+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Roommate washed Iphone

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
My roommate forgot her iphone was in her pants when doing laundry, so we were just wondering what to do with it, is it fixable? should she sell it for
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Roommate washed Iphone
    My roommate forgot her iphone was in her pants when doing laundry, so we were just wondering what to do with it, is it fixable? should she sell it for parts? we would appreciate some ideas,

Thanks,

P.S not smart a s s comments please.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Place it in a sealed container with dry rice. Let it sit for about a week. DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON.

IF, you can completely dry it out....there is a possiblilty it MIGHT still work.

Otherwise, its good for parts. Its not worth fixing unless you can find another broke iphone (one that the screen is broke, circuitboards are good) cheap and swap parts.

PS - Bet she wont do that again.....I couldnt resist

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

If it is still hosed in a week, I got $50.00 here, screen please: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/buy-sel...screen-2g.html
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i read around the forums that people were able to dry it but it was minor water damage, not laundry if it doesnt turn on then i'd guess its gone

Thanks

Yeah that's about 45 minute of water being shoved into it while it probably tries to turn itself back on several times..... not good.

Thanks

^^Believe it or not, also my roommate washed his.

I completely disassembled it, place it in a sealed tuperwear container with that moisture absorbing "stuff" you can get at walmart. Left it for a week, put it back together and it works! There is a small smudge on the screen you can see from 1 angle, otherwise its fine.

Thanks

That's pretty cool. It has a lot to do with what programs are on it believe it or not. Some phones have software conflicts that make them try to restart if they are shut off suddenly (been there, done that) so it keeps trying to boot and kills it. Also, some people use "insomnia" which is known to restart phones. That process can't happen too many times before it goes poof. Sounds like your friends cut of and stayed off.

(LUUUUUCKKKKKYYY)

Thanks

^^Thats what I told him! I had already offered him $50 for it, should have never fixed it first

Thanks

or an endless boot loop. That would be an inconvenient time to have that one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jordo_6's Avatar
    Thanks

i saw that replacement screens for iphones on ebay where around $250

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I washed mine, left it sit near a space heater for about a week, I could see some moisture in the screen getting smaller and smaller each day.

After the moisture was gone, I turned it on, luckilly it still worked.

This was a year ago and it still works, i sold it to my buddy when the 3G came out.

One thing I noticed, the 3G cause it comes apart, gets A LOT more water in it!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    If it is still hosed in a week, I got $50.00 here, screen please: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/buy-sel...screen-2g.html
    Hey, I second that. I wanna see this guy creates iPhrankenstein!!!!

Thanks

I know when my kid left his Razr phone in his pocket and I washed his pants (I refuse to check pockets). i took it apart and rinsed the circuit board off with 91% rubbing alcohol then did the let it sit for a week in a warm dry place. Worked fine, although the speaker took an additional 2 weeks to stop sounding garbled.

The theory behind the alcohol is that it acts as a catalyst to help any water evaporate. Have NOT heard anything in regard to doing this with an iPhone though.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Alright thanks to everyone for sharing their ideas and experiences, she is gonna have to sell it I guess, but not for $50 heheheh

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by diazjoaquin View Post
    Alright thanks to everyone for sharing their ideas and experiences, she is gonna have to sell it I guess, but not for $50 heheheh
    Not sure why you came to that conclusion, as several posters noted that phone was recoverable; albeit with some potential cosmetic issues.

I've not had this happen to me - but if it did, I would consider opening it up and using electrical contact cleaner spray to clean it out. I would imagine, at least in the screen, that mineral and soap deposits might remain after it dries out leaving a residue. That residue might at worst be conductive, or at best be cosmetic. After a good once over with electrical contact spray I would get blow it out thoroughly with compressed air. "might" not be necessary to wait a week using this method, since the contact cleaner is highly evaporative.

Disclaimer! I've not done this before to iphone, so I have no idea impact upon LCD screen - maybe someone else has experience in this regard. I've done this procedure with other electronics that got wet with great success (i.e. the water cooler on my PC busting a leaking and saturating powered motherboard, cards, and drives with 5% antifreeze solution

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

soak it in 91% (minimum) alcohol in order to replace the water. let the alcohol evaporate and youre done. or like others have done let it dry for a week but be sure it is completely dry. however, you might want to look into replacing the battery because its not good for the battery(water that is). i think its corrodes the terminals or sumethin.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I need a replacement LCD (outer glass creacked), does anyone have experience if the LCD of water damaged phones are likley to be OK when dried out.

If I have resanable confidence that the LCD might be OK I might consider buing a water damaged phone ans swap with LCD.

Thanks ColinK