+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help me keep my iPhone

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So I've had this thing for a few days and it's pretty cool. I love the browser and YouTube on the go. I could care less about the iPod functions,
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Help me keep my iPhone
    So I've had this thing for a few days and it's pretty cool. I love the browser and YouTube on the go. I could care less about the iPod functions, I really don't listen to music all that much. The UI is pretty slick but the lack of customization really kills it for me. I think the single biggest disappointment for me is the ringer volume. I mean seriously, Apple must think we are all Superman to hear that damn thing anywhere other than a quiet room. I'm seriously considering taking it back this coming week. Anyone know the return policy? I kinda miss my Curve.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

Return policy is 14 days at the Apple Store w/ a 10% restocking fee. If you can make a valid point, I have heard of them waiving the fee.

- Daerid

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wastegate:

That's the exact problem I have. I can't even begin to count the number of missed calls i've had since getting the iPhone. But, I must say that everything else the phone offers SOMEWHAT makes up for the lacking volume of the ringer. I don't use the iPod feature either, but I love everything else. I don't know what it is either, but to me it seems like Apple totally skimped out on the speaker/microphone deal. Just doesn't seem like something you should take a shortcut on.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Isn't it possible to replace the stock ringtones with new ones recorded at higher levels? I haven't tried this. But I thought I read that it worked.

Good luck

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yes, different ringtones can make a big difference, the stock ones aren't that loud. There is also a rumor that the 1.0.2 update increased the volume levels a bit, but I'm not sure if this was ever confirmed.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Didn't notice a difference myself. Playing the exact same file my BB is easily twice as loud. I have specific ringers that I use for specific callers so if my phone is across the room I know whether I should answer it or not. The vibrate feature in that case is useless.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevadadealers View Post
    Isn't it possible to replace the stock ringtones with new ones recorded at higher levels? I haven't tried this. But I thought I read that it worked.
    Yes it does work and you can make louder ringtones. Here's my method of ringtone manufacturing.

Here are the steps. This seems long but it's really simple once you get used to it. I can now make a new ringtone in about 2 minutes and that even includes all the converting you have to do.

My main computer runs Windows Vista but any windows will work.

1. Open Windows movie maker (no you're not gonna make a movie, just read on)

2. Import your audio by clicking, well, import audio.
    Once you have your audio in you just drag to the time line. now start moving the left and right borders untill you've found the perfect section (Clip) of your song. It should be about 15-30 seconds, I try not to make it too long or else I miss calls because I'm listening to the song

3. Now that you have your perfect clip let's make it louder. On the top left you see a menu item that says "Clip". Open that and go to audio then select volume. You can adjust your volume of the clip as loud or as quiet as you want. Just pay attention to the wave on the time line. If you get too loud the wave hits the top and bottom of the time line, that's called "Clipping" which means your audio will sound like crap. Try this out and you'll see that if you make a VERY VERY small increase on the volume it makes a HUGE difference on the end product. My ringtones are so loud they rival even Nextels loud as hell ringtones.

4. Publish movie (save movie for you XP users); This will save your movie as a WMA because you didn't install any video. The default name will be audio and the default location will be your video folder (just incase you've made it this far and lost it.)

5. iTunes. Of course WMA=Garbage to apple, so, open itunes, add file, and allow it to convert to aac or mp3. Don't forget to rename or you'll end up with 30 ringtones named audio.

6. Install in your phone (by now, you know how to do that )

7. Enjoy life. Now you'll be able to hear when your GF,BF, Husband or wife which means less fighting about what you were doing and why you didn't answer the phone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't think that making the ringtone louder is the issue, the speaker doesn't seem strong enough to play even my mp3s at a louder volume. It starts to distort as if it's blown.

Livin the iPhone Life iphonejeff's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adriankeith View Post
    I don't think that making the ringtone louder is the issue, the speaker doesn't seem strong enough to play even my mp3s at a louder volume. It starts to distort as if it's blown.
    dude I agree 1,000%!! I HATE THAT
    mod edit, old signature removed

My iPhone is a Part of Me LoringStudios's Avatar
    Thanks

The speaker can produce sounds very loud at the right freq. Add bass and it will sound distorted. Try upping the quality as above mentioned and bringing the levels up. Theres another tread I saw in here for adding more vibrations to calls while ringing too.
    My ringtone is pretty damn loud.
    Loring Studios Graphic Design Company | Serving the world, one cool job at a time.
    Graphic Design | Vehicle Wraps | Website Design | Large Format Printing

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah ,i set my ipod to bass reducer and make my ring tones highest quality poss.
    Last edited by jedinight; 08-26-2007 at 08:37 AM. Reason: mess upfat finger it

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah but I'm one of those kids who likes to use songs for my ringer and unless I use a program where I can go in and cut off a certain frequency to eliminate the bass this process doesn't really work. They are marginally louder but distorted beyond recognition.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LoringStudios View Post
    The speaker can produce sounds very loud at the right freq. Add bass and it will sound distorted. Try upping the quality as above mentioned and bringing the levels up. Theres another tread I saw in here for adding more vibrations to calls while ringing too.
    My ringtone is pretty damn loud.
    Exactly! Loring makes an excellent point that I forgot to mention. Using your EQ set your highpass filter to about 250hz @ 3db, if you don't know what that means or don't have the capablity go in and lower your bass on your eq for all frequencies below 250hz.

Quote Originally Posted by Wastegate13 View Post
    Yeah but I'm one of those kids who likes to use songs for my ringer and unless I use a program where I can go in and cut off a certain frequency to eliminate the bass this process doesn't really work. They are marginally louder but distorted beyond recognition.
    Yeah, you will have to get the software to lower the bass. You can get that pretty much anywhere online. You can even D/L a trial version off limewire and exploit a key if you need to.

As far as using songs it'll still sound good. Most of my ringtones are RAP music with heavy bass like Kayne West, Jay-Z, 2Pac, and Dreko. The iPhone audio reproduction is set to where it simulates low end frequencies to compensate for it's smaller, and let's be honest, crappy speakers.
    Now I'm not gonna lie, my Rock tracks do sound better. I now truely believe that bands like Mudvayne, Metallica, Godsmack and Gorillaz were originally designed to be ringtones