Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Buying an Iphone...

Default Buying an Iphone...
    Ok, i want to buy an iphone but i dont want it to come with the contract started. I had a 1.1.2 iphone ages but i sold it.

Where can i buy an iphone which i will be able to unlock/activate like i did to my old one..... will i still be able to do this to a 3g one? im guessing ZiPhone will do this to the new ones OTB??

I see iphones for 99 on CPW but im guessing they come with the 18month contract started.

thanks all....

Thanks

You can't buy an iPhone off the shelf without a contract. You'd need to get it off eBay or something similar. ZiPhone no longer works on firmware 2.0 and above, you'd need to use Pwnage or QuickPwn to do your Jailbrake/Activation. 3G's can't be software unlocked at the moment.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

mart_292 (09-29-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    You can't buy an iPhone off the shelf without a contract. You'd need to get it off eBay or something similar. ZiPhone no longer works on firmware 2.0 and above, you'd need to use Pwnage or QuickPwn to do your Jailbrake/Activation. 3G's can't be software unlocked at the moment.
    You CAN but not in this country. And it is going to cost over 800 bucks (plus your plane ticket out there). Obviously eBay works as well. There is no unlock for the 3G as Eurisko said, unless you buy it already unlocked from Apple (right now I think those are from Italy, Russia, and Hong Kong)

EDIT: This country being USA
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

mart_292 (09-29-2008)

Argh nothings easy any more lol..... so im lookin on ebay for a 2g 8gb? aslong as its not 3g i should be fine right?

thanks

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Correct.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

mart_292 (09-29-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mart_292 View Post
    Argh nothings easy any more lol..... so im lookin on ebay for a 2g 8gb? aslong as its not 3g i should be fine right?

thanks
    Yep. I would also make sure that it still has warranty, and in many cases the 16gb 2G won;t be much more expensive than the 8gb and with all the free apps you can get you might be happy if you just get the 16
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

mart_292 (09-29-2008)

This is so depressing, cheapest buy it now on ebay is over 300

*cries*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mart_292 View Post
    This is so depressing, cheapest buy it now on ebay is over 300

*cries*
    Do you have something against bidding? And those prices will most likely drop once the 3G is unlockable. People are paying a premium for the 2G since it can be unlocked to work with any network.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

mart_292 (09-29-2008)

i will be bidding its just its for a birthday present on thurs :S lol looks like its guna be late ...... what would u say is a standard price im lookin at for a new 8/16gb 2g new

thanks again ( i just clicked them thanks buttons duno if anyone cares?)