+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: E-mail notification on iPhone 3G

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Does anyone know if the iPhone 3G has e-mail notification features? I setup my gmail account on my phone and it'll indicated the number of unread msg in red in
    msg
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default E-mail notification on iPhone 3G
    Does anyone know if the iPhone 3G has e-mail notification features? I setup my gmail account on my phone and it'll indicated the number of unread msg in red in the top corner of the gmail icon. What I want to know is if I received a new e-mail, can I set it so that the phone will ring/virbrate to notify me? or do I just have to keep checking throughout the day?

Thanks

Thanks

If you have push enabled, (ie. you're using mobileme, or exchange) then your phone will buzz if when it's unlocked, and if the email is recieved while the phone screen is off, it'll buzz as soon as you turn it on.

Since you're using gmail, you'll still have to manually check for emails, or if you have a bit of time on your hand, you could try this to achieve push capabilities.
    Last edited by 461am; 08-13-2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: added link.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 461am For This Useful Post:

msg (08-14-2008)

Thanks

the phone does make a sound and vibrate when you recieve an e-mail, it makes the apple "new mail" sound and vibrates briefly.

if you want to change the tone to one that you can hear better, make a .caf tone, name it new-mail.caf and put it in System/Library/Audio/UISounds and replace new-mail.caf.

restart your phone, and every time you get an e-mail it will play that tone.

REMEMBER to back up the original new-mail.caf file in case you want to revert back
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

5. The Following User Says Thank You to reeko For This Useful Post:

msg (08-14-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Sorry to bump the old *** thread, but I found it through google. Just wanted to make sure I had in fact found the right file before messing with it. Any reason to edit the sounds.strings file for this one? Like they way you do if you want to change an SMS tone, and put a custom title for it in the list of available SMS tones (like this)?

Also, true push works with gmail now.

Google Sync on your mobile phone

just in case anyone hasn't gotten the news yet.
    Last edited by L00i3; 09-24-2009 at 11:53 AM.