+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Make multiple iPhone backups/explore backups?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Two questions. First, is it possible to make multiple iPhone backups? iTunes only allows restoration of the most recent (single) backup. Does Apple think its users are too stupid to
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Make multiple iPhone backups/explore backups?
    Two questions. First, is it possible to make multiple iPhone backups? iTunes only allows restoration of the most recent (single) backup. Does Apple think its users are too stupid to choose from multiple date-sorted backups?

And is there any way to explore a backup? I have all my data on a certain backup, but some part of it is corrupted, so that if I attempt to restore from it, my iPhone goes into a reboot loop. I want to be able to explore through the backup and recover files from it. (When the iPhone is restored to this backup, instead of the capacity bar showing the various colors it should, it shows a solid 6-ish GB orange bar, for "Other". Which means my music, videos, contacts, texts, EVERYTHING is now being counted as "Other". I assume this means that the backup is corrupt.)

And also, what do people usually do when they need to reformat but want to keep their backup(s)? Is there any way to pull iPhone backups out of iTunes so that they can be separately stored?

Does anyone have any ideas about this?
    Last edited by _ducky; 09-30-2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

In previous versions of iTunes you could have multiple backups and you could right click them withing iTunes and save a copy of them somewhere else on your hard drive. Now, as you mentioned, we are limited to one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

There's no way at all to do any of this? :/

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This is how I do my multiple backups.
    1. Locate the Backup folder. For XP it should be cDocuments and Settings\user\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup. If you have been doing any backups, you should see at least one folder with a very long name. Mine is "4b157b...3a0a2". You may also see some other folders that contain a date time stamp in the name. For example "4b157b...3a0a2-20081125-085200". These other folders get generated by iTunes if during a download and upgrade of your firmware, you choose to do a backup. This is how I determined how to make my own backups.
    2. Make a copy of your backup folder, "4b157b...3a0a2".
    3. Change the copied folder from "Copy of 4b157b...3a0a2" to "4b157b...3a0a2-yyyymmdd-HHmmss". Obviously without the quotes and put your own date time stamp in there.
    4. Open up your newly created backup folder and locate the "Info.plist" file.
    5. Open your "Info.plist" file with your favorite text editor. You will see that it is just an XML file.
    6. Locate the string tag just below the key tag for Display Name.
    Here is a copy of mine, modified of course to protect my identity.
    <key>Device Name</key>
    <string>My Name’s iPhone</string>
    <key>Display Name</key>
    7. Change the info in between the string tags for Display Name, NOT Device Name.
    <key>Device Name</key>
    <key>Display Name</key>
    <string>My Name’s iPhone - Nov 25, 2008 8:52 PM</string>

8. Save the file and you are done.

Note: I always make a copy of the original backup from iTunes and don't just change the name of the folder. We all know how long it takes for iTunes to create a full backup, so I won't even go there.

Now how do you restore your backup?
    1. Open iTunes and attached your iPhone.
    2. Right click on your iPhone and select "Restore from Backup..."
    3. Select the back up you want from the drop down box. If you did not modify your Info.plist file, all of your drop down selection options would have just the name of your iPhone and not include the date time stamp. Therefore, you would not know which backup was which.

I know that this requires you to create your multiple backups manually, but it is not that difficult.
    I hope this is helpful.
    -Cruce

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acrucesalus For This Useful Post:

Anubix (06-30-2011), Bigred80 (06-30-2010)

Thanks

Alright, I'm on my phone right now, so I don't feel like typing everything out, but look for a thread by me pertaining to corrupt backups and restoring from them; it will be worth your time. I'll post again more specifically when I get to my computer.
    Respect your elders.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    Alright, I'm on my phone right now, so I don't feel like typing everything out, but look for a thread by me pertaining to corrupt backups and restoring from them; it will be worth your time. I'll post again more specifically when I get to my computer.
    ALL DAY, could you please provide that info.
    my iphone has 9gb of "other" and my last backup was of that... so i dont think i have a previous good backup remaining.

if anyone could provide assistance it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ahc11 View Post
    ALL DAY, could you please provide that info.
    my iphone has 9gb of "other" and my last backup was of that... so i dont think i have a previous good backup remaining.

if anyone could provide assistance it would be appreciated.
    Yes, I would love to see any helpful info pertaining to corrupt backups and restoring from them as well.

Thanks

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...-im-idiot.html

There are quite a few good links in that thread to restore a mildly corrupt backup... Mine was fully effed, so the process was much more intensive, and quite frankly, I was lucky to be able to get it back; there was a lot of adding and deleting plists both from backup and default, and I had to find a correct combination of which ones were not allowing my phone to boot.

Hopefully your backup is of the less serious variety... Look through that thread/links contained therein and let me know what you feel like.
    Respect your elders.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up Multiple backup folders created automatically by iTunes...
    Quote Originally Posted by acrucesalus View Post
    I know that this requires you to create your multiple backups manually, but it is not that difficult.
    I hope this is helpful.
    -Cruce

Thank you! This was a very helpful workaround; however, before trying your suggestion, from my iTunes | Edit | Preferences | Devices, I can already see two different backups, one for today (the default where my iPhone always syncs and one done on 6/21/11 at 2:12 pm. I don't know how that one got created separate from the default backup folder.

I'm trying to figure out how make that happen again so I don't have to do it manually.

Does anyone know how iTunes creates and dates backups and maintains multiple backups in the Backup Restore list. I'm sure some steps I followed created a separate backup in the list. I need to be able to replicate those steps so I can create my own separate backups when I want, without having to copy and rename the backup folder.

I'm running iTunes 10.3.1.55 in for Windows. My iPhone 3GS is running iOS 4.3.3

Thanks for checking my post.

Thanks
    Default Problem solved!
    There is a program out called "ibackupbot" I think this will help a lot.