Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wet iPhone Solution : )

Default Wet iPhone Solution : )
    Okay this is for all of you that have/will a wet iphone. I got pushed in the pool, destroying my iphone which shouldn't be replaced for free, but it was. The sensor was red in the jack, but with a little ingenuity, it can be white again.

I went to staples and bought a package of white circular labels (the ones for garage sales etc..) for $2. I went home and cut one to the size just big enough to fit in the headphone jack. I got a toothpick and pushed it gently down, to make sure the sticky was on the bottom and then pressed it down securely. Good as new.

Long story short, I went to the apple store about an hour and played ignorant that it just wouldn't turn on. The so-called-genius pulled out a medical light thing they use to look in ears with and put it in and said it's still white. He couldn't tell the difference. And then I walked out with a free phone, spent $2 and saved $250.

Hope this will help others in the future.

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

Hahahahaha....That's so wrong...but it's so RIGHT ! hahahaha

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

wow thats smart thinking on your behalf. you bamboozled the genius bar guys =]
    take care of it from now on and maybe groin kick whoever tries to throw you in the pool
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon

Soaked mine as well (washing machine) anything I can use the ruined for now?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

You still got lucky. Had a friend do same thing (knocked in pool). He took white-out to the sensor. After he was done it looked perfect, when the "genius" looked at it he pondered on it awhile, couldnt figure out why the phone was doing what it was and telling us it had to have gotten wet.

Then, he took a tiny screwdriver and scraped the bottom of the headphone jack scrubbing the white-out off. He assumed it was lint, however now seeing the pink sensor wouldnt replace the phone.

Yeah i know i was truly lucky, he wouldn't have been able to take it off though because it was stuck to the bottom. I thought about the whiteout, but i knew i couldn't get it as smooth as a sensor, you would see the strokes, and this look totally real.

My iPhone is a Part of Me BarcaMagic's Avatar
    Thanks

hahah i came acros something similar on youtube a while back ..

Looking back on this, is there any chance of me getting caught when they send it to hq to refurb it and see the sticker. Could they trace it back? Or they just forget about it.

Hahaha, similar story.

My iPhone's battery was dying (battery life was down to 3 hours, and charging took almost an entire day), but I still used it. I was on vacation in Austria visiting family and friends, when I jumped into a lake with the phone in my boardshorts.

I looked at the sensor, and saw that it was perfectly white EXCEPT for a 2-3 mm pink stripe on the edge. So... I was faced with the dilemma of how to fake it and save myself 250.

What I did was buy some cell phone humidity stickers on eBay. I made sure they were the 1/8th" or less size, and bought 5 of them. When they arrived I took a bamboo skewer (for shishkabobs etc), put some of that blue mounting putty used for posters and stuff, and put that on the flat end of the skewer. I put the dot on the skewer, with the adhesive side face up, and then carefully put that into the speaker jack. I pulled it out and...

The blue mounting putty got stuck. I then tried to scrape it out for nearly and hour, but almost nothing came out. So I just repeated the procedure, but with less than a square millimeter of mounting putty, squishing it flat and kneading it into the skewer so it'll stick, and then doing it again. Then I carefully twisted when I pulled the skewer out, and thankfully, the mounting putty stayed on the skewer. I took a trip to the Apple Store, the guy just took a peek inside with one of those ear things, said there was no sign of water damage, swapped it out, and then I reJB'ed and Unlocked it.

Then I decided to sell the unlocked 8GB on eBay (I got 450 for it), and then buy a white 3G.

I would have been pissed if someone pushed me in the pool haha

when i "fell" in the pool with my phone i took it in and the guy looked not in the headphone jack but in the charger jack (USB jack) and said that there was water damage. so i had to take it in again but this time i gave to and old guy with thivk glasses and he couldnt see anything. i got lucky and he replaced the iphone for me

Quote Originally Posted by 0wnd1zzl3d View Post
    Hahaha, similar story.

My iPhone's battery was dying (battery life was down to 3 hours, and charging took almost an entire day), but I still used it. I was on vacation in Austria visiting family and friends, when I jumped into a lake with the phone in my boardshorts.

I looked at the sensor, and saw that it was perfectly white EXCEPT for a 2-3 mm pink stripe on the edge. So... I was faced with the dilemma of how to fake it and save myself 250.

What I did was buy some cell phone humidity stickers on eBay. I made sure they were the 1/8th" or less size, and bought 5 of them. When they arrived I took a bamboo skewer (for shishkabobs etc), put some of that blue mounting putty used for posters and stuff, and put that on the flat end of the skewer. I put the dot on the skewer, with the adhesive side face up, and then carefully put that into the speaker jack. I pulled it out and...

The blue mounting putty got stuck. I then tried to scrape it out for nearly and hour, but almost nothing came out. So I just repeated the procedure, but with less than a square millimeter of mounting putty, squishing it flat and kneading it into the skewer so it'll stick, and then doing it again. Then I carefully twisted when I pulled the skewer out, and thankfully, the mounting putty stayed on the skewer. I took a trip to the Apple Store, the guy just took a peek inside with one of those ear things, said there was no sign of water damage, swapped it out, and then I reJB'ed and Unlocked it.

Then I decided to sell the unlocked 8GB on eBay (I got 450 for it), and then buy a white 3G.

yeah I didn't go so far as to buy humidity stickers, i just made my own. The new one given to me is 1.1.4 so it is unlockable, but I'd rather not sell it because I bought the extended warranty and wouldn't like to lose that. And i don't want to have to pay the extra fees for 3g.

I bought the actual stickers since I didn't think they'd fall for anything else, but I guess I was wrong. It doesn't really matter since they were only $10, and the guy emailed us later and said that he wanted to know how it would work with an iPhone and that he would refund us if we took some pictures. We made a full instructional video and lots of pictures, and got a refund. I might put the video on YouTube sometime...

wow, you lucked out. ill remember this one