Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Major Issues! Please Help!

Default Major Issues! Please Help!
    For the past week or two, I have been experiencing some major issues but I've been too lazy and too busy to ask for help-- Well, I've found the time.

My Problem:
    I have a jailbroken/unlocked iPhone (2G) running on T-Mobile (w/ BlackBerry Internet Plan). When I installed the new 2.0 firmware, I was fed-up with waiting for the iPhone to create a 2-hour backup every single time I connected. So, I did my research and I disabled the backup Internet's Best Secrets: Disable iPhone Backup on iTunes for Windows. So everything was working fine, until one day my iPhone froze. When I restarted (and went to iPod), all of my music was gone. My phone said: 'No music- You can download music from iTunes.' Weird. So I figured I would connect it later, and just use the apps... And then, my Apps stopped working. Whenever I open them, every single app (except stock applications like Phone, SMS, Email, etc.) does not function and exits immediately. When I connected it to my PC, it told me that all the music was in fact on my iPhone. So now I'm stuck. I want to restore my iPhone to either 2.02 (to replace the bug on 2.01) or to 2.1 (would wait for WinPwn), but the problem is I don't want to lose all my preferences, text conversations, etc. I am now unable to get my iTunesPref.xml to backup my iPhone anymore. Can anyone instruct me on how I can get iTunes to create another backup? It will no longer do it even if I delete the disable backup script. Anyone know when WinPwn is coming out or how I can get rid of this bug?

On a separate note, my T-Mobile internet only works sporadically. For the past month or so it only works about 10-25% of the time. I have tried deleting the T-Zone Hack/ re-installing it/ resetting network settings/ tried both internet2/wap in the APN settings/ restarting the actual device/ etc. But my internet just doesn't work like it used to. I get the message cannot connect to the server , even though there's a little E next to T-Mobile indicating EDGE.

Thanks for the help,
    Matt

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

I would completely uninstall Itunes and then reinstall it. That should fix your backup problem. And no, we dont know when the new winpwn will be out.

And by the way, I also hate the long backup time....so all I do is hit the little "x" beside where it says "backing up...etc" and it skips the backup, goes straight to the sync.

I had already unistalled/re-installed iTunes-- didn't work.
    I just tried it again to double check and iTunes will NOT create a backup. I plug it in and it says:
    'Syncing iPhone', then
    'Syncing contacts from iPhone' then
    'Syncing iPhone' and finally
    'iPhone sync is complete. OK to disconnect.'

Nothing works.

I would, that way I would be able to keep everything, but I do not want to lose the jailbreak.

Does anyone know how to fix this?!
    Last edited by gibbs0828; 09-18-2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If you update using one of the custom firmwares from the Pwnge forum on this site, you won't lose the jailbreak.

Well I don't want to lose my texts-- how can I create a backup? And then I'll restore

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

I think there's an app called "treasure my text" on cydia download that

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Essentially you are wanting to make a backup without having made a backup? iTunes has the backup function for IN CASE occurances like yours. I don't think anyone has really worked on a backup method because, well, iTunes provides you with one. Unfortunately I think there really is no way around this. I had the same problem on my 3G (sort of, but close enough to this problem) and I finally just said screw it and updated and pwnd it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

On a positive note, 2.1 backups are quick quick QUICK. Just update and keep your backups from now on

Also worth noting that people had issues with using the backup info from older versions to 2.1 so it might be within your best interest to concede and just start fresh with 2.1 anyway!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

OK, so I went ahead with it and updated my iPhone to 2.1.
    I forgot that I would lose EVERYTHING, not just SMS/Settings, so I lost my photos, etc... Kinda pissed. What's even more annoying is that I can no longer SSH into the iPhone. I have openssh installed and I've reinstalled/ rebooted several times but I can't get it to work. 2.1 issue? UI seems faster so far, we'll see.