Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dead Iphone

iPhone? More like MyPhone TT KH's Avatar
    Thanks
    Default Dead Iphone
    Will someone in MMI pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee put your thinking cap on and help me out. I have a 1st Gen Iphone 8GB lock for AT&T firmware 2.0.2, So one day I decided I needed to jailbreak and unlock the phone for the heck of it well more like for "Tmobile" by using Winpwn 2.5 beta and Itune 7.7 and custome firmware 2.0.2. and the phone were never the same, I tried like atleast 50 times so many code like 1 , 6, 1061 1062 1064 and so on, tried 3 different desktop and a laptop so many usb hub and port and cables, shutdown and restart countless times, and one day the screen were dead even though I have it on a charger for days, So I determine it might be the battery, then I decided to take my GF Iphone battery and swap them, her phone has my battery and mine is still dead. What could it be? Even when the phone were barely have any juice in it it, would not do a factory restore and a custome restore as well. I'm sick and tired of this Iphone? By the way her phone run like a champ with my battery in it.

Send it to DFU mode and restore, I dont think you've tried DFU mode yet.

Plug in the phone and turn it off. Hold the power button and home button for 10 seconds, then let go of the power button, but KEEP HOLDING THE HOME BUTTON until iTunes recognizes it..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Safari For This Useful Post:

TT KH (09-14-2008)

Thanks
    Thank you! but I did that also, but nothing! Even tho I fully charge mine GF Iphone battery before doing the swap but my phone won't come on, I even double chek my solder"red white and black on the battery" could it be the power button or the home button and or the HD crash due to the fact, that I kept pwned and HD lock up. I wonder if there's such a tool that can give this phone a Jolt. Clueless in Seattle!
    Last edited by TT KH; 09-14-2008 at 10:21 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

sorry...dont want to add salts to your wound..but i think your phone really need a pro to fix it.

This is what i have learned from member One1..here is his quote:

"somewhere on these iphones is a surface mount fuse. They are microscopic and look like every other SM component on the board to the amateur.

The only reason why I know there is one is because it is required by law to be considered safe to distribute as an electrical device.
    When you plug the phone into the USB hub the USB hub is powering the phone not the battery.
    We already know it won't run off the battery, and the battery won't charge. So we know that the battery is essentially "cut off" from the phones logic board, right? That's where that fuse would be...... somewhere on the logic board.

The iPhone battery has three wires, not two. One is a "reach around" voltage wire that acts as a floating ground. LI-ON batteries have a + a - and a floating -.

With the battery cut off from the logic board (physically) an iPhone won't turn on and boot if plugged into a USB. Same situation you are having. Even if you did find the SMF on the logic board, you wouldn't be able to replace it. It'll be designed for that circuit and you can't readily find another one. Also, it's the size of a toothpick tip so it isn't the easiest thing to desolder and resold the contacts on without melting it.

Repair possible? As long as that is the only issue.... Repair likely? Not very much unless you are very good with soldering and have connections on SMF's."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SundayDuffer For This Useful Post:

TT KH (09-14-2008)

Thanks
    Just great from a regular mod, I wonder what the people @ apple will think of it. But I still can't understand what went wrong, hopefully the people @ the apple store won't rape me on this deal. Or should I just tell them what I did, they will probably laugh at me and refuse to work on it, Or I could just tell them that I bought the phone off the street, CL or Ebay and was wondering if the warranty still in effect. Is there anyone in MMI work for Apple or AT&T that can pull up the serial number to see if they can work on some sort of magic I do need a miracle right about now.