Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Fears

Default iPhone Fears
    Hello.

The iPhone is indeed amazing.. I'm worried that if I buy the iPhone as soon as it comes out, 3 months later apple will release an iPhone twice that of the current one that has more features and capabilities and then that would really stink. Anyone else have this fear? Would you be able to get your phone upgraded if a new one comes out?

What do you think?
    Steve
    I hate windows..

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

The Apple way is just like that. I bought My MacBook Pro less than a year ago, and since then they have upgraded the processor three times, and the screens are so much better now. Innovation is better than idle hands.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

thats the only thing i actually hate about apple.
    I hate windows..

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Well it sure beats the alternative. A company releases a product, and there are no updates for five years....

not according to this http://www.pocketpicks.co.uk/latest/...ation-iphones/

the iPhone to be released must be with at&t for five years. Doesnt mean they cant make another version of the iPhone during that time. I don't like that lol
    Last edited by Stephenstudios; 06-22-2007 at 02:10 PM.
    I hate windows..

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Well we know for a fact that the European version will be released in the winter... so you never know.

My bet is that's the euro version. Steve, you just have to weigh the options in your own mind: is the current iteration of a product so completely irresistible to you that you must have it the moment that it comes out - or - do you bide your time hoping that the next gen has enough new/better features to make it worth the wait?

My experience with consumer electronics and computers has seen many products come to market and get improved quickly while sometimes a product is actually NOT as good in its follow-up version. I have always bought older generation products for this very reason so I could see if there really was an improvement... if not, I'd pickup the older version for a great deal.

My plan with the iPhone though (99.9% sure at this point) is that I will buy it on launch day provided I can find one. If, 3 months down the road they come out with a 30BG model with GPS and 3G... and I decide I have to have those features, then I'll buy the new one and put my 3 month old gently used 'original' model on eBay.

I completely doubt this will happen though.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Yup, agreed.

I'll see by late july if the iPhone ends up being as great as is expected. Then decide form there if it's something I want/need.
    I hate windows..

Apple is expensive for a reason, and have you checked the prices for used or retired Mac models? Even iPods. Typically they run almost as much as the newer units... which I find understandable and confusing at the same time.

People value them because they are designed so well. And there are problems that have come up in the past. The difference with the iPhone I think (and I hope!) is that they know how much of their company's image and reputation is riding on this product being a huge success.

Remember - they had a fully working unit 5 months ago for MacWorld. It has been reported that they've put at least double the time testing the iPhone as compared with other phone mfrs. Also, they postponed the final development and release of Leopard so they could concentrate fully on the iPhone.

To me, these are all pretty solid indicators that we won't be anywhere close to disappointed on the 29th.

Makes a lot sense, as this is an emerging technology with a version one release. As consumers discover & report their likes & dislikes, engineering will respond with the improvements.

It's also reasonable to assume that some innovations did not develop in time for the projected release date, & that an optimized version is planned.

They'll probably bank on this one though, as long as the competition isn't hot on their heels.
    http://www.modmymoto.com/forums/image.php?u=73728&dateline=1180451458

Well, there is no competition hot on their heels as of now, and this is definitely Apples' new money maker for sure.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It isn't a fear for me, it's a fact.

I am waiting for version 2 of the iPhone because 1, it will be much much better 2, I don't feel like playing the "Wii" game all over again when 3 months later they might have MMS and IM support.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Well the good part about the iPhone is that all those things can be updated via OTA updates. Its rumored that the 3G hardware is already there, and the only thing that is needed to activate it (if its not already active as of launch) is a firmware update. Same thing for MMS support, IM, M$ Office doc editing, etc--you're running OS X on this phone, so all you have to do is say yes to Apple's OTA update when it appears on your phone, and BOOM, there it is.

I dont understand why people don't realise what an Apple OTA update can do for iPhone. IT RUNS OSX!!! Anything that is updated in the software side of the phone in later versions can EASILY be put onto iPhone 1.0

yes that's true. But who knows, maybe iPhone 2 will have an intel chip in it or something, or bigger screen or better screen resolution. You cant get that with a software update.
    I hate windows..

I'm only talking software updates, not hardware. Plus it has a 160 ppi display, thats going to be as good as it gets for some time i'm sure.