+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Firmware 2.0.2 IS TRASH!!! DON'T UPGRADE!

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
This is a heads up to all of those who are wondering if it's worth updating the iPhone to firmware v2.0.2 This will NOT fix the 3G problems... As a
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Firmware 2.0.2 IS TRASH!!! DON'T UPGRADE!
    This is a heads up to all of those who are wondering if it's worth updating the iPhone to firmware v2.0.2

This will NOT fix the 3G problems... As a matter of fact, chances are it will make it your 3G connection WORSE!

The phone is less stable, it randomly crashed 4 times on me and not all the Cydia apps work on it anymore

Don't take my word on it, many are reporting these problems and if you're the curious type who likes upgrading for the hell of it, you've been warned!

Apple should release beta versions of its updates to prevent such atrocities... This is the first time I regret upgrading my iPhone.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lebsoljah For This Useful Post:

Rulli (08-20-2008), SLapp (08-19-2008), WiiRoxsMySoxs (08-19-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone SLapp's Avatar
    Thanks

thanks for the tip Wont Upgrade now

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SLapp For This Useful Post:

lebsoljah (08-19-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

you should wait until the devs okay it before any future upgrades, 2.0.2 just came out and its clear any future upgrades will conflict with jailbroken iphones, so before you upgrade always check first

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I absolutely agree with you bro I updated last night to latest firmware 2.0.2 it seemed as if it made my 3G connection worse especially today in the city very slow and non responsive I really haven't expirenced any crashing yet but I would really like to know the purpose for the update cause it doesn't do ****. Apple should allow users to test beta versions of firmware like 2.1 I am really looking to see if I can get hold of it

7. The Following User Says Thank You to joeygq69 For This Useful Post:

lebsoljah (08-19-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

umm 2.0.2 breaks all cydia apps like 2.0.1 did before the pwnage update. this is very annoying though, im bout to trade my phone in for the bold
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon

Thanks

Well I have a 3G, and upgraded to 2.0.2, then used the quickpwn method to jailbreak it. I've had no issues with apps not working/crashing. My 3G reception has NOT gotten better (or worse) either.

As a matter of fact, just what the F**k was changed in this upgrade? I haven't noticed a thing! Damn you apple and your "bug fixes"!

Thanks

wow, everyone seems to be having problems with the 3g, I am glad i have the OG of the iphone, no problems here! sorry to hear, though

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

how do you actually downgrade to 2.0.1 if we have already upgraded to 2.0.2?

Thanks

gee. I did the upgrade and all my Cydia apps work just fine. I have a bit better 3g and my wifi is definitely better. It also seensto be slightly better at switching from 3g to edge and from 3g to wifi.
    My keyboard is quicker than I am.
    Maps locates me faster.

After upgrading 2 different 3g phones. They both seem improved. However the process went very differently doing the same thing.

My feeling is after almost a year of modding iPhones and a year of modding Motos before that is different people will always have different results. I'm only good at reading and learning through just doing I'm no expert on the intricacies of hardware and software, but I know from running the same OS on multiple systems, there are always some differences. Xp isn't xp and vista isn't always vista. The individual system configurations I think might make a difference. I know with the two vista systems in my house wehave very different experiences on otherwise very similar setups. The only difference between the two is one is set to run on a limited user account ( my14 year old's of). The other vista of is my 18 year old's. He runs with user accounts off. Both are vista home premium. I know installing or running anything on my 14 year old's system is a PITA. I gave him my old 2g iPhone and we restore and repwned it first. I wanted to do it on his system so he can maintain it himself going forward but even running winpwn as administrator did not work well. Problem is that so many programs require one to be logged on as full administrator to install and do not give an option to run from the user account. Some can be run from the user account but as administrator. In the case if restoring and running programs like winpwn or quickpwn, ifound that there was a problem even accessing the locations of the ipsw files. Probably due to inconsistencies in how the related programs were installed in the first place. This could be partly behind the issues some folks are having with upgrades, etc.

