+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone tethering

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I am trying to tether my Iphone to my eeepc, I have setup an adhoc mode. I can ssh and ping the iphone. I am following this turorial cre.ations.net -
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Iphone tethering
    I am trying to tether my Iphone to my eeepc, I have setup an adhoc mode. I can ssh and ping the iphone. I am following this turorial cre.ations.net - Blog entry: How to tether your iPhone 3G and browse the web using your 3G connection . The problem I have is when I am supposed to browse in safari to make it switch to 3g all I ever get is this
    Safari can't open the page because it is not connected to the internet
    I updated to 2.02 and used qikpwn 2.03 was something changed to block the current tethering solution?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well i just restored to 2.02 re jailbroke it and used the 3proxy and mobile terminal setup with my eepc and works great now. Not sure what happened but I didntnotice but i had also lost all 3g connectivity and phone would crash immediately. not it all works

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am having the same problem. Sometimes it works but sometimes it will get stuck on wifi and will not go to 3g???

Thanks
    what exact steps did you use to create the connection? I JUST got an EeePC and I am trying to make the tether work....
    I hack.
    I make themes.
    I beat up nerds. j/k

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Its been so long since i have done it, I ended up having no use for it, and updated to the newest firmware and havent bothered to rehack. Besides the fact, im pretty sure i used these two links Feature: Use Your iPhone's Internet Connection On Your Laptop and How to Tether and Connect iPhone (1G, 2G and 3G) as Modem for Internet Gateaway My Digital Life and tried to mimic the instructions for linux.
    Good Luck

//sorry about late response

Thanks
    don't apologise, and thank you!
    I hack.
    I make themes.
    I beat up nerds. j/k

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

just use pdanet... or some other free app on cydia most work.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alek View Post
    just use pdanet... or some other free app on cydia most work.

x2, use PDAnet from cydia. simple and easy to use, works great.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

yes but pdanet is not free... (well officially ofcourse) some others are but they are more complicated

just whatever you do dont use a long method like the one u have cuz 90% of the time they dont work and they have a high chance of screwing ur phone

iPhone? More like MyPhone MikeYuse0406's Avatar
    Thanks

I use PDAnet and I must say that I highly recommend it. About paying for the service, look at it this way. You have to pay a one time fee of 30 bucks for the full version of PDAnet, whereas carriers will normally charge you 30 bucks a month for their tethering services.

$30 once v. $30 a month :/

In addition, PDAnet has a free version, which I have not tried. However, as far as I am concerned, if you just need to tether for internet browsing, the free version of PDAnet allows to use HTTP:// sites.

You should give it a try. I was also reluctant to pay 30 bucks. But honestly, I am happy I did. Easy to use, reliable, and has not yet crashed on me once.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I have the free version of PDAnet. I think mines is stil free b/c I didn't upgrade the newest version available from cydia. I'm going to pay for it today because I can appreciate the hard work those guys do.

Let me get something straight though. I sometimes have to try to connect to PDAnet multiple times before I actually get connected on my laptop.

Let me know if this is right:

Turn on wifi on my laptop
    Connect to my "iPhone" ad-hoc network
    Turn on wifi on iPhone
    Connect to the "iPhone" network
    Open PDAnet and turn it on.

Sometimes it won't work and I have to disable everything and keep trying about 2 more times until I finally get connected. Am I on the right track though or is their an easier way?

By the way those EeePC looks sweet. I carry around a 17' for school and it's a pain. I need to get one. I think i'll wait until next year until they release better ones with more hard drive space and stuff.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

PDAnet takes a couple tries to get connected sometimes but I love it! It works great and I highly recommend it as well. I'm not sure if this is allowed to be post. It's not exactly a cracked app. Just the old one.

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

drop pdanet1.33.deb into /var/root/
    then
    su (enter login/pwd root/alpine for you people who refuse to change it)
    then dpkg -i /var/root/pdanet1.33.deb.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MikeYuse0406's Avatar
    Thanks

So far I only encounter the connection problem with PDAnet the first time I connected using the newest version. However, I have not had any more problems connecting afterwards.