+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No sound, think it's stuck thinking that headphones are plugged in

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I had a tape adapter plugged into my phone in the car earlier and was using the iPod function, it was working fine. After I'd got out of the car
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default No sound, think it's stuck thinking that headphones are plugged in
    I had a tape adapter plugged into my phone in the car earlier and was using the iPod function, it was working fine. After I'd got out of the car and disconnected it, none of the sound worked on my phone except for the ringer. There is no lock sound, no iPod sound, no game sound. It DOES work in headphones though.

I have tried rebooting it to no avail. I have checked the volume levels. I assume it's stuck thinking that headphones are plugged into it so it won't issue sound through the speakers. I tried blowing into the headphone port with an airduster but that didn't solve it.

Does anyone know how I can stop it from thinking that headphones are plugged in and get sound back (assuming that's the cause)?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

reset all settings. this has worked for me in the past to clear sound issues

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tried resetting the settings and it didn't solve the problem.

I have also:

- Turned it off and on
    - Reset the device
    - Tried cleaning out the jack with a cotton bud, a headphone plug, and an air duster.
    Last edited by Anjow; 10-07-2008 at 05:06 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

here's a question that might help. if u actually plug in the headphones, do u regain sound?

did u try using the bossprefs/ usr dir premissions fix? i know it solves a bunch of issues.

did u recently (b4 this started happening) install or change any settings in 3rd party apps?

also what firmware u running? jailbroken/unlocked/which methods, i don't know if it matter's but maybe it'll help someone help u solve your issue.
    Last edited by Alperovich; 10-07-2008 at 06:52 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Try a full restore.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

*rolls eyes*

Jesus people you'll restore over a fly landing on your phone.

OP: The headphone jack is only the culprit if you press the volume up or down and the hud says "HEADPHONES". If it says "VOLUME", then you have a software issue rather than a hardware issue. It won't need to be restored, but maybe a few hard reboots.

If it DOES say headphones on the hud with the phones unplugged, turn the phone off and use a small pick to pull the little slider out of the side of the headphone jack where it is stuck. It will move about 2mm out of the wall of the headphone jack inside the barrel.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

7. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

Alperovich (10-07-2008)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    *rolls eyes*

OP: The headphone jack is only the culprit if you press the volume up or down and the hud says "HEADPHONES". If it says "VOLUME", then you have a software issue rather than a hardware issue. It won't need to be restored, but maybe a few hard reboots.

If it DOES say headphones on the hud with the phones unplugged, turn the phone off and use a small pick to pull the little slider out of the side of the headphone jack where it is stuck. It will move about 2mm out of the wall of the headphone jack inside the barrel.

this dood, knows how its done. I hate when ppl automattically say "restore" that's your LAST chance solution. Most of the time i would say its HIGHLY possible to fix your problem with out restore, i remember a long time ago, ppl telling me to restore b/c my mail app was acting up, only to have it still act up after a restore, when all i needed was to delete a few quick folders and its all good. way to go 'restore' ppl.

to the OP, i HIGHLY recommend checking out hackint0sh.org those guys always have good solutions for tough problems. always willing to help ppl out to get things working right, the right and easy way. gee its kinda like working on a car, i guess i feel this way b/c i'm a good mechnic not a grease monkey, u get the drift, i think

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

it may be a hardware problem
    try to restore and plug the headphones and see if it works normally

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Questions :D
    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    *rolls eyes*

HI although you posted this like 4 years ago, i wanted to ask some questions if ur ok with that. When you say the little slider, what do you mean? right now my ipod touch 4 gen is doing the exact same thing. I was watching youtube, then it paused then the sound stopped. My ringer and alarm sound still work perfectly fine, but my music and youtube/safari doesnt have any sound. Anyways, when i press the volume button, it says headphones, but none are plugged in. IM using a flossing toothpick end to try to attempt pick out the so called lider, but i dont know which??? When i look into the barrell, i see a circular thing at the bottom, and 2 goldish kinda sticky-outty things on 2 sides.. Are those the slider? PLease help!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you sir! You have saved me some fierce trouble that I did not need right now. You ARE the genius to me.