple
    Thanks

yea i know about that app. Just another question, can apple deactivate the phone if its lost. For example, if i lose my phone (which is unlocked by apple and not on a contract/data), can i go to apple, give them my receipt and they disable the phone all together??

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

if you call and tell them your phone was stolen, they can flag your SIM card but I am not sure if its possible to block a phone on a GSM network.

verizon used to do it by the electronic serial number which was the built in number used to identify the phone on their network (similar to att's SIM card)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

i believe in europe you can blacklist an IMEI, which is associate with the phone and NOT with the sim, so whether the phone has your sim in it or not, once the IMEI (phone) registers with the tower, the service provider would know. i'm not familiar with the blacklisting but i believe if your IMEI is blacklisted you wont' be able to use the phone