Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No recognition

Default No recognition
    I plugged in my iphone today and the message I get is that one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it. It shows up as an unknown device in the USB device manager, what can I do?

Thanks

Uninstall the "unknown device" entry from Device manager, reboot your computer and then try plugging into a different USB port.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Thanks worked like a charm, but now I see another problem Itunes doesnt recognize my phone, I can only charge it now.

Quote Originally Posted by AmithShetty View Post
    Thanks worked like a charm, but now I see another problem Itunes doesnt recognize my phone, I can only charge it now.
    man i am having the same problem im using itunes 7.7.1 im not sure someone please help me

Thanks

try uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes. Make sure you rename your entire iTunes library folder first or you will lose all your stuff. After you reinstall iTunes you can name it back.

tried it didn't work, and now it's not even charging anymore, do you recommend me trying to find a driver because when i go to install the device it asks for a driver but I don't know where it's located.

Thanks

Try putting it in restore or DFU mode, worst case just use a different computer.
    Careful itll be tricky getting out of restore or DFU mode if that doesnt work though...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

The iPhone doesn't need a driver, it has it's own under SP2 and in all Mac software.

When USB drives go on the fritz you have to decide whether or not it is software or hardware..... and pray it is software.

Your case, could be either, but when something software related has worked for a long time and suddenly stops, it's usually hard ware. (of course if you are on windows I take that back).

Point being, when hardware fails in the iPhone it starts to draw excessive current from the USB (The normal rate is 500ma, under a hardware issue it will be 750ma). This shuts the USB HUB down in the computer.

A power adapter doesn't know any better so it will feed 750MA to the phone all day long and not care, which fries whatever is inside that is giving you the problem. The computer is smart enough to know when to say when, the adapter is not. If your USB ports are shutting down on you, it's a sign that you might want to take to heart.

The next step in the advancement of a power issue is a charred black spot where your phone used to be. Nearly guaranteed if you are using a power adapter and ignoring the USB issue with the computer.

Amith, with you losing charge ability this means the USB hub is shutting down from excessive load. BE CAREFUL from here.

Try all your software settings first (restoring and such), then if it doesn't solve it ...... give up the ghost, you have a serious hardware issue. (and I need parts from your phone if you do)
    Last edited by one1; 09-05-2008 at 09:29 PM.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

9. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

AmithShetty (09-07-2008)

Ahhh this sucks. I used to get a couple of random messages about a USB malfunction on the computer. I also have another issue, I get a constant message on my phone about something being incompatible and I should go into airplane mode when I put in the USB cable charger for the computer, the strange thing is that it also pops up randomly even when I have nothing connected to my i phone. Any suggestions that don't involve me giving up my phone to someone for parts haha.

Thanks

Aw man I wish you hadn't said that. Your logic board is on the fritz. THAT is hardware. When the iphone board starts to go it begins to switch the outputs and inputs making it think it has accessories plugged in when it doesn't.

There is one thing you can do however if you wanna pump some money into it and see if it helps. A small number of iPhone users have reported solving some hardware conflict resolution messages by replacing the flex cable in the phone. They are $25-ish + shipping on ebay and you have to completely disassemble the phone, install the new flex cable (which is a paper thin ribbon cable in the heart of the phone so be very careful), and put it all back together while crossing your fingers. It is the masses compiled opinion that you cannot take an iphone apart and put it back together without bends on the case or scratches so if your phone is perfect and you want it to stay like that you need to pay a pro to do it, but keep in mind they get about $65 an hour with a 2 hour minimum. By the time you buy the flex cable and pay someone to replace it, you might as well have chunked the phone or sold it for parts.

Now, do I think that replacing the flex cable will fix it? NO.

Is there a chance it WILL? Yes, a very ..... tiny one. So if you have the nuts to open the phone and the money to blow on it, knock yourself out. It's the ONLY thing it could be other than the logic board itself so it's a one shot deal. If it works, you win, it if doesn't you lose your money and time and have a dead phone. I'm only giving it a 15% chance of working, but that's a chance if you are a "glass half full" type of person.

......if your repair doesn't work (and don't get your hopes up on that flex cable) I want your parts....... don't break the thin glass screen taking it out of the phone when you try your repair - that's what I need and I got $50.00 with your name on it.

PS- As I said above keep in mind this is the issue after you have checked all your software possibilities, which you say you have.

If you are really scared to do the repair I'll do it. You can PM LT (see my thread in the classifieds) and ask him if I didn't do exactly what I said I would and what he asked me to do just as promised. I may need a screen, but if I can fix the phone, I sure as heck will and my needs can come later. It is with all my experience building iPhones and as an EE that you have a hardware issue though because you are drawing excessive power from the USB, shutting the hubs down, and have the dreaded accessory message with nothing in the ports. That's hardware. Software can't do that. A flex cable however, is indeed hardware so........ %15 chance it'll work.

EDIT: do this, go to cydia or installer (whatever you use) and get the battery app that shows detailed battery info. Tell me what it says either when it is just idling normally as you are sitting there unplugged and looking at the screen, or when charging at when you plug it into the wall charger. It will give you a milliamp rating. iPhones maximum safe draw is 500 ma, if it is pulling 750ma then your logic board is draining heavy current and you need to unplug it immediately. If it is 500ma, you are charging at a maximum safe current and this only means your issue may be sporadic which doesn't solve anything, but gives me more info
    Last edited by one1; 09-07-2008 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks for the response, are you talking about the program called MyBattery? The thing is whenever I put my phone into the USB in the computer it doesn't come up as charged, but I know it's charge cause the bar is gradually increasing. The only thing I have to ask is if this problem stays this way how long till my iphone will malfunction?

i have a similar problem and that is that no itunes from 4 computers will recognize my iphone. I'm not sure what to do i upgraded to itunes 7.7.1.1 and then downgraded, reinstalled and erased my itunes library (backed up on hard drive ) so it is ok. Also, the phone isn't charging so I'm not sure what to do. At least 5 to 6 itunes reinstallations and still can't get itunes to recognize my iphone. I need it to recognize because my iphone doesn't charge all the way. Any help please respond.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AmithShetty View Post
    Thanks for the response, are you talking about the program called MyBattery? The thing is whenever I put my phone into the USB in the computer it doesn't come up as charged, but I know it's charge cause the bar is gradually increasing. The only thing I have to ask is if this problem stays this way how long till my iphone will malfunction?
    I don't care if it is charging, more the rate it is charging at. If 750ma, it won't last long at all. week or less IMO.

Yeah, the thing is how can I find out if its at 750ma, the my battery app doesn't really show me anything.

Now I can get the charge sign to appear sometimes but Itunes pops up with a message that says "Itunes cannot connect to Iphone"" because an invalid response was received from the iphone.