Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Repair Needed.

Thumbs down Repair Needed.
    Hi all, im new here!

Previously i had an iPhone 2G, which worked great for me, but i have now upgraded to the iPhone 3G, which i bought from eBay :P
    And i've now got this error: "Repair Needed: iPhone cannot make or receive calls - www.apple.com/support" most cases i've read about were on 1.1.3 and stuff, but this is 2.0.1.

Im just wondering if this is hardware problem or software, and if its hardware, then do i just go to apple and cry for help? haha well ask for replacement or mend if more like.

Im from the UK by the way, and in the UK, the iPhone is available on O2, Pay As You Go now aswell, so can i some how completely wipe every trace of information off of my iPhone, restore to latest firmware, stick an O2 sim in and they will help?

Seeing as my iPhone 3G has been jailbroken and been activated for any sim.

LOL, im in a bit of a pickle aren't i!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

bassy xD

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Thats generally a bad sign. Usually means some type of hardware failure. You can try placing the phone into DFU mode and restoring. If it comes back up though its hardware and will take Apple swapping it out. But as you said, that will only happen if its on an approved carrier.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

Bassy2k8 (09-21-2008)

Ok, so should i restore to proper apple firmware...and then slot an O2 sim in?
    But i thought they can tell if its been unlocked or not? :/
    Is it actually possible to virginize the iPhone 3G?
    If so how?
    Lol lotsa question, and thanks for the help cpjr =)

Thanks

Well, if its a software unlock then yes, however the 3g cant be software unlocked as of yet. Yours is just sim unlocked, once you remove that sim and place the correct one in your fine.

Ahhh, i see, but whats the diferance between sim unlock and software unlock? :L n00by question i guess :L

this is what the sller of the phone sent me, i think she got a bit moody :L

"you have left me feedback saying your satisfied and item as described,!!
    now saying I have sold you faulty phone?
    that would be false accuse!

first off all....there is only one reason why it saying I phone need repair.. Its because you have hard reset the phone or done something wrong with it software,
    but don’t worry, what you need to do is installe itune and connect your phone to the pc then restore its firmware ! And your phone will be back to normal
    Do it carefully so you don’t make mistakes.

When you connect your iphone to itune it will say new firmware available click here to restore.
    Then I tune will download its firmware from apple(take while) and start restoring
    Ones restore is done it should be ok.

Apple wont replace anything brought off ebay, what you have done wrong must be cured by your self

one more thing.all my iphones are properly tested.non will say repair needed ok!.let me know if your need any help
    thanks"

Will apple really wont replace anything from eBay? damn :L

Well i've installed iTunes, and what about if i restored my iPhone to the unlocked 2.1 firmware (or sim unlocked or whatever) which is here: iPhone Downloads | iPhone 3G 2.1 Custom ipsw Download ?

Thanks again!

Thanks

Well, like i said, try restoring first.

Apple doesnt know you bought the phone off ebay, it doesnt matter as long as its still under warranty and its NOT unlocked.

The difference between sim unlock and software unlock is this:

1. Sim unlock uses a special sim you have to place in the phone to "unlock" it...in your case its an "anysim" which is the physical simcard in your phone.

2. Software unlock is just that, unlocking the phone through the software on it. You dont need a special simcard. The 3g isnt unlockable through the software yet so a sim unlock is the only method.

**Was the phone working properly when you got it? What did you do before it started doing this?

well i got it, and i thought the "iPhone 3G" quickpwning and custom FW's thing on WinPwn 2.5 meant just the same as it did for iPhone 2G :L

And the error came up after i quickpwned it and i installed a few apps.

And me being a total n00b who cant be trusted with elecronic equipemtn installed BootNeuter, thinking it would do the exact same thing therefor let me use any sim lol

So i need one of these TurboSim things do i? And then i can use any sim i want? Im on orange btw

Thanks

Yep, that what fudged it....bootneuter, the phone is getting a conflict between the baseband and the firmware.

The only thing that might fix this is placing the phone into DFU mode and restoring. Thats your bet. But I cant guarentee that.

And yes, the ONLY way of unlocking a 3g is with a sim unlock.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Yep, that what fudged it....bootneuter, the phone is getting a conflict between the baseband and the firmware.

The only thing that might fix this is placing the phone into DFU mode and restoring. Thats your bet. But I cant guarentee that.

And yes, the ONLY way of unlocking a 3g is with a sim unlock.
    Lol Hopefully
    Any ideas when WinPwn 3.0 is out, seeing as this software unlocks iPhone 3G's yeah?

Oh well, i can use it as an iPod touch until then, provided the baseband thing hasn't complete f***ked it up :L

Lol i told you i can be trusted with elecrical appliances

thanks again for the help, really appreciated.

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

My phone was doing the same thing 4 in a row every one after using quickpwn would say repair needed can't make or recieve calls so I restored with a custom fw and I have no problems

Quote Originally Posted by mr.sparky View Post
    My phone was doing the same thing 4 in a row every one after using quickpwn would say repair needed can't make or recieve calls so I restored with a custom fw and I have no problems
    iPhone 2G or 3G

Thanks

bootneuter on the 3g shouldn't have messed it up, seeing as it would never be able to get past the 'determining settings' stage.

Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    bootneuter on the 3g shouldn't have messed it up, seeing as it would never be able to get past the 'determining settings' stage.
    yeah thats true, it says "determining settings", then the making/receiving calls ever pops up, then it says "determining settings" again, and then the whole phone restarts. :L

Thanks

We dont know when winpwn 3.0 will be released, and we dont know if it will in fact be able to "unlock" 3g.