Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
09-15-2008, 05:02 AM #1
UnDocumented iPhone 2.1 Features!
Originally by "justinomg" at macrumors.com
Original with pictures @ iPhone 2.1 Update, new & undocumented features/fixes screenshots (Updated constantly) - Mac Forums
The iPhone 2.1 Software Update.
The iPhone 2.1 software update contains many bug fixes and improvements. To get it, connect your iPhone to your computer using iTunes 8 and click Check for Update.
• Decrease in call set-up failures and dropped calls
• Significantly better battery life for most users
• Dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes
• Improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
• Faster installation of 3rd party applications
• Fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes for users with lots of third party applications
• Improved performance in text messaging
• Faster loading and searching of contacts
• Improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display
• Repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages
• Option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts
• Genius playlist creation
All screenshots have been taken and uploaded by myself unless stated otherwise. Please do not use them without crediting me.
Feel free to post any more new undocumented features and I will happily upload a screenshot to the thread, crediting you for the find of course.
• You can now pause apps by clicking the icon while it downloads/installs.
• Tripple clicking the microphone button (attached to included headphones) now goes to the previous song played/in a playlist. (Credit to Sealit).
• New podcasts & videos had "filled" blue bubbles next to them to indicate that they were new, but with 2.1, if you have "half-played" a podcast or video, it will include a half filled blue bubble. (Credit to Dangeresque).
• Sound from videos now "fade out" if you press the home button. Before, they would cut out abruptly. (Credit to Dangeresque).
• Options to load & display earlier text message in a convosation. (Credit to cx300).
• The iPod now shows the album artist and album name underneath the song title.
• New 3G, Edge & GRPS icons
• EXIF data infomation now remains on photos/pictures when emailed from your iPhone. Sites such as Flickr are now able to show geotag and other infomation. (Credit to MadGoat).
• Updated apps now keep there original position in the Home Screen.
• Although it isn't exactly a "new feature", some bluetooth headsets which didn't originally work with visual voicemail on previous firmware versions have been reported to be working on 2.1.
• (Model number unknown) Platronics BT Headset (Credit to Trihard).
• Plantronics 520BT Headset (Credit to trunksu).
• (Model number unknown) Motorola BT Headset (Credit to MisterBlister).
• Plantronics 925BT Headset (Credit to diesel).
• Plastronics Voyager 510BT Headset (Credit to QuarterSwede).
• Bluespoon AX2BT Headset (Credit to galenmd).
• The 12/24 hour clock which has been available in previous versions is now usable to UK iPhone users.
• iTunes now displays how much infomation is taken by up applications installed on your iPhone.
• The Camera application can now be restricted from Settings. (Credit to Kardashian).
• Auto rebooting once the Apple Boot logo dims fixes the "ALoD" issue. (Credit to Switz123).
• iPod volume setting is now independant to the phone ringer volume setting. (Credit to Rat-Boy).
• When location services is switched off in the Settings menu, the Maps application reminds you to must manually turn it back on from the Settings menu when using GPS. Originally, you would have the option to turn it on when the notification appeared. (Credit to sgiles1).
• More infomation is provided for audiobooks, such as displaying time left in active audiobook. (Credit to reposed).
(Credit to reposed).
• When recieving a text message, it used to display "Sender - Text Message" when the message preview was off, e.g "Pete - Text Message". After updating to 2.1, it now just displays "New Text Message". (Credit to nutts & phannon666).
Screenshot to be added soon.
• You can now display the AM/PM on the lock screen, if you're using the 12-hour clock.
Note: This function, for some reason, does not appear on everyones phones. Some 'upgraded' phones show the AM/PM indicator when set to 12-hour, but some don't. However, most 'clean installs' of 2.1 will show the AM/PM indicator. (Credit to Kardashian).
• Third-party application settings are loaded after loading the main Settings. (Credit to Nall).
(Credit to Nall).
• With the UK English keyboard setting, when entering URLs, holding down the '.com' button would bring up shortcuts to other TLDs, but for some reason it would drop '.net' to make room for '.co.uk'. 2.1 adds '.net' for the UK English keyboard. (Credit to NekoFever).
(Credit to NekoFever).
• Apple have fixed the grammar in the App Store when all apps up to date. Prior to 2.1, the update page would display the text "All Apps Are Up-To-Date." (hypenated with a period). The update page now displays the text "All Apps Are Up to Date". (Credit to NekoFever).
(Credit to NekoFever).
• Double tapping (the standard gesture for zooming) didn't work in prior firmware versions in the Mail application. The only way to zoom into content (e.g. a HTML attachment/web page) was to use the 'pinch' method. 2.1 now adds the functionality of double tapping to zoom in the Mail application. (Credit to sibruk).
"Genius" playlist creation screenshots:
Automatic Download/Installation Tutorial
iPhone 2G & 3G: Apple - iPhone - Software Update
Manual Download Links
iPhone 2G: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....6_Restore.ipsw
iPhone 3G: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....6_Restore.ipswiPhone 4, Yellow Custom Glass, 32GB, 4.3.3, non-working home button. And a prototype iPhone 4 White.
Main Computer:MacBook Unibody Plastic, 2.26GHZ, 4GB RAM, 250x2GB, Red glowing Apple.
Water Damaged iPhone? Don't throw it away; iPhone Motherboard washing tutorial!!! (PM me I will do it for you)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mars478 For This Useful Post:
09-15-2008, 05:47 AM #2
We already have a thread on features that are documented and undocumented, and it is posted in the proper forum.
09-15-2008, 09:50 AM #3
Please post in the proper forum
09-15-2008, 04:49 PM #4