Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A few noob questions...

Question A few noob questions...
    Hello everyone. I'm a noob here. I'm not really a noob at modding, I've been modding various Motorolas for the past few years with the help of ModMyMoto.com

However... I'm new to iPhone.

My question is that, I have a 1st Gen 4GB iPhone that has been Jailbroken and unlocked. It has 1.1.4 firmware. Is it possible to update to the 2.0.2 firmware?

If so... would I still be using Installer or would I be able to get the ApStore? Or both?

Thanks

Yes it is possible to upgrade to 2.02. You'd need to jailbreak via pwnage/winpwn/quickpwn to gain access to installer and cydia. You would have access to the app store as well.

Installer is currently unbearably buggy. You would be using Cydia (it's like installer) for all 3rd party apps not accepted by apple, and the app store for applications that apple deems okay.

Unlock/jailbreak Guide for windows
    Unlock/jailbreak Guide for mac
    Last edited by 461am; 09-08-2008 at 11:39 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 461am For This Useful Post:

unfaced (09-10-2008)

Okay. So I'm new to iPhone modding. Explain what I need to do? I know my phone is already Jailbroken. Does that mean I'd have to do it again?

Thanks

Yes, you would have to do it again. My advice to you is to restore via itunes to a clean version of 2.0.2, and then follow one of the two guides, depending on whether you're on a mac or on windows.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 461am For This Useful Post:

unfaced (09-10-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Pwnage 2.0 Guide - ModMyI - Wiki

We have guides on this site.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

By restoring to a clean version of 2.0.2 and redoing everything, would I lose all my info, pictures, apps, phonebook, etc...?

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Pwnage 2.0 Guide - ModMyI - Wiki

We have guides on this site.
    I checked out that guide but I have Windows XP and that says for Mac OSX only.
    Last edited by unfaced; 09-10-2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

there's a jailbreaking guide posted for pcs above. and yes, you will lose all your information. you can try backing up your phone prior to upgrading and rejailbreaking, and restore from the back up but that's known to cause problems for the phone and it's usually recommended that you set up the phone as "new"

you can always sync it with outlook to save pictures, contacts, and calendar events...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jtesnani For This Useful Post:

unfaced (09-10-2008)

Two more questions...

On the guide I downloaded the iphone restore file, and it's a .zip not a .ipsw. Where would I find the correct file?

And... it says in step 24 that iTunes will prompt you. Does that mean I need to be in iTunes the whole time, or do I start it up right then?

Thanks

You restored to 2.0.2 through itunes right? If so, a copy of it should be saved on your computer at
    C : Documents and Settings > *USER HERE* > Application Data > Apple Computer > iTunes > iPhone Software Updates
    Take the 2.0.2 file and create a custom firmware from it using pwnage. Make sure you don't upgrade to itunes 8, seems to cause problems.
    Step 24 in the iclarified guide is referring to after winpwn makes you put you turn your phone off, press the home and power button, etc, at which point if your phone is connected to your computer, itunes should alert you and tell you to restore.
    Last edited by 461am; 09-10-2008 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unfaced View Post
    I checked out that guide but I have Windows XP and that says for Mac OSX only.
    I said guides, not "A guide". All you had to do is look through the wiki
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks everyone for your help!!! =)

I just have a few fine tuning questions...

How do I uninstall Installer 4?

And in 1.1.4 I had more options to tweak and fine tune themes with summerboard. Like I was able to choose whether or not to use the custom icons or not. Where as with Winterboard, I don't. Is there a way to fine tune or tweak that stuff?

Last question... When I go into Cydia and go to manage all the apps, there's a lot of stuff I don't know what it is. Can I uninstall this stuff or is it necessary.

The list for Cydia is...
    "adv-cmds"
    "APT"
    "Base Structure"
    "Bourne-Again SHell"
    "bzip2"
    "Core Utilities"
    "Darwin Tools"
    Debian Packager"
    "Diff Utilities"
    "Find Utilities"
    "Gawk"
    "GNU Privacy Guard"
    "grep"
    "gzip"
    "inetutils"
    "less"
    "nano"
    "network-cmds"
    "New Vi"
    "rsync"
    "sed"
    "shell-cmds"
    "system-cmds"
    "Tape Archive"
    "unzip"
    "zip"

Thanks

1. You'd have to repwn your phone to get rid of installer, that or ssh into your phone and delete it there (though there might still be traces you wouldn't know how to get rid of.) Your best bet is to use poof and just hide it.

2. You could use WbApp (get it from cydia), which would make it a bit easier to tweak winterboard themes, but If you really want to get rid of custom icons, you'd have to ssh into your phone, go to the theme and delete the icons from there.

3. The packages you pointed out in cydia are necessary. Since most people don't know what they are or what they do, there's an option to hide them.
    Go to Cydia > Manage > Settings > User (Graphical Only).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 461am For This Useful Post:

unfaced (09-12-2008)

Thank you all for your help. I'm no longer such a noob! You've all helped me successfully perform my first iPhone hack!