On the other hand my 18 year old's pc with no user accounts set up no problems. It will bs intersting to see how it will be going forward. He leaves tomorrow for college and now has it set up for password access via a user account.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

Grassmasta (08-21-2008)

Thanks

3G 2.0.2 is running great for me. I haven't notice a reception difference, or speed difference with 3G as I haven't done any speed tests. However, I can say push mail is snappier than before. On earlier releases, it wasn't as instant, almost 30-60 seconds.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I used the quickpwn method to jailbreak 2.0.2 also, I noticed 3g reception isn't a lot better but i can get a 3g signal where i usually only had edge available, also with 2.0.1 my 3g speed was so bad that i had 7 kbs or 18 kbs most of the time in some areas. now i can get about 75-120kbs most of the time.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

Must be the minority, I upgraded to 2.0.2 on my first gen and managed to get Cydia AND Installer working fine, all apps work fine too.
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

Green Apple
    Thanks

one weird thing happened once i upgraded to 2.0.2 and used quickpwn, I could refresh any sources from my Installer or Cydia using 3g, once i got my wifi connected my sources refreshed just fine and updated both, now no problem at all except for a 200megs on "other" that i don't know how to remove.

Thanks

safari is pretty unstable in this version.. Crashes a lot whwn entering text. SMS can be very slow on startup of even crashes now and then.

iPhone? More like MyPhone vinodis's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe the app crashes are due to the soft-update method. Just me speculating.

Thanks

I think it has something to do with winterboard or the themes I had on. I was using the abstract(for icons), illuminate(for cycling backgrounds), rainbow battery, MacBook air keyboard and voice reminders themes. I disabled these themes and phone runs a WHOLE LOT smoother. Not sure if it's the app itself, one particular theme or a combination of themes but they did intact slow down my phone. I'll start testing each theme later to find which one was the culprit, but fir now I'll just leave em off and see if it solves my safari and SMS crashing.

One indication was that my apps weren't closing smoothly. The icons didn't flood fluidly back onto the springboard like they should when you hit the home button. They just appeared there like when you crash out of an app. After disabling the themes that fixed that.
    Last edited by reznor9; 08-20-2008 at 12:39 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Formatted the phone with a new 2.0.2 install

The problems persist

Thanks

For me, 2.0.2 got rid of the contact lagging, SMS keyboard lag. 3G seems to be the same but I'm not certain if there is any change...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    I think it has something to do with winterboard or the themes I had on. I was using the abstract(for icons), illuminate(for cycling backgrounds), rainbow battery, MacBook air keyboard and voice reminders themes. I disabled these themes and phone runs a WHOLE LOT smoother. Not sure if it's the app itself, one particular theme or a combination of themes but they did intact slow down my phone. I'll start testing each theme later to find which one was the culprit, but fir now I'll just leave em off and see if it solves my safari and SMS crashing.

One indication was that my apps weren't closing smoothly. The icons didn't flood fluidly back onto the springboard like they should when you hit the home button. They just appeared there like when you crash out of an app. After disabling the themes that fixed that.
    its def the winterboard themes that slow down the phone. I deleted everything i didnt need (especially the keyboard hacks). All I have is the monochrome theme, digi signal bars, and the user wallpaper. now my phone is running great on 2.0.1. dont see the need to go to 2.0.2 yet.

----------------
    Now playing: Chaka Demus And Pliers - Murder She Wrote

iPhone? More like MyPhone chris52204's Avatar
    Thanks

My issues include...the spacebar on the keyboard seems to be "higher" I would normally hit the bottom of it to push it but I have to hit the top now. My phone doesn't show my texts when I get them. I have to unlock my phone to check now. My reception has not improved...it's exactly the same. The screen that pops up when I get a text message stays on the spring board until I tap the text message then it finally goes away. When i add a mail account the damn "exchange" server settings keeps popping up and I have to hit cancel like 15 times in order to back out. I can not add another email account. THE ONLY BENEFIT THAT CAME WITH THE UPGRADE IS IT KEPT ALL APPLICATIONS AND PHONE BOOK ENTRIES AND EVERYTHING A NORMAL IPHONE HAS AND OF COURSE....THE DOWNFALL....I LOST ALL CYDIA AND INSATLLER APPLICATIONS I HAD INSTALLED. 2.0.2 is a joke. I would stay at 2.0.1 till they eventually release 2.0.3 to fix all of 2.0.2 issues that exist.
    If you like what I said....Hit thanks
    If you don't like what I said....Hit thanks anyways