Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2.1 question

Default 2.1 question
    so is it true right now i have a 1st generation iphone unlocked and jailbreak with 2.0 i heard that if I update to 2.1 phone will still be unlocked meaning I can still make calls texts, etc but its just not jailbroken correct? so then all I have to do is jailbreak it with quickpwn? and it will still be unlocked correct? I have never done it myself, I paid to have it done before...

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

No, it will relock the phone. You will have to "unlock" it again. Because its a "soft" unlock...meaning done in the software, when you update its like formatting a harddrive and reloading the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    No, it will relock the phone. You will have to "unlock" it again. Because its a "soft" unlock...meaning done in the software, when you update its like formatting a harddrive and reloading the OS.
    will quickPWN unlock it to or just jailbreak?

Thanks

Are you sure cpjr? I thought the unlock stayed active if you updated to 2.1 , since the new update doesn't alter the baseband.

Thanks

^^Oh crap....my bad, tired. Yes, you are correct 461am going from 2.0 to 2.1 your fine. Unlocked is still unlocked.

ok thanks for help. i have tmobile on it. i have never tried it before so i wont have to unlock just update and jailbreak again with 2.1

would this be a good way to do it? this post previous

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...ows-guide.html

thanks for all the help guys

Thanks

Yeah, Winpwn hasnt been updated for 2.1 yet, only Pwnage (Mac). So, yes thats your bet.

ok thanks. going over the steps they seem pretty straight forward since I don't have to unlock. that will redo the jailbreak for me. I have never done it before...would you recomend me trying it? thanks for help

I'm pretty sure that it will only stay unlocked if you do the "update" to 2.1. If you do a "restore" to 2.1 you'll lose the unlock. Is this true? Or am I just full of crap? Haha

so quickpwn wont unlock it just jailbreak it?

so what I guess I'm trying to ask before I do this all is...my phone is already unlocked and jailbroken on 2.0 1st generation iphone (not 3g) so If i update to 2.1 it will stay unlocked but not jailbroken. Well When I jailbreak it with quickpwn will it also be unlocked and jailbroken or just jailbrokeN?
    Last edited by session3eleven; 09-17-2008 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

if you restore to 2.1, you lose your unlock. If you update, it sticks. Before you go about this I suggest you try to undo any changes you've done to your phone. Unhide apps hidden by poof, get rid of intelliscreen, get rid of categories (take all your apps out first). These programs all seem to cause trouble to people who update, so just a heads up.

If you update to 2.1 and then use quickpwn, you will be both unlocked and jailbroken.

Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    if you restore to 2.1, you lose your unlock. If you update, it sticks. Before you go about this I suggest you try to undo any changes you've done to your phone. Unhide apps hidden by poof, get rid of intelliscreen, get rid of categories (take all your apps out first). These programs all seem to cause trouble to people who update, so just a heads up.

If you update to 2.1 and then use quickpwn, you will be both unlocked and jailbroken.
    do you mean just 3rd party apps from cydi or apps from appstore itunes too?

if i still have itunes 7.7 (i never updated to 8.0) do I still have to update to 8.0? because when I put in my iphone it says I can update to 2.1
    Last edited by session3eleven; 09-18-2008 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

get rid of your cydia apps. You never know what might cause the problem. If it let's you update, go for it. (you need to get to 2.1 one way or another).