Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Obtained iPhone with broken screen. What parts do I need?

Default Obtained iPhone with broken screen. What parts do I need?
    The screen is cracked and it doesnt respond to touch on the bottom half of the screen... but it still powers on and firmware can be loaded on to it... just cant slide to unlock. Friend gave it to me so I could use it for parts, but Im thinking maybe it might be worth it to just fix the screen. What parts do I need?
    I went to PDAParts.com and they sell a LCD & Digitizer combo for like $160 or $170... is that all I need?
    Will that restore the touch to the bottom half of the screen?
    Any place else I can get these items cheaper?

Thanks in Advance

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

That SHOULD be all you need. Assuming that the issue is JUST with the LCD/touchscreen. The price is right around the correct price, but I would more recommend selling the thing as broken/as-is on ebay and buying a working one. Will probably net less money spent than getting a new lcd and possibley messing things up. I guess it all depends on how comfortable you are overall with putting a new lcd on.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    I went to PDAParts.com and they sell a LCD & Digitizer combo for like $160 or $170... is that all I need?
    Will that restore the touch to the bottom half of the screen?
    Any place else I can get these items cheaper?

Thanks in Advance
    that is what you need.

Yes, it replaces the digitizer and protective glass. They are a fused unit. Do not believe anyone that tells you you can just replace the front glass.
    won't work, it's fused to the screen, and you will destroy the black backing trying to remove it, or also, break the glass.
    I've done 2 replacements with this screen.
    only way to get this cheaper is to try eBay for a phone that you don't really know the true condition of.

I watch a you tube video on the screen replacement and it doesn't look all that challenging so as long as you take your time. But aren't used iPhones selling pretty high due to the fact that they are easy to unlock?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I have seen them from between 200 and 400. You could probably sell the broken one for between 100-200 and the warranty might even still be intact. Just a suggestion. If you feel you can do it, great. if not, you just wasted nearly 200 bucks on the screen. It all depends on how comfortable you are with changing the screen out.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings