Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Please someone explane me this????

Exclamation Please someone explane me this????
    i have an iphone 2.01 jailbreaked and everything,but i almost had to pay 500 dollars for downloading data .....of course i know that through edge if u download smth regarding third party application they will charge my real question is if you use wifi connection can they charge u for that do they actualy know that u r downloading data on your phone cause usualy i turn off the edge with bosssprefs(it really shuts it down) and i download from installer and cydia with wifi
    CAN I BE CHARGED FOR THAT SOMEHOW OR NOT..... please somebody reply on this

your phone carrier can not charge you for downloading off wifi
    they can only charge your for downloading from edge/3g
    the stuff you download from wifi wont show up on your bill

If you don't want to receive 500$ invoices, install Boss Pref from Cydia and put the edge @ off. Even if you don't hava a data plan, the edge or 3G are active on the iphone after 2.X firmware. The only way to turn it off is with Boss Pref. In the 1.X.X firmware, you could turn it off in the settings.

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by satch2501 View Post
    In the 1.X.X firmware, you could turn it off in the settings.
    no you couldn't, you could change the APN to gibberish so it wouldn't download any thing but you couldnt really "turn it off" which you can still do with some carriers
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

umm, I don't know about you guys, but my phone switches to wifi automatically (disables edge). I just don't download anything on edge anyway, it takes too damn long.

Quote Originally Posted by FramedTrash View Post
    your phone carrier can not charge you for downloading off wifi
    they can only charge your for downloading from edge/3g
    the stuff you download from wifi wont show up on your bill
    x2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

You are not being charged for anything except edge data, not "downloading apps". It has nothing to do with what you do on WIFI. You just don't quite understand what goes on with an iPhone. It doesn't send and receive data "when you want it to", it does it pretty much constantly every 5 minutes or so. It checks email, it syncs with time.apple.com, it does several processes pinging several places all automatically. You're being charged $500 because you don't have a data plan and don't know all the things the iPhone does that have nothing to do with what YOU do while using it, not because you DL'ed apps on WIFI.

I'd suggest you find a way to get a data plan or sell the phone because you have not been charged for anything related to apps or the otherwise, you are being charged for DATA the iPhone is using behind the scenes which is what it does. It's how the phone works, your time stays "on time", and how your email stays "in the know" as well as a hundred other things that go on all day.

Your provider knows what phone you have, the iPhone identifies itself on a network, they can see you are trying to skirt paying them for a data plan, and they can justify every cent of that bill, so plan on paying it. It'll show the phone connecting about 200 times a day to ping the network for email, time, other processes. The real kicker.... some of those apps "call home" when you turn them on. You're using data with some apps just turning them on. Be glad you are still on 1.1.3 because a much larger majority of 2.0 apps call home.

None of this is the bad news though......... The bad news is that in the time it took me to write this your phone pinged your email server at least once, and connected to time.apple.com once, then ran two system processes and pinged the network a few times........... and just ran up another $7.50 on your phone bill.
    Last edited by one1; 09-08-2008 at 01:12 AM.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

how did they almost charge you $500? I mean did they agree to drop it, or did you just choose to ignore it?