+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Taking my phone to an apple store for service what should i do.....

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I need to take my iPhone into an apple store for service but it's jailbroken/unlocked and I am on T-mobile. What should I do to prep the phone and what
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Question Taking my phone to an apple store for service what should i do.....
    I need to take my iPhone into an apple store for service but it's jailbroken/unlocked and I am on T-mobile. What should I do to prep the phone and what do I tell them if they ask about what I do for service? (I can't keep my T-mobile sim card in when I go) Thank you for any help!!!!!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

If you don't have AT&T service, they aren't going to service your phone. You don't have a warranty, and they will be able to check to see if your serial number is registered with AT&T to see if you have a warranty.

Your only shot would be to put in an AT&T prepaid sim card, and hope they will service it through that.

Mostly likely though, you won't be able to get the phone repaired, as you aren't using it on their carrier.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Yep, they know all about it now. It's either get an att account, or come see me: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-...uff-money.html
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Piazza331 View Post
    If you don't have AT&T service, they aren't going to service your phone. You don't have a warranty, and they will be able to check to see if your serial number is registered with AT&T to see if you have a warranty.

Your only shot would be to put in an AT&T prepaid sim card, and hope they will service it through that.

Mostly likely though, you won't be able to get the phone repaired, as you aren't using it on their carrier.
    I apprciate the time you took to answer my question BUT if I am going to Apple not AT&T and I have a valid serial number that I can input into Apples' site which shows me that I have a warranty and the date it expires how could they not honor it?

Thanks

As he said and I will repeat, you must have an ATT account for applecare work, that's the first thing they ask for. Apple does not support the unlocking of phones. You either have an account and use your phone on the att network, or you unlocked it and they will not honor it. You voided your wty when you unlocked it according to your agreement.
    Last edited by one1; 10-12-2008 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks

I understand but I recall reading sonewhere that if you just do a restore via iTunes then the phone is brought back to a point as if it were brand new... In other words the jailbreak and the unlock is removed. Is that not why when you jailbreak via winpwn you choose the custom file that is created during the winpwn process when you set the phone up in iTunes?

Thanks

No the jailbreak is removed, the unlock is permanently etched in the baseband so if you take a phone in there and say you do not have an att account they are going to plug it up and see the baseband change immediately. I have the software they use to read the phones configuration. I can see anything you do.

Take your chances, maybe someone working the counter is thinking of quitting.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

That isn't true. There are ways to restore your phone, and actually restore the baseband to original condition. I bought a phone, and activated it with AT&T on contract. I then unlocked and sold it. When my friend messed it up, I was able to restore/revirginize the baseband. I took it to an Apple Store, they checked for the contract, then hooked it up to the computer and found no traces of a jailbreak/unlock.

Regardless, after they check for warranty, they will be able to look up and see if there is a phone number that is registered to the phone, and when it isn't found, they won't honor your warranty.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Piazza331 For This Useful Post:

sr852 (10-13-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Piazza331 View Post
    That isn't true. There are ways to restore your phone, and actually restore the baseband to original condition. I bought a phone, and activated it with AT&T on contract. I then unlocked and sold it. When my friend messed it up, I was able to restore/revirginize the baseband. I took it to an Apple Store, they checked for the contract, then hooked it up to the computer and found no traces of a jailbreak/unlock.

Regardless, after they check for warranty, they will be able to look up and see if there is a phone number that is registered to the phone, and when it isn't found, they won't honor your warranty.
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my question and providing an honest answer! Could you please tell me how you were "able to restore/revirginize the baseband"? Thank you

Thanks

An honest answer. excuse me? He gave you the answer you wanted to hear. Not every single apple store is going to follow procedure, but when people tell you the correct answer and you blow them off just because it isn't what you want to hear...... you'll be noted.
    Last edited by one1; 10-13-2008 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    An honest answer. excuse me? He gave you the answer you wanted to hear. Not every single apple store is going to follow procedure, but when people tell you the correct answer and you blow them off just because it isn't what you want to hear...... you'll be noted.
    I am sorry you took offense to my response. It was not the answer I wanted to hear (It will be a help) but I recalled reading elsewhere that the phone could be brought back to a condition where the jailbreak and or unlock wpould not be detected. I have since found this information again. I understand you provide your own services and it is nice that you make them available to folks on this site.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You'll have to just search for tutorials on how to virginize the baseband.

I hate to tell you, but it's not going to matter. The only real way you could get the phone serviced (if it's under a year old) is to restore/reverginize, and then actually have the phone activated on AT&T.

Thanks

as far as im aware, with the 2g iphone, if you dfu-restore to the latest firmware and take it back because of a hardware defect then apple must help you within 12 months of purchase. it was part of the agreement between the carrier and apple for the 2g i believe, which is also why we paid full wack for the 2g iphones as opposed to subsidized prices like now. we got a hardware contract with apple and a carrier contract with the carrier

if its the 3g and you dont have an account, forget it.

if its not a serious hardware defect, forget it.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

15. The Following User Says Thank You to reeko For This Useful Post:

sr852 (10-13-2008)

Thanks

Here's a virginized phone I have being viewed through a program you don't have

Tell me what line 2 says..........

Thanks

thats interesting one1, i didnt know they had special software for detecting this.

with that though, ive taken my old 2g to apple for replacement twice and theyve never run anything like that, and my dad got a replacement just the other day after dfu-restoring because of a blown speaker.

i guess it all depends on what genius you get and how the manager is
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

18. The Following User Says Thank You to reeko For This Useful Post:

sr852 (10-13-2008)

Thanks

It's as regional as anything else. Someone in Idaho is not going to be trained by the same tech executives as someone in Cuppertino and so on........ Places like Alabama are hit and miss. Some area's like Gulf Shores are saturated with million dollar homes and doctors and a few miles up the road in Dothan they sit on the porch all day and watch traffic go by. Anyone who's ever ran 231 south through Dothan to get to Panama City already knows this......
    Last edited by one1; 10-13-2008 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    as far as im aware, with the 2g iphone, if you dfu-restore to the latest firmware and take it back because of a hardware defect then apple must help you within 12 months of purchase. it was part of the agreement between the carrier and apple for the 2g i believe, which is also why we paid full wack for the 2g iphones as opposed to subsidized prices like now. we got a hardware contract with apple and a carrier contract with the carrier

if its the 3g and you dont have an account, forget it.

if its not a serious hardware defect, forget it.
    I do have a 2G and the warranty runs out in July of 2009... Thanks for the info and sharing your experiences!