Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help. Crazy iPhone Restore Question... Is my phone an expensive brick?

Default Help. Crazy iPhone Restore Question... Is my phone an expensive brick?
    So here's the situation. I have a first gen iPhone that has been jailbroken and unlocked on 2.0. I'm running iTunes 7.7.1 on Mac.

The phone is not recognized when plugged into the wall charger or USB direct into the computer (no access to sync to iTunes). The weird part is the car charger works to charge my phone.

I've tried Recovery Mode multiple times and have been unsuccessful because the USB does not recognize the phone.

My ultimate goal is to Restore the phone but am at a loss since connecting to iTunes doesn't seem to be an option for me.

Is this a problem with the pins on the bottom of the phone that connect to the USB? If so, how does the car charger work?

Any help or suggestions to restore my phone is more than appreciated. If i can get it back to normal, there is a replacement phone waiting for me. I'll take any suggestions.

Thanks!

Use DFU mode to restore, there are several easy to follow guides, on Windows I go by the device connect/disconnect sound, but the easiest way seems to be as follows:

1. Hold power for 5 seconds
    2. Hold start holding home for 10 seconds (DO NOT LET GO OF POWER)
    3. Let go of power and continue holding home until iTunes recognizes it (most guides say for 30 seconds but it usually works after 15 for me, if it doesnt you messed up, try again, it usually takes several tries.)

iTunes should restore however you will lose your unlock and jailbreak so be prepared to redo that. Btw why are you wanting to restore, from your post it appears to be working, just not recognized by iTunes, in which case it is probly an issue on the Mac, if possible try a different one or as a last ditch use Windows and use the device connect sound trick to restore or see if its just your box.

EDIT: If it works please hit thanks

I tryed DFU with no luck. Actually tried on PC and Mac just to see if that made a difference. I'm looking to get it to restore so I can warranty it through a friend. Unfortunatley, they can't take it back when it's jailbroken.

I found that if you let Itunes open without your phone in DFU mode and then close Itunes but leave you phone connected and then put it into DFU mode it works. I had the same issues and I put my phone into DFU mode by holding the power and home button down together until the power off slide came on and then I counted to three and released the power button but didn't let go of the home button until Itunes reopened. Then it just restored it using firmware I downloaded from here and it worked. Just hold down the shift button and click restore to access whatever folder you place your download in. This should work for you.

If I helped you please hit the thanks button!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cardfelon For This Useful Post:

091472 (08-25-2008)

I'm so lost
    Unlocked 1 Generation iPhone
    Using T-Mobile service
    1.1.4 version