+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone not showing up in my computer

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
i used to be able to view my pictures and stuff through autoplay or by going to my computer and selecting my iphone but now its not doing that anymore.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default iphone not showing up in my computer
    i used to be able to view my pictures and stuff through autoplay or by going to my computer and selecting my iphone but now its not doing that anymore.

itunes does detect it so i know it is working fine. i did update to the latest itunes...could that be why?

if not, what can i do to fix this?

iphone is at 1.1.3. i even navigated to var/root/media/DCIM/100apple and no pictures are located there. bummmer
    Last edited by mikerzt; 02-28-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks

no, it has nothing to do with the new iTunes (7.6.1.9). Try unistalling the iPhone device driver (aka apple mobile device). And when you replug your iPhone, it will reinstall itself. To uninstall it, just conect your iPhone to your PC, and go in the device manager.... and in portable devices uninstall both Apple iPhone and Apple Mobile Device.... unplug and replug your iPhone... and it should reinstall itself...

any other questions, just ask...

hope I helped you
    iPhone 4 16 GB + iMac 24" 2.9GHz + MBP 13" 2,2GHZ = AAPL 4 EVAAAA!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djnikk For This Useful Post:

Hawkeslayer (03-13-2010), jwstaton (03-11-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks, that fixed it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NitrousFlare For This Useful Post:

Minyafire (04-27-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am having the same problem, I followed what djnikk said but it did not work. I am using Vista Business x32, with the newest iTunes and the 3g iPhone.

Under Portable Devices I have Digital Still Camera & Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver both displaying icons with yellow exclamation points.

Thank you

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi... i have the same problem with my iphone... and i followed what djnikk said... but i seem to have another issue... i connected my iphone as u said... but the portable device tab doesn't show in my device manager... now what to do!?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hellow guys i have an iphone 3gs new..not unlocked or jailbroken..i used to sync music and apps through itunes and now it is not even detected by my own PC..i tried everything..and i tried usin it in another pc same issue happened!! please help me outta here thanks in advance!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I know it has been mentioned elsewhere but it’s worth repeating as this works.

Go through the Camera Roll folder on your phone and delete any photos you did not take, i.e. all photos saved from emails.

Once you have done this your phone will be recognised once again as a camera in My Computer.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyman_G For This Useful Post:

Minyafire (04-27-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyman_G View Post
    I know it has been mentioned elsewhere but itís worth repeating as this works.

Go through the Camera Roll folder on your phone and delete any photos you did not take, i.e. all photos saved from emails.

Once you have done this your phone will be recognised once again as a camera in My Computer.
    I have the very same problem, it started just a few days ago..
    However much I'd like to follow your suggestion, that solution would solve nothing.

Once I have deleted those photos, how do I copy them to the computer afterwards?
    That's the only reason I want it working..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scandragon View Post
    I have the very same problem, it started just a few days ago..
    However much I'd like to follow your suggestion, that solution would solve nothing.

Once I have deleted those photos, how do I copy them to the computer afterwards?
    That's the only reason I want it working..
    Access the photos through your email client if they were emailed to you in the first place and save them from there.

And by the way, the solution solves not being able to see you iPhone in My Computer ... which is what this is all about isn't it? Isn't it?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah, it doesn't show up in my computer. I gave up and deleted the photos, after spending hours uploading each of them (hundreds) to dropbox.

Didn't solve it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OK - this is confusing as hell. Since the last iPhone reload I can get iTunes to see my iPhone, but not my computer's Device Manager ...and it doesn't show up (obviously) as a mounted disk to copy photos off ...wtf?

Has anyone had this happen, and if so, how do you fix it?!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iphone not showing up in my computer-iphone_mount_error.jpg   iphone not showing up in my computer-iphone_driver-not-found.jpg  

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

USBAAPL.sys is bundled to iTunes . When you installed, it is automatically put
    USBAAPL.sys driver in your computer.

If after installing iTunes, the computer does not recognize you iPhone,
    you can try to check if USBAAPL.sys is present in CWindows\system32\drivers .
    If you could not find it there try download USBAAPL.SYS driver here : mirror 1
    (The servers hosting the file is down from time to time, if itīs down choose another download mirror)
    If that link is not working try one of the mirror links below:
    mirror 2
    mirror3

If you have USBAAPL.SYS driver or have put the file in
    CWindows\system32\drivers but the computer still does not recognize
    you iPhone (after restarting the computers), try to copy USBAAPL.SYS into
    Cwindows\inf folder and try again.

If it STILL does not work, try this last step (this step worked for me)

Note: This driver is used by iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, iPod shuffle (3rd generation and later), iPod nano (3rd generation and later), and iPod classic. If you have an earlier model iPod, this set of steps does not apply.

