+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: extract photos from iphone backup files?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Mitch, thank you for your tip i was able to find my girlfriend's pictures backed up on her windows 7 computer. The movies are inconsistent though, some .avi movies are
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Movies are not playing
    Mitch, thank you for your tip i was able to find my girlfriend's pictures backed up on her windows 7 computer. The movies are inconsistent though, some .avi movies are working and some files that are the same size are telling me it is not working. The extension .mov does not work at all. Help Please?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

WINDOWS 7: you may have to enable viewing the hidden files and folders on your computer in the files preferences
    C: \Users\{your name} \AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\ as an option..
    these files in this folder will be huge names and only listed as FILE... as mentioned, you would want to copy them all to a new folder on your desktop, and just try renaming one of them to "photo.jpg" and see if you get a thumbnail.. I did...
    Now, if someone could find out which ones are video and the notes I had. I'd be golden!

Thanks

People should learn to make backups manually and without any particular reason.

Anyway, I had two phones, which iTunes refused to restore, backup files showed up in options screen, but never if I clicked restore. IPhone backup extractor and some wifi sync app really saved my life. You should try messing with backup extractor a little more, it actually works.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mitch42 View Post
    To recover pictures you don't need any special app.
    iTunes copies the files to the backup and uses unique file names
    in Windows XP: C: \Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
    Windows Vista/7: C: \Users\[username]\AppData\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\ (or something real close)
    you will see a folder for every iPhone backup made - pick one
    sort the files by size, for the 3gs and older .jpg files will be about 900kb or smaller (3mb camera) and copy them to a temp folder, then rename all of them to *.jpg (in CMD window: ren *.* *.jpg)
    change you view to thumbnail and you will see your pictures
    the 4g has a 5mb camera so the pictures will be larger but not over 3mb, files that size are usually video.

Video files are also stored here and are .mov (Quicktime) files
    Thanks for the sharing. I will try it with my old backups.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mitch42 View Post
    To recover pictures you don't need any special app.
    iTunes copies the files to the backup and uses unique file names
    in Windows XP: C: \Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
    Windows Vista/7: C: \Users\[username]\AppData\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\ (or something real close)
    you will see a folder for every iPhone backup made - pick one
    sort the files by size, for the 3gs and older .jpg files will be about 900kb or smaller (3mb camera) and copy them to a temp folder, then rename all of them to *.jpg (in CMD window: ren *.* *.jpg)
    change you view to thumbnail and you will see your pictures
    the 4g has a 5mb camera so the pictures will be larger but not over 3mb, files that size are usually video.

Video files are also stored here and are .mov (Quicktime) files

I did everything what you said, i renamed them with photo.jpg, but when i open the file it says : Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either Photo Viewer doesn't support this file format, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Viewer
    Last edited by Miran51; 11-25-2012 at 04:06 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Very old post, so many spammers

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Anyone know how to do this from an iCloud backup?
    I need to at least figure out a way to download it to a computer to use a forensic software to extract the images from it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There is no way to extract data from icloud onto computer.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iBackupBot's the best

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Had the same problem - iTunes automatically does backups of the photos you take with the camera on the iPhone, but not the photos you load onto the phone. You can use a tool like the iPhone Backup Extractor to retrieve photos from an iTunes backup. Worked like a dream! Good luck
    Last edited by Chrissydald; 02-23-2014 at 05:38 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Iím having serious issues with the backup function. When deleting backups from the list, the files arenít actually deleted; closing down iTunes and starting it back up, the backup list contains all the original backups again, as if I never tried to delete them.

Guide: how to restore photos from iTunes backup files

Secondly, isnít it possible to keep a maximum of one backup, overwriting earlier ones automatically? The backups rapidly fill up disk space.
    Last edited by JokeWang; 07-29-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks

Note that iTunes does not backup iphone photos during the automatic downloads. Only iphone settings and data such as messages, emails, etc.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think you can try an efficient iPhone backup extractor to restore your lost data from the corrupt backup file. There are many such software on the internet. Have you select "Encrypt iPhone backup" when you synced your iPhone with iTunes? If you selected that option, you have encrypted your iTunes backup. Then I recommend you use EaseUS MobiSaver, only it can access and extract the encrypted backup file.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JokeWang View Post
    Iím having serious issues with the backup function. When deleting backups from the list, the files arenít actually deleted; closing down iTunes and starting it back up, the backup list contains all the original backups again, as if I never tried to delete them.

Guide: How to Transfer Photos from iPhone to Computer

Secondly, isnít it possible to keep a maximum of one backup, overwriting earlier ones automatically? The backups rapidly fill up disk space.
    If you are using PC,
    You may use Photo Gallery from Windows Lives on PC.
    If you are using Mac, you can manually connect them via USB.
    Or you can do it wirelessly on your iPhone by switch ON the Photo Stream under iCloud selection.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timtomtim View Post
    Had the same problem - iTunes automatically does backups of the photos you take with the camera on the iPhone, but not the photos you load onto the phone. You can use a tool like the iphone backup extractor iPhone / iPod Touch Backup Extractor to get the files. Worked like a dream! Good luck
    Thank you, but I do not have a new device to restore to. Can I still access any of the files (in particular the photos) in the iTunes back up?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

In fact, there are two ways for you to recover your deleted photos from iPhone. First, you can use a third-party tool to directly scan and recover pictures from your iPhone. Second, if you've synced your iPhone with iTunes, you also can regain your deleted pictures by extracting your iTunes backup file.
    Last edited by JudyGunter; 03-06-2014 at 08:17 PM.

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123