View Poll Results: Do you get worse reception on you 2G with the 2.0 updates?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do.

12 48.00%
  • No I don't.

6 24.00%
  • Haven't noticed.

4 16.00%
  • Not sure.

3 12.00%
+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2G Reception worse ?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
    My iPhone is a Part of Me E-Dragon's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 2G Reception worse ?
    Ok maybe itís just me, but it seems that my 2G phone even gets worse
    reception now with this last updates, in wi-fi and signal strength... (running AT&T and 2.0.1)

Anyone else?
    Last edited by E-Dragon; 08-17-2008 at 09:03 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

yes edge sucks even worse, as if that were foreseen.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

Not Edge alone... I'm Dropping calls in places I normally would of just had a week signal
    Last edited by E-Dragon; 08-17-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Thanks

I don't know if 2.0.1 gets worse reception yet. In Austin, the reception was strong and always has been, but I upgraded just before going on travel. I am in Tucson now and both 2G & 3G reception is pretty weak.

Talked to AT&T support and they said I was in a prime coverage area and should be getting max reception. Restarted phone (again), no help.

Talked with Apple support and they suggested I restart... no help (again). "Tried to restore?". Don't have my computer with me and not going to do that while on the road anyway, risking no phone service at all. Besides, the plane trip home would be pretty grim without my favorite entertainment in hand.

Saw on the MMI news page the report of 3G reception issues with the chipset/software. Wonder if this might also affect the 2G reception.

BTW,
    Noticed that my iPhone gets pretty warm in my pocket with lower bars on 2G. I guess the power is getting pushed up to try for better signal, causing the battery to heat up a bit.
    There are 10 types of people in the world...
    ...those that understand binary and those that have friends.

iMac (2.8 GHz, 4GB, OS X 10.5.8) | iPhone 3G (16GB, White)
    | iPod Touch 8GB

iPhone? More like MyPhone The Punisher's Avatar
    Thanks

Prior to 2.0.x updates i always had full bars in my house no matter where i was. Ever since upgrading to 2.0.x i only get 2-3 bars most of the time.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rvlyssup's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple's attempt to probably "fix" the weak 3G signals on 2.0.1 made it slightly better for some of us 2G owners. I know that 2.0 sucked as I was getting "no service" to 1 -2 bars. I was hoping for better reception on 2.0.1.

My wife's "stock" iPhone when initially upgraded to 2.0.1 seemed to be holding up and mostly on 5 bars for about 2 -3 days. Then it is back down to mostly 1 - 3 bars. My WinPwnd 4 GB on 2.0.1 is also mostly on 1 - 3 bars compared to my WinPwnd 1.1.4 FW 8GB which is mostly on 5 bars.

Hopefully the software fix will deal with all the reception problems for all iPhone owners.

Patience is virtue I guess...
    Last edited by rvlyssup; 08-17-2008 at 06:40 PM.
    My Week 51 8Gig is "retired", currently using i580 on Boost Mobile. Yeah, I miss my i...
    Wifey's - 8GB 3G unlocked & jailbroken using blacksn0w, GO GEO!
    Also retired Week 29 4 GiG on 3.1 custom firmware & originally Unlocked & JB via WinPwn.
    Unbranded & Unlocked Custom WM6 Cingy 8125, R.I.P Cingy 8525 (WSOD)
    BB Bold, Miami Ink v3, v235, & an mpx220, all unlocked!

Thanks

Well at least I know I'm not the only one, I hope they even work on this issue (with the 2G) and get this resolved soon

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

you sure are not the only one E Dragon, I am in the uk on vodafone on a 2g I had a weak signal when unlocked, so restored and upgraded to 1.1.4 this worked fine for a couple of months now I am back to a very weak signal even though I only live 100 yds from a vodafone tower, the signal gets stronger when the fone is put in the dock and does not even have to be connected to the usb, very strange, and not a lot of good as a mobile, are we sure this can be fixed at some point?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nairny View Post
    you sure are not the only one E Dragon, I am in the uk on vodafone on a 2g I had a weak signal when unlocked, so restored and upgraded to 1.1.4 this worked fine for a couple of months now I am back to a very weak signal even though I only live 100 yds from a vodafone tower, the signal gets stronger when the fone is put in the dock and does not even have to be connected to the usb, very strange, and not a lot of good as a mobile, are we sure this can be fixed at some point?
    I would say yes, after all, all of with problems at one time didn't have them. So I wouldn't say it was a hardware issue...
    LOL! but you never know, it could be Apple's way of getting all us to chuck our 1G & 2G's and buy their new 3G

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E-Dragon View Post
    I would say yes, after all, all of with problems at one time didn't have them. So I wouldn't say it was a hardware issue...
    LOL! but you never know, it could be Apple's way of getting all us to chuck our 1G & 2G's and buy their new 3G
    just to let you know, theres no 1G or 2G or 3G. its only G1 and G2(which is the one with the 3G network)

from the desk of safinator

Jailbreakin since 1.1.1
    man i wish we could just download the jailbreak from safari just like back in the day.

update: comex has answered my wish.

custom setup:
    Asus m3n78 PRO
    AMD Phenom Quad-core 3.2GHz
    EVGA GTX 260 core 216 processors
    4GB G.Skill RAM
    HDDVD BLU-Ray DVD drive
    150GB Raptor X(has window to see disc)
    500GB WD HD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by safinator View Post
    just to let you know, theres no 1G or 2G or 3G. its only G1 and G2(which is the one with the 3G network)

from the desk of safinator
    The release of the 4 gig is considered by some the first gen and then the 4 gig and 8 gig together was the second gen and the 8gig and 16gig as the 3rd gen. Even tho there were not any MAJOR mechanical changes done to the phone till they added 3g networking and the "3G" is referring to the network. Apple has not called it a 3rd generation as a matter of fact they actually refer to the other phones as first gen when comparing the network speeds. So yes technically you are correct..
    Last edited by E-Dragon; 12-23-2008 at 08:34 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Nope,

Thanks

Yep, unless Apple is wrong...

Thanks

I noticed on 2.1 (the first of the 2.x firmwares I was on) it was lower for me, and it seems to be better on 2.2 now... I don't recall exactly how it was on 1.1.x, but it was definitely comparable to 2.2.
    Respect your elders.