+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: YOUTUBE - Wi-fi vs 3G

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Alot of people probably noticed that the quality of Youtube video is quite awful on the 3G cellular network. Blurry and low frame rate. But why? I previously lurked some
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default YOUTUBE - Wi-fi vs 3G
    Alot of people probably noticed that the quality of Youtube video is quite awful on the 3G cellular network. Blurry and low frame rate. But why?

I previously lurked some forums and people were saying that the youtube app matched 3G and EDGE together. It wouldnt be able to differenciate the two. So youtube videos on wi-fi look great and 3G and EDGE looks like crap.

People were also saying that 3G wasnt fast enough and videos would stop/lag because of the slow streaming.

I wasnt ready to believe that because so far I am impressed with the 3G (I never had a data plan before). It would be understandable on the EDGE network that the vids quality needs to be low but in my experience 3G is close to wi-fi speeds.

So what I did to test youtube quality videos on the 3G network was going on Google Video since it doesn't differenciate the Cellular network from wi-fi. You probably know it is possible to play most of google videos by clicking on the "download for ipod" option.

So I did that on the 3G network first. The video loaded quickly with no lag.

Next, on Wi-fi. Video was the same quality and loaded about the same speed.

I want great quality on the go. It is possible to watch youtube videos on the 3G network with the same quality that you get on wi-fi. Thats what a data plan and an iPhone is for.

Apple could easily make an update so that youtube knows your on 3G therefore stream the same quality than you would get on Wi-fi. They could also make an option for low or high quality.

Reply to this thread if you agree and someone should send an email to apple lol.
    Last edited by M4tt Dam0n; 09-02-2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

It has nothing to do with Apple. It's AT&Ts "problem". 3G is faster in other areas compared to some areas. It's a network. It's not going to be perfect, and especially with the iPhone, it seems to be slower than on other 3G phones.

Also, YouTube is not one of the biggest concerns for Apple. Right now they are trying to get all the other 3G issues fixed and updated, not worrying about lagging videos on AT&Ts 3G network. If you want a good quality YouTube video, use WiFi, or use Tooble from your Mac and download the YouTube videos to your phone.

And Apple couldn't "easily just make an update".

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadicatedartist View Post
    It has nothing to do with Apple. It's AT&Ts "problem". 3G is faster in other areas compared to some areas. It's a network. It's not going to be perfect, and especially with the iPhone, it seems to be slower than on other 3G phones.

Also, YouTube is not one of the biggest concerns for Apple. Right now they are trying to get all the other 3G issues fixed and updated, not worrying about lagging videos on AT&Ts 3G network. If you want a good quality YouTube video, use WiFi, or use Tooble from your Mac and download the YouTube videos to your phone.

You don't get it. YouTube videos for iPhone are encoded in low quality and high quality. For each vid you get 2 versions. Remember the YouTube apps don't play the flash versions but it plays converted vids that the iPhone can play. It has nothing to do with how many bars you get on the cellular network. And AT&T has nothing to do with how the iPhone handles YouTube.

The proof is that I'm not even on AT&T as I live in Canada. 3g is fast and I don't have problems with it. It's just how the system works and yes apple could fix the problem with a simple update. Or there could be a hack to fool the YouTube app in thinking you are on wi-fi.

Its also the same reason iTunes can only work on wi-fi. With EDGE it would be too slow of course but with 3G it's perfectly possible. Problem is that apple hasn't allowed us to download music over the cellular network.
    Last edited by M4tt Dam0n; 09-02-2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt Dam0n View Post

Apple could easily make an update so that youtube knows your on 3G therefore stream the same quality than you would get on Wi-fi. They could also make an option for low or high quality.
    You are absolutely right. I gave Apple a call when I saw this post. I ended up talking with about 3 people, none of which knew this "problem" (I say it that way because I am note sure if its a problem or a design feature) existed. basically I didn't care to waste more than 30 minutes on the phone with them so I just told them to tell the right people, lol. My feeling is it was overlooked. There is no reason for them to make us download low-res videos with 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by deadicatedartist View Post

...and you sire, did not read the previous post AT ALL. You turned this into something that it absolutely is not.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 09-02-2008 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I did some research and I came across a solution! As usual Apple can't do things by themselves... no copy paste, no vido recorder, no MMS... 3rd party devs have to do it.

Ladies and gentlemen I present to you Truveo. It is an app thats just replaced the youtube app on my iPhone. Quality is 10x better, you finally get the quality of the original videos and it doesn't lag at all on 3G(Gotta say Rogers have a nice connection, still hate them lol). And even better when you search you not only get videos from youtube but from other sites like Metacafe, Dailymotion etc...

You can also browse "channels" from TV channels like G4, Discovery etc...

This app rocks. Get it on the Appstore if you have an iPhone 3G(and data plan of course!) and want quality vids on the go.

P.S. You may get an error message telling you you need to have an internet connection, its just a bug and im sure it will be resolved, keep trying and itll work.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow, I honestly did not know that about having two different versions for low and high quality.

Sorry for the confusion and leading up to an answer without being certain.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Wow I totally forgot about MxTube and I had the app for a long time ago lmao. Yep so you guys can try Mxtube it does the same thing minus the other sites/channels...But you can also download vids on the iPhone.