Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I'm an idiot...

Thanks

Default I'm an idiot...
    Well, I haven't done anything modding related to my phone in a while now, and I decided I should go from 1.1.4 to 2.1.

Earlier in the day, I decided to enable the 5-icon dock via freeboard again, and then downloaded the 2.1 ipsw and upgraded with the 5-icon dock still intact and tons of stuff hidden.

Now, I just have the spinning wheel of death when I turn my phone on and can't seem to find a solution... (I tried to search, by the way).

Anyway, I'll explain more if anyone wants; I have to run now, but I'll check back in a little while.

Thanks!

Put the phone into recovery mode and reinstall 2.1.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kguaW0doMWM]YouTube - iPod Touch/iPhone Recovery Mode[/ame]

Thanks

^Sorry, should have mentioned that, too... It's been done, G.

I'll give 'er another try, though. Thanks...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

If you did it would have put a new FW on there, you just restored from backup. That's not going to help at all.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

^?

I did the shift+click restore and redid it to 2.1 a couple of times, with nothing. I can get it to boot, but all my info is gone, then when I try to restore it from the backup, it won't boot.

I already used quickpwn and SSHed in to delete the com.apple.springboard plist because I saw somewhere that would work, but it did not.

This is not legit. Any further help would be totally great... :/

Okay, I rejailbroke and have both Cydia and Installer again... If anyone knows another plist I could delete that may work, please help me out.

If anyone has an idea, can you at least reply in here or hit me up on AIM for a moment?

Thanks a ton.
    Last edited by ALL DAY; 09-22-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

you shouldn't restore from a back up. if you want the 5 icon dock, just download it from cydia. i believe the one in there is compatible with 2.1

Thanks

Really?! I think that's what I need to fix my problem.

If I don't restore from a backup, how do I get my stuff back?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

as in contacts, calendar, photos, etc? if you didn't sync it with outlook or whatever pc program itunes is compatible with, i dont think you can get them back without a back up but obviously your previously jailbroken backup is not working...

i don't think you can extract the back up. sorry

Thanks

EDIT: Crap. (Good thing no mods noticed this when it was originally posted )... I have to make this work.
    I did at least make a copy of the .db of my address book before I updated, though.

If I set it up as a new phone, would my backup still be available later?

What if I used a different phone? Or is it the backup is completely corrupt?
    Last edited by ALL DAY; 11-25-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

How To Restore Your 2.1 Backup Explains a few issues with trying to restore to a backup and one about the 5-icon dock.
    iPhone 4 32GB JB & Unlocked w/ T-Mobile

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JRML970 For This Useful Post:

ALL DAY (09-22-2008)

Thanks

^Already looked at it and tried everything it said...

Just finished downgrading to 1.1.4, backup still won't work.

My phone is cashed. (EDIT again: ) Darn. This really sucks... I've downgraded to 1.1.4 rejailbroken, deleted the plist file that article you gave me said, nothing. I can't believe it...

I've worked on this for probably 7 hours today. (EDIT AGAIN: ) Screw me.

Thanks for linking me on Bosses page, though, by the way. I appreciate the effort.

Alright, I'm now trying to get into it via iPhonebrowser using this method: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/windows...ml#post2272391

It's not working, and I'm thinking it must have to be jailbroken again, so I'm restoring... (For about the 30,005 time in a day).

On top of all this, I just remembered that all my pictures will be gone, and I'm not even sure if I made a copy of the right address book file before. It's the .db from var/root/library/addressbook. Anyone?

JESUS CHRIST... When can I post so this won't be f'in automerged???????

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG...

I finallllllly fixed it somehow. I played around with the com.apple.springboard plists for a while, edited it, changed it back, and (EDIT: ) freaking went through about 12 restores/repwns and it somehow came back!!!!!!!

Thanks all around!!!!!

By the way, automerged postacular FTW.

Final EDIT: I'm hella glad this wasn't taken notice of before all of the edits, or I'd probably be banned about now... Good thing I just went back and did it.
    Last edited by ALL DAY; 11-25-2008 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

this was like a soap opera LOL

Thanks

^Yeah, for the time I spent working on it it should have been. There's got to be at least 5 different posts all in that one above yours.

Does the 5 dock icon work on 2.1

Thanks

LOL.

Yeah. I think it was part of what helped me fix mine.

It's on Cydia under "Five Icon Dock". DON'T FORGET TO UNINSTALL BEFORE YOU RESTORE

iPhone? More like MyPhone punklove's Avatar
    Thanks

okay... so does one actually have to UNinstall the 5 icon dock, or do you just have to move one of the icons off the dock before restoring from back-up after upgrading? [that's a big question..]

ps.
    your story reminds me of restoring my iphone from the back-up of the ipod touch that i had stolen from me... after hours and hours of restoring, re-jailbreaking, and being convinced that i had bricked a "less than 1 day old [to me]" iphone- everything magically seemed to work- thanks to this forum, searching, searching and more searching, and of course, google [aka god herself]-

thanks ALLDAY for an entertaining story...lol... glad it all worked out for you...

Thanks

One of teh great mysteries of iphone modding, repeating apparently the same process and having it turn out differently!

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.