Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: transplanting 2g screen to 3g HELP

Default transplanting 2g screen to 3g HELP
    Hey everybody,
    Its a sad day for me.

My week old 3g fell and the screen is shattered.I went down to the service provider (Im in india) and they have this book of pictures to match with the customers phone to tell them if the damage is covered or not :fail In this case it isnt.

I have a 2g which has a dead strip.(which is covered under warranty but apple never launched 2g in india it was unlocked and jailbroken.so they wont fix it)

anyway i was wondering if i could maybe put in the 2g screen into the 3g and claim a replacement.

My question is, will it fit? In India apple doesnt have a functioning repair unit, they just replace stuff. So even if any internal warranty seal is broken they wouldn't really know.

Hope someone can help me :S

thanx!

chaitanya.

Thanks

Nope. With the 1st Gen iPhones the LCD screen and the digitizer are melded as one unit. On the 3G, they are separate.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

but the effective thickness is the same right? whht about the dimensions? i dont really care if it works i just want it to fit right so i can go up to them and say "look, the screen isnt broken but it wont turn on and according to that picture book of yours u owe me a replacement "

what say?

but the effective thickness is the same right? whht about the dimensions? i dont really care if it works i just want it to fit right so i can go up to them and say "look, the screen isnt broken but it wont turn on and according to that picture book of yours u owe me a replacement "

what say?
    Last edited by chaitanyamuppala; 09-10-2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Wouldn't know about the effective thickness. You can try, but I have my doubts as to your success.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Talking Snuff film?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    ...I have my doubts as to your success.
    Second this...but if you try, please please PLEASE document the slaughter and post it up for all to see.

Pics would be good. Video would be better. People love to stare at car wrecks.
    PLEASE click everyone's "Thanks" buttons...they are begging for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcrash View Post
    Second this...but if you try, please please PLEASE document the slaughter and post it up for all to see.

Pics would be good. Video would be better. People love to stare at car wrecks.
    thanx that was positively encouraging :P

The glass of the screen is bigger on the 3g iphone, even if you replace the LCD and digitizer the glass will not fit. Sorry
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

Thumbs up Go for it!!! Go for it!!! Go for it!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaitanyamuppala View Post
    thanx that was positively encouraging :P
    Don't see ANYONE "encouraging" this idea since it's fundamentally flawed at a hardware level. But watching people ignore reality and play Apple Engineer is always fun.

How's this for supportive: PLEASE do it!
    PLEASE click everyone's "Thanks" buttons...they are begging for it.

yup.... watched some videos of assembly and dissasembly of both the phones.... and doesn't look like it can happen....

gonna buy the digitizer with glass for 60$..

thanx everyone

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

I envy how cheap the parts are for the 3g. They are double expensive for the 2g. Says something for quality though.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    I envy how cheap the parts are for the 3g. They are double expensive for the 2g. Says something for quality though.
    that isnt true....for the 2g the screen is sold as one unit because they cant be seperated from the lcd.the 3g screen is divided...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

You might want to do the totals again for everything. "double expensive" is a loose term, but projects the results in a vague, but easy to understand way.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s