Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Non US Domestic 3G Iphones are Hardware Unlocked?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Non US Domestic 3G Iphones are Hardware Unlocked?
    Looking for Thoughts on this..

My Uncle purchased some NIB 3G iPhones in Italy and Hong Kong. These phones seem to be unlocked from the factory via hardware...Proof being we just updated the firmware from itunes directly (no pwnage) and then plugged in my T-mobile card with no problems.

Is this old news?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

some countries don't allow cell phones to be locked.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I live in Italy and just bought the 3g. Attached to the box was a smaller box with a TIM sim card in it. I brought it home, plugged in the sim card that I already owned from a different carier, connected to itunes, activated and now I'm good to go. So I would say that in Italy, the phone is unlocked. I took a few of my friends to go buy one after they saw mine and we went down to the TIM store (tim is a phone company). The rep at the store tried to feed me some BS that if you used a different carrier's sim card, you could make and receive calls but the internet and gps would not work. The guy had no idea what he was talking about and he was probably just telling us what the boss told him to say. But the down side is that the iphone is very expensive here 499 euro for the 8gb and 569 euro for the 16gb. That's over $700 for the 8 and $800 something for the 16gb. I'm in the military so I was able to get mine tax free. Taxes are about 20% here so I ended up paying only 474 euro for the 16gb. But I'm pretty happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by unlockme View Post
    some countries don't allow cell phones to be locked.
    you are correct

Quote Originally Posted by unknown_soldier View Post
    I live in Italy and just bought the 3g. Attached to the box was a smaller box with a TIM sim card in it. I brought it home, plugged in the sim card that I already owned from a different carier, connected to itunes, activated and now I'm good to go. So I would say that in Italy, the phone is unlocked. I took a few of my friends to go buy one after they saw mine and we went down to the TIM store (tim is a phone company). The rep at the store tried to feed me some BS that if you used a different carrier's sim card, you could make and receive calls but the internet and gps would not work. The guy had no idea what he was talking about and he was probably just telling us what the boss told him to say. But the down side is that the iphone is very expensive here 499 euro for the 8gb and 569 euro for the 16gb. That's over $700 for the 8 and $800 something for the 16gb. I'm in the military so I was able to get mine tax free. Taxes are about 20% here so I ended up paying only 474 euro for the 16gb. But I'm pretty happy with it.
    i also live in italy (military) and i got some italian buddies who bought the locked version MUCH cheaper than the unlocked version.. and asked me to unlock.. i just bought my 8GB 2G iphone for 350 and 420 for my 16GB 2G iphone on ebay..
    Oldschool 12" iBook G4
    Mac OS X 10.5.6
    iTunes 8.0.2
    QuickPwn 2.2.5
    2.2.1 Jailbroken 8Gig iPhone 2G - for the wifie..
    3.0 Jailbroken 16Gig iPhone 2G - my WHORE..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    are you talking about on eBay that they are much cheaper? I got mine from mediaworld in vicenza for 474 euro after the tax free document.

yea bro.. there are a couple of high feedback stores selling them..
    Oldschool 12" iBook G4
    Mac OS X 10.5.6
    iTunes 8.0.2
    QuickPwn 2.2.5
    2.2.1 Jailbroken 8Gig iPhone 2G - for the wifie..
    3.0 Jailbroken 16Gig iPhone 2G - my WHORE..