+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: upgrading to 3g. can i restore from 2g backup?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
The title says it all really! I am selling my 2g iphone and buying a 3g. Can I restore from a back up that I made when on my 2g?
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default upgrading to 3g. can i restore from 2g backup?
    The title says it all really! I am selling my 2g iphone and buying a 3g. Can I restore from a back up that I made when on my 2g? Or is it best to manually sync contacts etc from my windows address book and just start a fresh?

Heard a lot about reduced battery life. Hope I dont regret my decision to upgrade!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks

set up as new phone
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

You can but unless your backup is from a 2.x firm on 2G I do recommend starting from scratch.

PS All the issues you speak of or nonexistant for me. I have had no issue and am very happy with my 3G
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

thats good im glad to hear it.
    I will definately set up as a new phone then.

In another issue I have today purchased an already jailbroken and unlocked 2g iphone for my girlfriend. In order to restore this to default settings and erase everything but make sure it is still unlocked and jailbroken, what should I do?

Do I use quickpwn as I did with my own phone, or is this unecessary as it is already pwned?

Thanks

Thanks

can't do what you are asking but you can re-unlock and jailbreak using quickpwn (just go through the steps, it literally asks you if you want to jailbreak and unlock)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

ok so I'll just do as I did before.. shift restore with a custom ispw in itunes and then open quickpwn and follow the instructions? its currently on 2.1 and I'll be putting 2.1 back on it, so no need to mess around with bootneuter? is that basically right? Thanks

Thanks

should work like a charm. If that doesn;t work just un bootneuter and it will keep you unlocked.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

tikigod19 (10-02-2008)

Thanks

Ok thats great, thanks for your help. I dont know what you mean by un bootneuter but I wont fill up my brain with that excess info until I need it! Hopefully it'll be fine... If I post again it means all is not fine!
    Thanks again