Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Echo problem in iPhone

Default Echo problem in iPhone
    I have seen lot of posts about this echo problem but not clear solution. I tried everything from decreasing the volume etc etc but nothing achieved. Did everyone leave it because they accepted it as given and started living with it. Please let me know what can be done.

Thanks

I notice this happens to me most if I am sitting very near a computer.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Same here......... WTF

Smile Iphone & echo
    I had problems with the echo for a few months and now it's fixed.

It seems when the speaker part gets clogged with dirt or if you cover the speaker area with your fingers while holding the iphone, there's echo.

First I tried to use the iphone without touching the speaker and it helped with echo. But when I cleaned each hole of the speaker with a pin, it really made the huge difference.

Now the echo is gone. I went to AT&T and they gave me a new sim card which made no difference what so ever.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

canned air

Default iphone echo problem
    I bought an iphone one month ago, and callers hear an echo. Not every call but probably 60% of callers could hear echo. Not a little echo, but so bad they would hang up. After complaining to AT&T they changed SIM card, no luck, they reset network, no luck, finally I demanded they replace my phone, no luck, so AT&T said to hang in there and problem should be fixed in next couple of weeks. Im not very happy with this solution. I have an otter box on my phone for protection, and after trying many things I noticed that if I pulled the cover off the plug in charge port next to the speakers, the echo does not seem to be a problem. 2 hrs without an echo, hopefully this solves this problem.

Were you able to fix this issue? I think you have the same problem as me. Anyone who calls me can hear their own voice (echo). If you resolved it...please tell me.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 10,185 Times in 6,202 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    canned air
    Is that anything like hot ice? roflmao

I use my sons shop vac.

Was having the same issues...here my reply on a different thread i created...ill keep you guys posted...

So... as of now, reading through all I can using Mr. Google, it is confirmed this is a hardware issue. The way many people resolved this issue was to lower the volume 3-4 clicks while talking on the handset, then the person on the other side will not have an Echo. BUT, that didn't work for me.

Next theory that has solved this issue for many people was to open the bottom back (black portion) of the 2g iphone and remove a tape. I will try this when I get home and post if that works. Here is the youtube clip that person posted for people with similar issues. It generally shows how to open the iphone, but we need to remove a tape located behind the black portion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1z0p...layer_embedded

hope it works (fingers crossed!)
    Last edited by kashvii; 04-22-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Default cydia iphone echo
    I have had an echo on my phone where the person on the other line would hear themselves echo. I reinstalled and unlocked the phone without installing cydia or even restoring any of my old data. The phone worked normally. I redid the install with cydia and the echo came back. I redid the phone without cydia and the echo went away. And i tested it again and it replicated as so. Now I am restoring all my contacts without cydia being installed. ..... .. Works perfectly fine without echo without Cydia installed. So make sure you have the latest cydia (i didnt check that) and if you do and it still happens... remove cydia.

caller for me only hear an echo on speakerphone... anyone dealt with that?
    Don't forget to say THANKS!

J.D.

Default Iphone echo
    I had this same problem.

I have an iPhone 2G, and recently upgraded to the latest 3.0 software (also, I'm on a mac). I used Pwnage tool to unlock and jailbreak, installed Cydia like normal, and run my phone service through Cincinnati Bell.

I started getting the echo while still using 2.2.1, so I thought an upgrade to 3.0 would fix it. This is when the echo began. It was only audible to the caller, not me, and it was a good 1-1.5 sec delay after the caller would speak that he would hear his echo. Very frustrating for the calller, so much so people didn't want to call me.

I followed up on the advice given a few posts ago on this same thread about Cydia being the problem; so I restored my iphone, left off Cydia, and then backed my phone up from my previous data backup. Still got an echo.

After all this, I've found that the echo is happening internally with the phone. As the volume of the caller's voice increases in the earpiece, the louder the echo. It seems their voice is being received by the iphone's speaker and then sent back. I'm going to try cleaning the speaker holes and will post my results.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with software, just the mechanics of the phone itself.

AH.....finally. I fixed the echo.

It seems over time dust and debris can clog up the speaker holes on the bottom of the iphone, this causes "feedback" so to speak. The other person is basically hearing their own voice taken in by the clogged iPhone's receiver and then sent back out through the microphone. I'm not sure why (I don't know a lot about the inner workings of the iPhone, but I do know about sound and PA systems). This is why there's a sec or so delay on the echo, and why the iPhone user doesn't experience an echo (your voice is going into the iPhone only once, through the mic, and is sent to the caller).

I took a stitch remover (it has a very small, curved, and thin blade) and a very small needle (with a head for thread) and I cleaned out each hole on the bottom of the iPhone. If you're going to do this be aware you may scratch up the speaker holes (I did, but I don't really care what my speaker holes look like as long as they work).

After the holes were clean, there was no more internal "feedback" and therefore no more echo.

Try this before you do anything to your phone or begin a lengthly process with MAC or ATT.
    Last edited by Ryannoga; 07-23-2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I had this back on my old 2G with one of the firmwares but a restore to an upgraded firmware fixed it. I do seem to have been experiencing this on my new 3GS. Seems to happen only when I'm sitting at my computer. My solution is to move away from the desk a bit. Also my echo is that I hear my own voice echo. Not sure if the person on the other end hears it or not as both times were "business" related and they person didnt say anything abut it and by my moving position, made the echo stop.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

I had a bad echo with everyphone call and could only fix it by placing to small bits of plastic (I cut them off a plastic file divider) and covered the small microphone on top of the phone near the headphone jack. This has also improved the clarity of my phone calls

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Is that anything like hot ice? roflmao

I use my sons shop vac.

Wow... seriously???? Canned air also known as compressed air is a common tool in electronics stores.....

Thanks
    Thanked 10,185 Times in 6,202 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmbynum90 View Post
    Wow... seriously???? Canned air also known as compressed air is a common tool in electronics stores.....
    It was meant as a joke, also this thread is almost 3 years old. lol
    Awesome first post.....

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Hmmm very odd