Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Silent Mode Not Working

Default Silent Mode Not Working
    I recently upgraded my iphone 2G software to 2.1 and unlocked/jailbreaked with Quickpwn for Windows. I installed Installer and Cydia and have used Cydia to install various software and themes.

Just today I had my phone set to silent mode (the bell appeared on screen) yet I received a phone call and it rang. Testing the switch and calling my mobile reveals the silent mode is not working even thought the phone changes to "silent mode" by displaying the bell. Interestingly I can also set vibrate on the silent setting and when in silent mode it will vibrate and ring.

Any clues as to why this is happening?

No one got an idea why silent mode isnt working?
    Last edited by greenfuji; 09-28-2008 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

try a restore. it also could be a hardware thing in which case you will need to talk to apple in having phone replaced
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

when you turn the switch to silent, the icon should show a bell with a line crossing it. if it's showing just a bell, that means your phone is turning your phone into ring mode, and not silent mode

Smile Possible 2.1 Silent Mode Fix
    I have had the same problem numerous times (11 to be exact, on two separate Iphones) with 2.1 upgrade and the silent mode not working. Problem solving and restore the phone several times this is what I have found....

Iphone 2G, jailbroken/unlocked with pwangetool

upon installing winterboard you must restart your phone prior to downloading or using winterboard. Jay Saurik states that sometime after installing winterboard the phone automatic restarts, but he is not sure why. I think this is a blessing!

Whether this was coincidence or not, it seemed to work for me. I found that after installing winterboard the silent mode did not work. At this stage prior to doing anything else I rebooted my phone and silent mode worked just fine.

I found that if you left silent mode on during restore and winterboard download then do other stuff (like more downloading or winterboard programing), then I didn't get any rings even when I put the ringer on.

So try restoring your phone and when you download winterboard restart your phone immediately after.

Thanks to Jay Saurik (Cydia installer) and other 3rd party software we have the opportunity to do such fun things. Thanks Jay. Don't forget to donate as well to keep the community alive.

Hope this helps for now.

Quote Originally Posted by greenfuji View Post
    I recently upgraded my iphone 2G software to 2.1 and unlocked/jailbreaked with Quickpwn for Windows. I installed Installer and Cydia and have used Cydia to install various software and themes.

Just today I had my phone set to silent mode (the bell appeared on screen) yet I received a phone call and it rang. Testing the switch and calling my mobile reveals the silent mode is not working even thought the phone changes to "silent mode" by displaying the bell. Interestingly I can also set vibrate on the silent setting and when in silent mode it will vibrate and ring.

Any clues as to why this is happening?

No one got an idea why silent mode isnt working?

Quote Originally Posted by upsidedownguy View Post
    upon installing winterboard you must restart your phone prior to downloading or using winterboard.
    Hey. I'm also having this problem. The phone still rings when in vibrate mode. Just to be sure I understand you:
    -Restore my phone to the Pwnage custom firmware.
    -Put phone in SILENT mode.
    -Use Cydia to install Winterboard.
    -Immediately restart the phone.

Can you confirm those are your steps?

That is bizarre, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Any idea if the restore is totally necessary or can I just uninstall/reinstall Winterboard. Restoring is such a pain in the a--.

Thanks for the help.
    -brian

----UPDATE----
    I uninstalled Winterboard and reinstalled it, then immediately restarted. Silent Mode now works corrently. I had the ringer off the whole time. Not sure how much was the restart or having the ringer off versus just reinstalling, but better safe than sorry.
    Last edited by IHatePho; 11-18-2008 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Fixed the problem.

I think your right. On a third phone, I did exactly that, uninstalled winterboard and then reinstalled it then restarted the phone. The key is to restart the phone after winterboard is installed. This doesn't seem to be an issue on 3G phones.