+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: enter if your an iPhone genius.

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
heres the scoop. i did a jailbreak using ZiPhone the other day, everything was cool. Today installer.app was crashing. I figured i needed to restore my iPhone and jailbreak it
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default enter if your an iPhone genius.
    heres the scoop. i did a jailbreak using ZiPhone the other day, everything was cool. Today installer.app was crashing. I figured i needed to restore my iPhone and jailbreak it again. I did a restore (im using fw 1.1.4) but after that itunes will not read my iphone. I tried putting it through DFU mode, but after it turns off it wont come back on even when i connect a usb. I had to put it on the charger and that worked. Any ideas on what could be wrong here?? thanks.

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

make sure when you are in DFU mode it is the black screen and not the connect to itunes screen when you restore. try to reboot the computer with the phone in a different USB plug and maybe just pwn your phone into 2.0 firmware( thats where all the action is at :] )
    dont panic since it can be fixed.
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pokekid View Post
    make sure when you are in DFU mode it is the black screen and not the connect to itunes screen when you restore. try to reboot the computer with the phone in a different USB plug and maybe just pwn your phone into 2.0 firmware( thats where all the action is at :] )
    dont panic since it can be fixed.
    let me make sure i am doing this correctly. to get it to dfu mode i hold down the power and home button for 7sec until the screen turns black. then after 2sec i release the power button. correct?? then what should the screen do ?? ok I'll try to reboot my computer. thanks for the info. i will let you know what i find out here in a bit.

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

after the phone turns off let go of the power and keep holding home until the computer recognizes it and itunes will show it as a DFU device. try a usb port on the back of the computer and see if it works. keep the phone plugged into the pc when you put it in dfu mode
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pokekid For This Useful Post:

jaredl (08-28-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

try connecting the iphone to a different computer. it may be that the iphone driver may have corrupted. If it works on another computer, then I suggest uninstalling the driver, and plugging the iphone in again, and it will re-install the driver

Green Apple
    Thanks

ok i rebooted my computer and itunes recognizes it now. whenever i tried to put it into dfu mode the screen stayed black, itunes still didnt do anything, and when i tried to turn the phone on it wouldnt. I held the power and home buttons for a bit and it finally turned on. I restored my phone and did jailbreak again. Now to my next problem, was installed.app crashing because i had too many apps ?? refreshing and downloading took forever too. I'll try to download less apps this time and see what happens. thanks for the help guys.

Thanks

Put in DFU
    Restore
    Use Pwnage/winpwn

Green Apple
    Thanks

the very first time i tried to download again it is taking forever to refresh the sources. the download circle thing is spinning at the top but the refresh sources bar at the bottom isnt.

Thanks

its sometimes hangs.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

there r loads of programs 4 both windows & osx that r way better than ZiPhone, iLiberty & (Win)pwnage 2 name a few.

Green Apple
    Thanks

well i originally was going to use winpwnage but i couldnt figure something out so i tried ZiPhone and got it to work the first time. How are those programs better ??? Another problem im having now that i have jailbroke my phone is the voicemail password box keeps poping up. I never had this issue before and i dont even think i ever set a password. I go to setting and tap change voicemail password but of course it asks me for my current one which i dont know. any help there ??

Thanks

winpwn and pwnage tool are safer to use as they are modifying the firmware not the hardware functions. Once the firmware is customized (by using winpwn), you shift click restore and find your new custom firmware and restore your phone. The phone itself isn't changed but the firmware is unlocked, activated and jailbroken. You can always go back to virginize your phone later on should you need to do so. Look at blog.iphone-dev.org to find all of the information.

Thanks

I seen this problem. You can search it using the search tool on the very top right of the webpage.
    If I helped you please hit the THANKS button

Green Apple
    Thanks

**update** ok i was syncing my phone but i had to stop. Now i plug it back in and itunes doesnt pick it up again grrr !!!! Does winpwn have all the same apps and what not ?? Its just a diffrent method of jailbreaking correct ??

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Iphone Geniuses?
    Man....
    there are so many Iphone Geniuses here.
    hehhehhehe

ain't it amazing how helpful everyone is..

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by koreanmasters99 View Post
    Man....
    there are so many Iphone Geniuses here.
    hehhehhehe

ain't it amazing how helpful everyone is..
    yeah actually. Ive had other problems that ive figured out just by using google, but i decided to join this forum because the search always showed results from here. Plus im not the greatest with computer type stuff.

Green Apple
    Thanks

another issue. Installer.app KEEPS crashing even if i dont have many apps. I plugged it into itunes and it wanted to upgrade the fw to 2.0.2 i believe it was, i clicked ok and it put my phone back to normal without jailbreak. No big deal since installer.app was broke. I tried re-jailbreaking it again and t just wouldnt do it. Is it because im using 2.0.2?? I tried holding shift / restore to downgrade back to 1.1.4 but i cannot find the fw anywhere. So i tried quickpwn. When the command prompt says its done it just stays there and my phone stays in dfu mode. I turn it on and nothing. Ive tried this 6 diffrent times incase i wasnt getting the buttons held down correctly but it always gets stuck on the same screen. So no im back to the boring old regular iphone. any ideas here ??