Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How can I change my root password to secure my iphone from SSH Hacking?

Question How can I change my root password to secure my iphone from SSH Hacking?
    So,
    I am new to the tech world and I have been excited to learn new things with the iphone and how to mod it.
    I have a 1st gen iPhone that i Pwned w/ 2.0.1 Firmware
    I recently learned how to use ssh to try to delete "lockbackground.jpg" so that my lockscreen background would change.

My concern is this:

I noticed that its fairly easy to SSH into the iphone simply using the IP adress that is assigned to it since the password and login are the same Root/ Alpine.
    I am worried now that someone will try to SSH into my phone and try to retrieve info. Basically someone knows my ip address now and they are VERY familiar with SSH and I wouldnt put it past them to try to hack into my phone to try to retrieve whatever information they can obtain, SMS Phonebook, mail, etc.

I have a passcode lock on my phone so im not sure if that would help. I also know that most network connections freeze when the phone screen is locked, or so I think. Regardless, I feel the only way to protect myself would be to change my root password.

So tell me all you smarties... what the hell should I do or am I being paranoid.

Thanks

Guide: Short and Sweet SSH Guide for the iPhone
    On Mac, just type in "ssh root@IPADDRESS" without the quotes. Accept any authentication requests that pop up. Type in "dottie" as the password when prompted.

On Windows, enter in the IP Address into the "Host Name (or IP Address)" in putty and hit Open. Accept any authentication dialogues that pop up. Log in as "root" when prompted, with the password "dottie".

Changing your password:
    If you enable SSH on your phone, you should change the password from "dottie" as soon as possible, otherwise people can easily get into your phone and find out what horrible, horrible taste in music you have.

Just log in to your iPhone, then type "passwd". You'll be prompted to enter in the new password. Thanks Premek, I didn't know it was installed!
    This is done via the command line. Alpine instead of dottie.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 461am For This Useful Post:

mjneil.81 (12-12-2009)

Your just paranoid. Na. just kidding.

To change your root password here is what you do.
    * type -
    Code:
    ssh [email protected]
    * type -
    Code:
    alpine
    (now to change it)
    *type -
    Code:
    passwd
    You will then be prompted to enter your new password. You will have to enter it twice.
    Thats it. Now you have a new password for "root".

Now for an extra bit of security. Change the mobile password. Basically the same steps as above except rather than root you will use mobile.
    * type -
    Code:
    ssh [email protected]
    * type -
    Code:
    alpine
    (now to change it)
    *type -
    Code:
    passwd
    This time you will be asked to enter the old password. Type in
    Code:
    alpine
    again. Now you will be prompted to enter your new password. Do that and your done.
    Now you have a new password for "mobile"
    Last edited by phoenix.stu; 08-22-2008 at 08:21 PM.

or you can just turn ssh off using Boss Prefs.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What you do not have your WIFI secrured.

I do not think that was the point of the question.

thank you everyone!!!! Very helpful. Having fun with ssh.
    I appreciate the knowledge!