+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is my iPhone(2g) bricked?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I bought my iphone in March of this year and it was already unlocked/jailbroken on 1.1.4. Until recently, I noticed that whenever I'm in an area that gets poor reception,
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Is my iPhone(2g) bricked?
    I bought my iphone in March of this year and it was already unlocked/jailbroken on 1.1.4.

Until recently, I noticed that whenever I'm in an area that gets poor reception, my iphone loses signal and never regains it. It stays in that "No Service" state. Only way to get signal again is to turn off/on the phone.

Then, once in a full moon, the "Repair Needed" screen would pop up. I would turn off/on the phone and this message would go away and everything would be dandy again.

Then just a few days ago, I lost signal for good. Restarting , turning on/off the phone wouldn't fix it. That "repair needed" screen comes up every time. So with that, I tried to restore it back to 1.1.4. I went into DFU mode and tried it with no success. Error 1011, 1601, 1602, 20 all came up. I tried restoring back to 1.1.2 and even 2.1 with no luck. I re-installed earlier versions of iTunes (7.5, 7.6, 7.7) and tried restoring my phone but those errors kept coming up telling me "iphone was not able to restore". Now, the phone is always in the "recovery mode" (screen with the itunes logo and usb) unless it's turned off.

Is this the end of my iPhone? Someone shed some light.

Thanks

The restore screen? Ah, that's the problem. You want to be in dfu mode when you try to restore.

DFU mode:
    1. Attach phone to pc.
    2. Turn phone off.
    3. Hold power and home for EXACTLY 10 seconds.
    4. release the power button but keep holding the home button till your computer recognizes a USB device.
    (your iPhone should remain blank throughout this process, if it didn't, try again.)

I know this doesnt really solve the whole repair needed thing, but eh, one issue at a time.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    The restore screen? Ah, that's the problem. You want to be in dfu mode when you try to restore.

DFU mode:
    1. Attach phone to pc.
    2. Turn phone off.
    3. Hold power and home for EXACTLY 10 seconds.
    4. release the power button but keep holding the home button till your computer recognizes a USB device.
    (your iPhone should remain blank throughout this process, if it didn't, try again.)

I know this doesnt really solve the whole repair needed thing, but eh, one issue at a time.
    Yes. I know the difference between the two modes. I've tried restoring in both with no success.

Thanks

I'm guessing that the "repair needed" means there is a hardware issue with your iphone. I would bring it in for repair. Obviously you can't virginize your phone at this point but tell them that the phone was going buzurk and you heard that apple store use Ziphone to kick it out of recovery mode but that it did not work. You never know, they may accept to repair it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satch2501 View Post
    I'm guessing that the "repair needed" means there is a hardware issue with your iphone. I would bring it in for repair. Obviously you can't virginize your phone at this point but tell them that the phone was going buzurk and you heard that apple store use Ziphone to kick it out of recovery mode but that it did not work. You never know, they may accept to repair it.
    I have a friend that works at Apple. He said he couldn't take it in because once he connects the iphone to the computers there, the serial number will come up and since my iphone isn't registered with them, it means that it is a stolen iphone and it would be reported.

I've tried all methods.
    I've tried to restore to all firmwares only to get countless errors. (Yes I tried DFU mode)
    I even tried to restore on my friend's Mac and it still gave errors. (Errors 1011, 1600 etc)
    I've tried iBrickr to get it out of recovery mode. Failed.
    I've tried iLiberty to get it out of recovery mode etc. Failed.
    Ziphone would not detect it.

I honestly don't know what to do now. Can I safely say that it is a hardware problem and my phone is pretty much bricked?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Thanks

Unfortunetly I think it is dead. My last iPhone had the same problem, and I got the repair needed popup. I tried every and all method of restoring, eventually the battery died and it wouldnt take a charge. Thank god it was under warranty, and since it wouldnt start, they couldnt tell it was unlocked/jailbroken, and I got a new one at the Apple store.

Call Apple, when they ask for you ATT account #, Assuming you dont have one, just tell them you dont, tell them its your mom/friends phone and you are trying to fix it, give them the serial # on the back of the phone and see if its under warranty. If it is, make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar.... and Bingo, new phone.

Good Luck
    So long, and thanks for all the fish

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefanim View Post
    Unfortunetly I think it is dead. My last iPhone had the same problem, and I got the repair needed popup. I tried every and all method of restoring, eventually the battery died and it wouldnt take a charge. Thank god it was under warranty, and since it wouldnt start, they couldnt tell it was unlocked/jailbroken, and I got a new one at the Apple store.

Call Apple, when they ask for you ATT account #, Assuming you dont have one, just tell them you dont, tell them its your mom/friends phone and you are trying to fix it, give them the serial # on the back of the phone and see if its under warranty. If it is, make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar.... and Bingo, new phone.

Good Luck
    Thanks for the reply my man. But if the serial number on the back indicates that its NOT under warranty, then I guess I'm pretty much screwed then huh.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

had exactly the same problems with same errors with same different methods to fix it but never worked
    the phone was under waranty and they changed it immediately in the store

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphowned View Post
    Thanks for the reply my man. But if the serial number on the back indicates that its NOT under warranty, then I guess I'm pretty much screwed then huh.
    Pretty much. Time to buy a new one
    So long, and thanks for all the fish