1. Disconnect the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from the computer.
    2. Take a photo with the iPhone. For iPod touch or iPad, save a screenshot by pressing the Home button and Wake/Sleep buttons and letting go. The screen should flash briefly. (Taking screenshots and saving images on iPod touch requires software version 2.0 or later.)
    3. Open the Device Manager in Windows, as follows:
    Windows XP: Click Start > Run. In the resulting dialog type devmgmt.msc and press Return on the keyboard.
    Windows Vista or Windows 7: Click Start. In the dialog, type devmgmt.msc and press Return on the keyboard. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click "Continue".
    4. Expand the sections labeled as follows. Not all sections may be listed:
    * Imaging Devices
    * Other Devices
    * Portable Devices
    * Universal Serial Bus Controllers
    5. Re-connect your iphone
    6. Look for the entry that recognizes the device as a camera. This entry should be called Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, or Apple iPod for the iPod touch.
    7. Right click the device and select properties, then driver, then update driver.

Taadaa! Windows should now detect an iphone device and install the correct drivers.

Hope this helped.
    Last edited by cargash; 11-15-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: :\ wasnt meant to show up as a smilie

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My goal was to transfer some pictures from my Camera Roll to my Windows PC. iTunes on PC does not let you view your photos. There are various sharewares out there that will allow you to "explore" your iPhone, which I tried and are nice, but are limited. My problem was that my iPhone was NOT getting mounted as a drive (did NOT show up as an external drive in My Computer / Windows Explorer). iTunes recognized it (and still does) fine.

I followed cargash's procedure (specifically the last step), and my iPhone now shows up in My Computer / Windows Explorer as a(n external) drive. FYI, the file USBAAPL.SYS was already in my
    windows\system32\drivers folder and it was NOT in my \windows\inf folder. I didn't copy it into the \windows\inf folder as cargash suggested (still worked out in the end). I followed cargash's "last step" procedure and now I can view my iPhone as a typical external drive (and copy said photos to my PC -for free!). Note, make sure you keep Device Manager open. Once you connect your iPhone to your computer, it will appear (as "Apple iPhone" in "Portable Devices", and then the usual prompt of "what do you want to do...copy photos, etc." that pops up when you connect a camera/flash media, will appear.

Not sure if this fix will "stick" or if this needs to be done each time, but at least it works. Thanks!
    Last edited by carinobrutal; 06-05-2011 at 08:52 PM.
    iPhone 3G 16GB - model: MB048LL | OS: 3.0 (7A341) | firmware: 04.26.08
    iTunes 10 running on Windows Vista Business 32-bit

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    guys guys guys you are all beating about the bush

the simplest reason for the iphone not to show up as a browsable folder in windows is because . . . its passcode locked - obviously it wouldnt show up as a security measure.

Just disconnect the cable, enter your passcode and reconnect the cable - thats it!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to hubyub For This Useful Post:

Ann-Britt (07-23-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyman_G View Post
    I know it has been mentioned elsewhere but itís worth repeating as this works.

I registered for these forums for one purpose - to say THANK YOU, thank you thank you. I did this after trying for hours and it worked. Don't know why, but i guess thats not what matters. Thanks again!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default It just works!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hubyub View Post
    guys guys guys you are all beating about the bush

the simplest reason for the iphone not to show up as a browsable folder in windows is because . . . its passcode locked - obviously it wouldnt show up as a security measure.

Just disconnect the cable, enter your passcode and reconnect the cable - thats it!
    THANK YOU!!!

Your post is a life saver. I've just registered to this forum to send this reply.

I have searched for a solution for hours before trying your suggestion. FINALLY IT WORKED!!! It is so simple that I'm almost mad at Apple. Nobody documented this behaviour, or it didn't show up during my hours of googling.

Anyway, Thank you very much!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

lmao! that was so easy! thank you. i'd been puzzling over this for a while now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default thank you
    wow, this was driving me crazy for a while. so glad i read till this post. i would have been trying all the tedious stuff mentioned before.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I seem to be the only person who it's not working for...I've tried everything listed in this thread (and multiple other forums). My iphone still isn't:
    - recognised in My computer
    - recognised in Device Manager (only as >Imaging Devices >Digital Still Camera & USB controllers >Apple Mobile Device USB Driver

Hubyub said about it being password protected. Does he mean your own keypad lock password? If so I've tried that and it doesn't work either.

All out of ideas...any other options?

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphonogasm's Avatar
    Thanks

Hav you got USB drive installed by any chance???
    Last edited by iphonogasm; 10-29-2011 at 06:43 AM.