+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone Volume Button Question (Broke?)

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
hey guys for some reason my volume button on the side of the iphone is messed up. the volume up works fine but the volume down button doesn't. it kinda
    Thanks

Default Iphone Volume Button Question (Broke?)
    hey guys for some reason my volume button on the side of the iphone is messed up. the volume up works fine but the volume down button doesn't. it kinda feels like it might be jammed in there or stuck because when i press it i cant not feel it clicking. it causes my phone to turn the volume down by itself constantly. this problem just started occurring about 30 minutes ago. i have a 4gb iphone that i bought from a friend about 4 months ago. i check and the warranty is out on it at apple. if someone has any suggestions and tips it would help me out greatly thanks.

EDIT: i found out i restarted my iphone and i could turn the volume up. and it stays turned up now. only problem is now my volume down button still will not work. it seems like it is still jammed inside or something.
    Last edited by ghostmask; 09-10-2008 at 06:10 AM. Reason: foudn out new stuff about problem

Thanks

I had the same thing happen to my volume up button on my 2g phone. I FIXED IT, but the repair is not for the faint of heart and will definitely void your warranty! The problem is the button on the inside. I call them “bubble buttons” or “dome buttons” cuz I don’t know the technical term. They are basically a “bubble” that when pressed, the top inside touches the bottom inside to make the connection. Mine was “deflated” meaning the bubble wouldn’t pop back out. Kinda like this… (| un-pressed )| pressed.

I did this all with minimal tools, specifically a very small Phillips screwdriver from a glasses repair kit, an exacto knife and a very small sewing needle. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU TRIE THIS AND SCREW SOMETHING UP! IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT ABOUT YOUR ABILITY TO DO THIS, DON’T DO IT. ONCE AGAIN, THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. Here’s what I did (sorry no pics as I did this at my desk at work):

1. I removed the sim card
    2. I removed the black plastic cover from the back of the phone
    3. I remove the 3 Small screws holding the aluminum back on. Two are on either side, and one is in the middle.
    4. I removed the aluminum back cover. Be careful as it will still be attached to the phone via a small ribbon cable…Now comes the fun part…
    5. If you look where your buttons are inside the case, there are three screws holding them in. I could get to two of them just fine, but one was covered by the vibrator motor. So I took out the two screws holding the motor in. I also had to take the one screw out of the headphone connector. Now you can move the motor and headphone connector enough to get them out of the way.
    6. Take the three screws out of the volume buttons. Now you can move them around enough to see the problem. One of my “bubbles” was just silver and one was silver with a black dot in the middle. The one with the dot was my problem (vol up)
    7. I very carefully poked the pin (FROM THE SIDE OF THE BUTTON) in between the top and bottom sections. They are separated by a non conductive layer around the ousted edge so they don’t make contact all the time. I went in between the layers. DO NOT POKE (POP) THE “BUBBLE PART OF THE BUTTON! Low and behold, the bubble popped back out (yea!) I tested it by gently pressing it with the round end of my screwdriver. DANG! It stayed in again. So I took the needle and slid it back in and GENTLY rubbed it around the inside of the bubble to give it its shape back. I tested it again and IT WORKS!
    8. I put the phone back together and am enjoying my working volume buttons again! One note on re-assembly: the screw for the buttons that was behind the motor was a royal pain to get back in. I had to slightly magnetize my screwdriver to hold the screw. I also had to hold the motor, phone jack and the ribbon cables away from the hole to get it back in. I almost left the screw out (everything worked fine without it), but tried and tried and finally got it in. The moral of the story is: Don’t drink a bunch of coffee or red bull before doing this project. I had a “Java Monster” before I started and couldn’t keep my hands from shaking long enough to get the tiny screw back in.

I hope this can help someone else. I hated having to go to the settings to turn up my ringer etc…

Thanks

I have the same exact problem with my phone as well but I don't think I have the heart to take apart my phone, could I send it to apple and have them fix it?

Thanks

Ok I went into an apple store and asked if any of them could fix it and they totally burnt me down as they saw my phone was jailbroken T_T does anyone have a solution that doesn't require dissecting my phone?

Thanks

^Restore that bad boy and take 'er back to Apple. Hopefully you'll score a replacement...
    Respect your elders.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ALL DAY For This Useful Post:

mimiosusume (11-21-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mimiosusume View Post
    Ok I went into an apple store and asked if any of them could fix it and they totally burnt me down as they saw my phone was jailbroken T_T does anyone have a solution that doesn't require dissecting my phone?
    Now take it back and show them the hardware wty on your phone is one year regardless of the SOFTWARE and make them fix it. I can't believe Apple is trying to get away with this all over the country. If they do not honor the hardware wty from the manufacturer supplier they got the parts from they are in violation.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

8. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

mimiosusume (11-21-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Now take it back and show them the hardware wty on your phone is one year regardless of the SOFTWARE and make them fix it. I can't believe Apple is trying to get away with this all over the country. If they do not honor the hardware wty from the manufacturer supplier they got the parts from they are in violation.
    I'm afraid my warranty is already over a year, there's no way I could ever pay them to fix it? Or can I buy another warranty?

Green Apple
    Thanks

i'm in the same boat as mimiosusume. what can i do? warranty is over.