Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: clear "other" in iphone memory

Default clear "other" in iphone memory
    in itunes it shows the capacity of how much each specific format uses (audio vedio & other) but what is "Other" which is colored "Orange" becuase It is using over 200+Mbs. And even after i restore my iphone this 200mb is not cleared. can anyone tell me how to delete "other"

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

u jailbroke??

if so what you can do is ssh in to your phone/touch and delete cydia, installer, customize and all the other apps. That should help clear out your other data
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

ya i jailbroke, unloked & activated with the ziphone twice but even after i restore 200mb is occupied by "others". There are no apps in my iphone after i restored. plz tell me how to shh & delete apps.

Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

200MB is about normal, everytime i restore to 2.0.1 it has around that

but is der any way we can free tht space

I have about 2.7 gbs of "other"... I feel like it has to do with music I had on my iphone before i updated the software/re-jailbroke and re-unlocked it...

iPhone? More like MyPhone apummell's Avatar
    Thanks

its the O/S it has to be there...

Its most likely a mixture of things.
    Temporary Internet Files
    Contact Info
    Application Saved Data (saved games etc)
    Email Storage
    SMS Storage
    Cookies
    Album Arts
    Etc

Quote Originally Posted by dejawoo View Post
    Its most likely a mixture of things.
    Though can anyone confirm what it really is? Cause even after restoring my iphone, having no apps, no internet usage, no messages, nothing but just emails and contacts, i doubt that would be taking up 280mb of unclassified files.

Quit yer complaining - my Other is 7.34GB in size. Yep GIGAbytes. Love having almost half my phone tied up with crap. Any thoughts on how to find this?

I may be wrong but isn't this due to when connecting your phone to iTunes for the first time after JBing it and selecting the option "restore from back up" rather than "add new phone". I thought I read somewhere on these forums that doing the restore from backup option makes you loose a couple hundred megs every time you do it. Like I said I may be wrong but I read something like that at some point here. If you didnt do the restore from back up then Im not sure.. Im interested to know if you did though.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Thanks

Think about the size of the .ipsw file you used to give your phone some sort of operating system.... its about 230MB.... kinda similar to that 'other' in iTunes... Fishy

as for the guy with 7GB of 'other', The stuff you download from Cydia, Cycorder videos, dTunes songs, Themes.... all that stuff comes up as 'other' also, so that might be your culprit.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish

Wig I had the same problem. I had almost 5gs of "other". The only thing you can do is so a complete restore of your iPhone through iTunes. Make sure you sync/backup your phone before you do this. If you have any vids or other data you should ssh and save those files to your pc as well. Doing a complete restore is a *****, but it acctually seemed to make my phone run better after I got rid of all the bs I really hadn't been using. Some say these large amounts of "other" are caused by unconnecting your iPhone in the middle of syncing it. I don't know. All I do know is that the restore restored me back to the normal 200-300mbs.

on my iphone 4 just ssh in /private/var/spool/mdt and delete the file inside the mdt. Befor i delete i have 9.8 gb of other after i have just 0.98 gb. Sorry for my english. PACE

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zoltar1308 For This Useful Post:

PeruvianChick (04-04-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What you should do is, try deleting your cache from your browser.
    Do you like apples?

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

that 200mb is the OS and the space it works in (caches etc.) you wont be able to "get it back"

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elbeasto View Post
    I may be wrong but isn't this due to when connecting your phone to iTunes for the first time after JBing it and selecting the option "restore from back up" rather than "add new phone". I thought I read somewhere on these forums that doing the restore from backup option makes you loose a couple hundred megs every time you do it. Like I said I may be wrong but I read something like that at some point here. If you didnt do the restore from back up then Im not sure.. Im interested to know if you did though.
    noooo no no the reason we dont restore from backup is because it can cause problems. for example if your having a problem with an app off cydia, you restore from backup an then reinstall the app, the problem may still occur because your device will still be holding the app data which caused the problem in the 1st place..
    as far as im aware, restoring from backup will only suck up about 10-30mb because all it is (is) app data such as save games (these files are at the absolute most 10kb) and passwords etc.
    then again it depends how many apps and stuff you had when you made the backup

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

I had the same problem with my iPhone 4. The "other" had been around .6G but after I tried syncing a bunch of videos and music it jumped to 2.5G.

I did some searching and found that iTunes had transferred the m4v file of a movie to the phone but didn't have it in the database. I deleted the file and the other dropped back to a normal level.

Some notes:
    My phone is jailbroken so I am able to ssh to it to search and delete files.

The movie file (along with a bunch of songs that got abandoned also) were in the iTunes folder of the file system.
    The path is /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music

I would suggest doing a search for anything with .mp3/.mp4/.m4k/etc and deleting anything that has a normal/readable name. Do not delete anything with random letters as the file name. Those are legitimate files that iTunes knows about.

As with everything else you read on the internet, use this info at your own risk. I am just sharing what worked for me.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to catdaddy13 For This Useful Post:

PeruvianChick (04-04-2011)

Thanks

It's all cheese. It's filled with cheese

Did anyone notice that this
    was a really really old thread that a new forum user posted a response to?

Now 3 year old posts are being quoted and responded to
    Last edited by Effenpig!; 02-14-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltar1308 View Post
    on my iphone 4 just ssh in /private/var/spool/mdt and delete the file inside the mdt. Befor i delete i have 9.8 gb of other after i have just 0.98 gb. Sorry for my english. PACE
    this fixed for me. there were three copies of a movies I watched

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast