Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: And Thought Windows Was Bad - Apple Looks Away

Default And Thought Windows Was Bad - Apple Looks Away
    I just upgraded my iphone 3G from 2.01 to 2.02 and now I'm getting the "iTunes could not restore the iPhone "xxx" because the backup was corrupt or not compatible with the iPhone that is being restored."

The reason I did backups were to prevent situations like this and now I have nothing. Does anyone know how I can restore my contacts/calendar/settings (maybe a manual method by using the backup data files?).

I lost all my contacts which were extremely important.
    Due to this I'm going to end up loosing a lot of clients.

Note: I still have my backup which contains my contacts however, iTunes won't let it through and keeps giving me the error (apparently this is happening to dozens of people).

Any help would be appreciate it.

-Anarchist
    If my post was helpful, why not click "thanks"

Thanks

You mean you only keep your contacts on your phone? All of mine are stored on my AddressBook (Mac). You can't blame Apple if your backup became corrupted, would you rather they allow the corrupted content to be synced to your iPhone? What would you be complaining about then? As for happening to dozens of people, this is actually the first I've heard of it. My only advise, and I guess it's a little late, don't rely on iTunes backups to be your only repository for your vital information.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

actually I do keep an external backup (do one every week or so) however, this doesn't contain the latest contacts (I add more than 30 new contacts per week). Furthermore, I got very important notes which even with a contact backup I wouldn't be able to get. Also is not just 1 backup that says is corrupted but all of them. Lastly, if you go to the official apple forums you would see the number of people having the same proble (and apple is doing nothing about it).

Note: this error seems to be happening only with the new 2.02 firmware.

-Anarchist

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah man i wouldnt blame apple for this either, there is nothing they can do when your back ups become corrupted. if you do have that much business that you handle from your phone you should have a better backup plan than just relying on itunes to sync it for you. sorry bro that sucks
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by pokekid View Post
    yeah man i wouldnt blame apple for this either, there is nothing they can do when your back ups become corrupted. if you do have that much business that you handle from your phone you should have a better backup plan than just relying on itunes to sync it for you. sorry bro that sucks
    Disagree.

They made the software that creates the backup. If it fails, Apple fails.

simple as that.

It'd be different if we were talking about a component that wasn't made by Apple (like the HDD or screen)...but when talking about SOFTWARE...

...well...

...that's ALL Apple.

And to be honest, TC, you're screwed. Those babies are gone. Everyone else trying to be nice and consoling aren't helping you one bit at this point. Fact is they're gone due in part to buggy iTunes software.

The only positive I can think of going forward is that these occurances are rare. I'd be worth your time to jailbreak your phone (if it isn't already) and manually back up your Addressbook .db file by logging into your phone via SSH and going to:

Private --> var --> mobile --> library --> AddressBook

and

Private --> var --> root --> library --> AddressBook

just to be on the safe side. You'll also fine the backup database for your SMS messages, call history, Safari stuff, maps bookmars, voicemails and more.

I back up all of them manually this way before I do anything formatting or DFU restoring. It's infinitely faster than doing a iPhone backup/restore and is fool proof.

Take it from someone who has also learned the hard way just as you now have"

F*** apples backup software.

Back your **** up manually through SSH. Back it up to more than one place if it'll make you more comfortable. Do it this way every time you upgrade the OS and jailbreak again. It's fast, efficient and works every time.

Damn putting all your eggs in one basket.

Best.

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

most people who have had problems have had theirs jailbroken which isnt supported nor produced by apple so its not their fault that people hack and expect everything to be gravy. thats why i keep my contacts on paper and numerous devices.

remember you cant access all those files without a jailbreak. apple neither supports nor creates the modding scene. i have never had a problem with a backup even though i never use them. hacked and stock as well on 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    Disagree.

They made the software that creates the backup. If it fails, Apple fails.

simple as that.

It'd be different if we were talking about a component that wasn't made by Apple (like the HDD or screen)...but when talking about SOFTWARE...

...well...

...that's ALL Apple.

And to be honest, TC, you're screwed. Those babies are gone. Everyone else trying to be nice and consoling aren't helping you one bit at this point. Fact is they're gone due in part to buggy iTunes software.

The only positive I can think of going forward is that these occurances are rare. I'd be worth your time to jailbreak your phone (if it isn't already) and manually back up your Addressbook .db file by logging into your phone via SSH and going to:

Private --> var --> mobile --> library --> AddressBook

and

Private --> var --> root --> library --> AddressBook

just to be on the safe side. You'll also fine the backup database for your SMS messages, call history, Safari stuff, maps bookmars, voicemails and more.

I back up all of them manually this way before I do anything formatting or DFU restoring. It's infinitely faster than doing a iPhone backup/restore and is fool proof.

Take it from someone who has also learned the hard way just as you now have"

F*** apples backup software.

Back your **** up manually through SSH. Back it up to more than one place if it'll make you more comfortable. Do it this way every time you upgrade the OS and jailbreak again. It's fast, efficient and works every time.

Damn putting all your eggs in one basket.

Best.
    Well said, exactly my point (except some fan boys will support their company till the end, even if they wrong).

On another note, I was able to get back around 90% of my contacts with the help of a client of mines which works at Redhat. Sadly, the other stuff is gone.

I will be jailbraking my phone soon and manually copying these backup files individually as "adrian" suggested (great idea).

-Anarchist
    If my post was helpful, why not click "thanks"