Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Edge Required for SwirlyMMS?

Default Is Edge Required for SwirlyMMS?
    Well, I don't want to pay for the Edge service, so I have it turned off through boss prefs on my iPhone. I want to be able to send MMS, so I'm wondering do I have to have Edge on to send them and receive them?

I'm just wondering this, because why would my old Razr v3xx [w/o edge] be able to send pics/receive them, while the iPhone won't be able to?

And yes, I do have the unlimited messaging plan [texting and mms] on ATT

Quote Originally Posted by Biohaz4rd View Post
    Well, I don't want to pay for the Edge service, so I have it turned off through boss prefs on my iPhone. I want to be able to send MMS, so I'm wondering do I have to have Edge on to send them and receive them?

I'm just wondering this, because why would my old Razr v3xx [w/o edge] be able to send pics/receive them, while the iPhone won't be able to?

And yes, I do have the unlimited messaging plan [texting and mms] on ATT
    Your Razr pulled pictures through edge (or 3g if it was a supporting model) off of att's mmsc.cingular.com server. You were using data, but only being charged for the message since it was only directed at one online service.

To get your iPhone to use Swirly you will have to be on edge. If you keep your edge use strictly to MMS, then I think it would only go against your message allowance and not data. Bossprefs should have an exceptions option (if this theory above is correct) to allow for instances of data use through edge. The maker of that program should look into this.

I haven't tried it, but it's possible you can pull through wifi. I'll try next time I have an MMS notification.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 09-22-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks

And hopefully when people actually start realising this then MMS will be dead
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    And hopefully when people actually start realising this then MMS will be dead
    the mmsc server may be locked to wap access only (edge or 3g from att phones). It's possible it denies all other access, therefore securing the MMS stronghold.

:dunno

Thanks

in my eyes, the carriers are making extra money from MMS (unless you have free MMS messages, but why not get a web bolt on instead and use e-mail?) by re-sizing images and pushing them through their own servers, whereas, e-mail just works, great.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker