Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sideways camera....

Default Sideways camera....
    Just had a thought, if you turn the iPhone landscape while taking a photo and try and view it with the iPhone, you need to turn the phone to see the pic the right way, right? But the iPhone knows when its turned and rotates the image, so... see what im saying? The image would never show up the right way. "Hey, look at this picture I took on my new $499 iPhone, you need to turn your head to see it because of the sensors..."

How do apple fix that one?
    "Hey, I thought you said that guy was dead!"
    "No, what I said was he sleeps with the fishes"
    Windows is not a virus, viruses do something.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Nah, you can still view the photo either way. Just doesn't take up the whole screen if you're viewing it in regular mode, and when you turn it, it takes up the whole screen.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

I mean when you are taking the picture while holding your phone lanscape, and them when you try and view it, it would come up sideways, so you need to turn it, but if you do the iPhone turns the picture so its still sideways no matter which way you turn it... get it?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Its smarter than that. When you're TAKING a picture it shows it to you in Landscape mode. Then when you VIEW the image in regular mode, its just sideways:

until you turn it and it takes up the full screen:

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

I see the point... what the iPhone will have to do is sense (with the accelerometer) which orientation the iPhone is in when a snapshot is taken. Then, in the metadata of the photo it will set the correct orientation when the photo is displayed.

My Canon A530 has done this for a couple of years with the same kind of orientation sensor. When you view photos on the camera, turning the body switches the orientation for viewing automatically.

I would be very very surprised if Apple missed this detail... and even if they did, all they have to do is update the software to fix it.

Ahh... smart. I think my digital camera does something like this as well. Thanks for clearing this up for me.