+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Found an iPhone can i activate it?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I found an iphone and the service has already been cancelled from it. Can i just activate it through AT&T ? AT&T Customer support said that you can use an
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Found an iPhone can i activate it?
    I found an iphone and the service has already been cancelled from it. Can i just activate it through AT&T ?

AT&T Customer support said that you can use an already activated iphone by putting a new sim in it and activating that sim. there is no tracking based on serial # for lost or stolen phones.
    Last edited by c1ockwerk; 08-28-2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Why would you try to activate a stolen phone? Man up and take it to the nearest AT&T/Apple store.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmm, just found it?

And yes, if my phone is reported Stolen, it's ESN (Electronic Serial Number) is flagged as "STOLEN." Then, if that ESN is activated on another line... then BAM, they have you. It's pretty easy.

If you really did steal it, just sell it off to someone else... but just be a man and take it back to ATT.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

probably not the best questions to ask a bunch of people who LEGITIMATELY purchased an iphone. I say take it back to the store...and yes, they can track it if reported lost/stolen...

Green Apple
    Thanks

i purchased my phone already, saying i found a phone is a lot easier than saying that my buddy found it. He was wondering if he could activate it. And no they cant track it, there is no tracking on phones according to AT&T

Thanks

Yeah, they cant track it. But they can flag it as stolen, and not allow it to be activated. Tell your "buddy" not to be an ******* and return the damn phone.

Livin the iPhone Life iphonejeff's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EmoRebellion View Post
    Yeah, they cant track it. But they can flag it as stolen, and not allow it to be activated. Tell your "buddy" not to be an ******* and return the damn phone.
    wow buddy chill..if he found it he found it...it aint like its ur phone he found...
    mod edit, old signature removed

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

yea, ive often wondered about this morality issue.

i say keep it.
    i mean if you find 20$ on the ground in a store you keep it right?
    or you can be an idiot and return it to lost and found so that whoever happens to be working that day gets to keep it.

i dont think they pay AT&T employees well enough to keep them from just pocketing the phone same as you would.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well, c1ockwerk never said it was a lost phone or a stolen phone. Maybe his buddy 'found' a good deal on a used phone. I can't comment there. But...

If it was activated, then the serial number is on file. It should be possible to find the original owner, either by contacting AT&T or Apple and supplying them with the phone information. Obviously, they won't say who the original owner was, but your buddy should have no problems providing HIS info (assuming he didn't actually steal it) and have that info relayed to the owner of record.

There may be a reward in it for him, I know that if I lost my phone and it turned up, I'd be very grateful...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Duh
    Why would ATT tell you that they can track you registering the stolen phone. You haven't really commited the crime until you do. As proof that they can track it, if you really already have your own iPhone look at it's main screen in iTunes. The serial number is displayed right on the main screen. Do you really think that their system isn't smart enough to match stolen serial numbers to new activations?

As far as finding $20 dollors on the ground that is a bad example. Most people don't have hard third party proof of the serial numbers of their money. ATT would be able to find the original owner quickly by matching the serial number to the address used to activate it. Keeping it is the same as stealing it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I need iphone Help!!!
    I Recently bought an i-phone of a friend, the friend bought the phone of a website and then decided didnt want it and passed onto me. I did my research on this phone and had it checked through CheckMEND - The Global Second-Hand Stolen Goods Database for Public & Trade Checking before i purchased the phone, the report came back fine it wasnt reported lost stolen or anything it was all legit.
    Now i have plugged it into my computer it is asking for the original sim card, coming up with this error message ( insert a valid sim with no pin lock to activate phone).
    is there a way i can get this phone up and running? even though i am not original owner of phone and do not have original sim

Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

Consider if you lost your phone. I'm sure you'd appreciate it if someone returned it or at least made some effort to find you. But where your moral standards are is your own, and I dont find it necessary to dictate it. I just know if I ever lost my phone, I'd be grateful and reward the finder for being a good Samaritan about it. I know if I do more good than bad in my life, the same will return to me. But hey, that's just me. But be aware, it is possible for Apple to blacklist a device and render it useless that even jailbreaking or restoring won't work. As long as the owner has the IMEI which can be found on the box, they can get the device blocked.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c1ockwerk
    purchased my phone already, saying i found a phone is a lot easier than saying that my buddy found it. He was wondering if he could activate it. And no they cant track it, there is no tracking on phones according to AT&T
    Just because they can't or won't track the IMEI number of a phone, does not make it right to keep a lost phone without trying to return it back to its owner.
    1. Look at Contacts and call the owner...Most people will offer you a reward.
    2. Return it to an Apple Store. The Serial number is registered with the owner.
    It's not that hard to do, if you were brought up with any values in life.

Quote Originally Posted by iphonejeff
    wow buddy chill..if he found it he found it...it aint like its ur phone he found...
    I am very disappointed with your response as a moderator of MMI. c1ockwerk should make every effort to return the iPhone to its owner. Nobody should be helping him activate an iPhone that does not belong to him.

If he found it he found it...your kidding right? It aint your phone he found....WOW. I guess there is no harm when it's not your phone.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reddawg View Post
    I am very disappointed with your response as a moderator of MMI.
    He is not a mod. Mods have red names.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    He is not a mod. Mods have red names.
    I was fooled by his title under his name, which said moderator. Thanks for clearing that up.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Not sure why that title was given to him cause current mods will not allow a title with that under it. But this is an old thread that some spammer brought back. Spam was removed.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

He was at some point

Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,169 Posts

iPhonejeff was a mod here years ago. And I don't agree with his post either.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Before my time

Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,169 Posts

Can 1 of you guys change his title. I'm on my iPhone and can't. Thanks.