+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Authorized Computer

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ok guys i got one that stumps me here. I buy and sell iphones all the time, but usually when i buy a phone there is nothing on it. But
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Smile Authorized Computer
    Ok guys i got one that stumps me here. I buy and sell iphones all the time, but usually when i buy a phone there is nothing on it. But today I got a 3g 16gb with like 1100 songs, some videos and like 7 pages of apps.

I dont want to lose any of this when i update to 2.1 so I thought i would just transfer purchases to my Valid Apple acct. and Yes i do have one.

The problem is 38 apps can't sync because the computer wont authorize and yes i have gone to the top of itunes and clicked on store>authorize and put all my information in just for it to tell me My computer is already authorized. I still get the error. (itunes 8)

Anyway around this? Do I just need to do a backup of what is on the iphone first? I am eventually going to sell it but there are some great purchased apps and albums i would like to keep and SSH them to other iphones later.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently backing up--where does the backup get stored so i can look at the items later?

DP

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

So you bought a phone with these apps already on it? Am I correct in this statement? The issue you will have in an update is that the apps are not linked to YOUR iTunes account (if you bought the phone from someone else) so basically any sort of restore will wipe your apps. iTunes needs to see that the account associated with your instance of iTunes has paid for these apps. Basically app ownership is non-transferable. One cannot legitimately get rid of their iphone and sell all their apps (unless they give you their itunes account as well I guess)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I dont think he intentionally is selling me any apps. I just got in through SSH and am taking them out manually. I will place them on my original 3g phones and see what happens. Will see if itunes will agree...What about the Music and videos??

My backup has also just stalled out..it is not moving....

DP

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

My response wasn't about intention. And the apps won;t work just transfered over. They are locked to his IMEI I believe. When you try to load them it will just say "this application could not be loaded" You also can't take the music and videos unless you associate his itunes account with your system. It is an intipiracy feature (which is actually a rather huge pain in the @$$ when you want to do legitimate stuff)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Anyway, sounds like the phone is probably stolen
    To live, you have to lie

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

how would i associate his itunes account with my system? i know i could ask him to allow me entry for a few minutes and then change his password back or something right?

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Anyway, sounds like the phone is probably stolen

Now how could one come up with that logic is beyond me???? I just checked the Serial number(warranty information) and it is still good until 8/2009. I dont think it is stolen....Aweful fast to come to a stupid conclusion such as that without knowing any facts
    Last edited by discoverypro; 10-03-2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost