+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Major Problem/Power Button

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Alright, so here's the story, I bought my iPhone somewhere around May and it's a 16GB 2nd Gen iPhone. Not 3G. Anyways, the power button was fine and working until
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Major Problem/Power Button
    Alright, so here's the story, I bought my iPhone somewhere around May and it's a 16GB 2nd Gen iPhone. Not 3G. Anyways, the power button was fine and working until 2 days ago. I was taking a shower and I brought the iPhone in and I took at nice hot shower, anyways, the iPhone was just on the ledge next to the shower, and no water was accessed to the iPhone. The power button at this point, I saw NO problem with it, so I went to school and had my hand in my pocket and kept turning the iPhone on and off. When I got home, I noticed that it was really hard to turn it on and off and I kept having to click it 2-3 times to turn it on/off. Then like 10 minutes later, it just completely stopped working. (The power button). So I don't know, the button kinda looks slanted. It kinda was slanted when I bought it, but it's still clickable, just nothing happens. I can't bring it to Apple because I live in Kitchener, ON, and I bought it from a random Flea Market. I need help!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sounds like all your random clicking on and off in your pocket ended up unlatching it somehow.

Your best bet is to probably take the back part of the case off and see if you can get to the power button and make sure it's secured.

There are numerous guides to taking the back apart and it can't hurt your phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Doesn't that have to do with taking apart your whole iPhone?

-Bump-
    Last edited by Jachson; 09-06-2008 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure it involves taking apart most of it, but it doesn't seem that difficult from the guides I have seen. It doesn't involve messing with the screen very much. I believe the backing comes off in one piece and then you have to pull out the inside, but you should be able to get to the power switch.

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

you most likely got steamed it up
    i would take it apart take a look
    heres some guides iPhone 1st Gen. Disassembly: iPhone Parts
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

****, but if I do this, wouldn't my phone **** up? And what tools would I need?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

how often do you turn it off? prolly not often, just use bossprefs for rebooting it and hopefully the problem corrects itself over time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jachson View Post
    ****, but if I do this, wouldn't my phone **** up? And what tools would I need?
    There is a chance you can if you don't know what your doing. You need a case opener tool and a screwdriver (not sure on the size or whatever, the guides say it) just get in there, and adjust the button back to normal.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The button clicks, but just nothing is happening, and where can I get a case opener, I just wished that I can fix this without having to open it, and I turn it off and on alot.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anymore ideas?

Here is a video of my iPhone problem:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afjd8lTuZcE]YouTube - iPhone Problem w/ Sleep & Awake Button[/ame]

Here is a video of my iPhone problem:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afjd8lTuZcE]YouTube - iPhone Problem w/ Sleep & Awake Button[/ame]
    Last edited by Jachson; 09-09-2008 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

By a pen if you wanna click something over and over. It's a computer......

Tear it apart and get to work on replacing the switch.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s